Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 17,557 times

Advertisements

I rent an apartment in seattle that says i cant smoke indoors, so when i go outside to smoke the upstairs neighbor complains to the landlord that she can smell the smoke and the landlord tells me i have to walk out to the alley or some other place to smoke. i know theres a 25 foot rule regarding smoking around a commercial place of business but whats the laws regarding rental apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 AM

321 posts, read 1,135,567 times
The landlord has the right to say no smoking anywhere in the house/apartment or on the premises. There is no designation of feet for a residence.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,637 times
^This.

Just to be a good neighbor, I would be considerate and honor the neighbor's wishes regardless of what the laws are. I smoke, so I understand the habit, but to non-smokers it's pretty foul and you can't blame them for not wanting the smell in/around their living area.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
You were a smoker when you moved in and you're a smoker now, you have the right to sit down right there at your door and smoke all you want. If any neighbors don't like it then they can shut their windows. Period. You have rights, too, and your wants and desires are to be considered just as much as other tenants.
I wish I could sit there with you. I'll bring a pack for you to smoke and I'll get my own, too.
We can sit outside smoking (and drinking?) until we can't stand it anymore.....then we'll start again early tomorrow morning.
I have the same problem here where I live and I say "screw them".
It's our right - do not budge or they'll want you to give up more rights.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Hmm... The reality is, in Seattle (I don't know about everywhere else)... the Non-smokers have all the power, everything is going to be slanted in their favor.

My friend's been going through the same thing. Neighbor complained, so she stopped smoking in apt. She moved to the alley, same neighbor complained because smoke was coming in the hallway (door was slightly ajar since you can't come in from outside). My friend moved to the outside front of the entrance... again, the same neighbor made complaints because she has to walk through it/be around it. My friend was going to go the parking lot, but gave up once she realized neighbor has car there. She can't just win here.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 AM

321 posts, read 1,135,567 times
Nope, legally, he has no right to smoke on the premises if the landlord tells him not to. He could move into a building where the owner doesn't care about the smoking, or maybe he could even look for a place where the owner encourages and supports smoking! Or he could buy his own house and smoke anywhere he wants on his own property line. There is nothing wrong with being a smoker, but the act of smoking is a behavior that can have restrictions placed on it by the building owner.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM

93 posts, read 263,878 times
Ouch apartments are the worst! I had a neighbor like that once. She complained about every little thing! One time I had to change the engine in my car and she even complained about that! Every unit gets two spaces so what's wrong with "parking" the old engine in MY second spot for a few days GEEZ! Instead of complaining, she should have come down and helped out, and it would have been done with that much sooner. Have you ever tried to pull an engine even with an engine lift all by yourself? It was rather challenging.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
You were a smoker when you moved in and you're a smoker now, you have the right to sit down right there at your door and smoke all you want. If any neighbors don't like it then they can shut their windows. Period. You have rights, too, and your wants and desires are to be considered just as much as other tenants.
I wish I could sit there with you. I'll bring a pack for you to smoke and I'll get my own, too.
We can sit outside smoking (and drinking?) until we can't stand it anymore.....then we'll start again early tomorrow morning.
I have the same problem here where I live and I say "screw them".
It's our right - do not budge or they'll want you to give up more rights.
mod cut: You have rights but the neighbor has right also. They should not have to put up will the smell of your toxic fumes. If you want to smoke at your front door, buy your own house and do it there.

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-19-2010 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: name calling against T.O.S.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:05 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post
mod cut: You have rights but the neighbor has right also. They should not have to put up will the smell of your toxic fumes. If you want to smoke at your front door, buy your own house and do it there.
Agreed. You can't live in an apartment/condo the way you do a single story detached home. That said, reasonable expectations. I stayed one summer in a highrise building on the 20th floor with a private "balcony". Upstairs neighbor who had a herd of children than ran up and down the hallway all day long did not approve. Well, I didn't approve of her pack of children thumping around either. You deal with it. It was unreasonably inconvenient for me to take the elevator down 20 stories and walk to the edge of the property (no smoking in common areas, including outdoors) for a smoke. I don't smoke indoors, which left the balcony.

In most apartments, it's thirty second stroll out to the parking lot, alley, untrafficked area, what have you. If they complain because they drove up and got a nanosecond whiff of second-hand smoke from fifty-feet away, that's their problem. You've done your part to compromise, now they can do theirs.

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-19-2010 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: quote edited

Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Agreed. You can't live in an apartment/condo the way you do a single story detached home. That said, reasonable expectations. I stayed one summer in a highrise building on the 20th floor with a private "balcony". Upstairs neighbor who had a herd of children than ran up and down the hallway all day long did not approve. Well, I didn't approve of her pack of children thumping around either. You deal with it. It was unreasonably inconvenient for me to take the elevator down 20 stories and walk to the edge of the property (no smoking in common areas, including outdoors) for a smoke. I don't smoke indoors, which left the balcony.

In most apartments, it's thirty second stroll out to the parking lot, alley, untrafficked area, what have you. If they complain because they drove up and got a nanosecond whiff of second-hand smoke from fifty-feet away, that's their problem. You've done your part to compromise, now they can do theirs.
I quit smoking, but when I did. I would just walk out to the parking lot. Kinda sucked in rain but, oh well. Life in a apartment complex can be .... well .. Complex!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area