Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM

27 posts, read 93,987 times

Advertisements

When relocating to Seattle and having no job from the start.

How hard is it going to be?

We are prepared to put down deposit + pet deposit + 3 or 4 months rent upfront.

This is my worst fear is being homeless and living in a hotel when we arrive because we won't have jobs and no family or friends to stay with either...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
I think with an apartment complex it will be extremely difficult. I don't know of any complexes that will rent to someone without proof of employment. You may have better luck from a private owner via Craig's List or the like.

Good luck.

V. =)

Old 09-28-2009, 11:15 PM

99 posts, read 609,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishToLiveInSeattle View Post
When relocating to Seattle and having no job from the start.

How hard is it going to be?

We are prepared to put down deposit + pet deposit + 3 or 4 months rent upfront.

This is my worst fear is being homeless and living in a hotel when we arrive because we won't have jobs and no family or friends to stay with either...............
why do you equate hotel living with being homeless? It's the best thing to do, come in, get a hotel, and spend a few days driving/walking around the city, trying to decide what feels right. You don't want to move into an apartment in a neighborhood that you don't know, and be trapped there for a year. look at the hotel as a way to get your feet wet without taking a terrifying dive.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 PM

23 posts, read 107,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaBella View Post
why do you equate hotel living with being homeless? It's the best thing to do, come in, get a hotel, and spend a few days driving/walking around the city, trying to decide what feels right. You don't want to move into an apartment in a neighborhood that you don't know, and be trapped there for a year. look at the hotel as a way to get your feet wet without taking a terrifying dive.
LucaBella is right on here. When my fiance and I moved up to Vancouver, BC, we reserved a hotel for 5 days. On the 3rd day, we put down a deposit for an apartment and moved in by the end of the week. It is totally possible to do and I would recommend you take that route. Don't put unneeded stress on yourself by having everything perfectly ready the day you get there. Chances are, not everything is going to go as well as you plan.

With regards to finding an apartment when you don't have a job, my fiance and I are in a similar situation as you. We drove up to Seattle last week and spent 2 days looking, applied for a place, and put down a deposit. Yes, without proving that we had a job lined up there in WA. What they cared about was knowing that you currently have a job (where ever you're living now) good credit history, and rental history. I believe they assume you're capable of finding a job, or at least paying the rent when you move up there.

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense having a job is not that important for them. Risky? Yea, but there are a lot of people out there like us, having just lost a job, or searching for a new career, and new life overall. But they could still manage to pay the rent, maybe due to other income or savings. So I think the strictness of the 'job requirement' policy, if it ever was a policy, has lessoned since the economy tanked. We found most apartment complexes to be pretty flexible with this. We looked in downtown Seattle and downtown Bellevue. It wasn't difficult at all. Maybe we were lucky?

Stay positive, research the neighborhoods you feel you're comfortable moving to, reserve a hotel for a few days and set a goal to lock down a place before your hotel stay is up. It can be done, and you'll be surprised it's not as hard as it seems. Depends on your personal situation though. We've done this a few times now and have become pretty good at it.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:34 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
Shoot, if you do the math on residential hotels, some of them are quite decent and cheaper than renting, or a mortgage. If it's just two of you, I think staying in one for a couple of weeks is a GREAT plan. As said above, you really want to get a feel for a place before committing. Moving is so hard -- you have to really hate your apt to overcome the inertia and get a new one -- pick carefully without having to worry so much about time.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 AM

I think a hotel might be hard for the OP because they imply in their post that they have pets.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 AM

27 posts, read 93,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I think a hotel might be hard for the OP because they imply in their post that they have pets.

Yes, we have 1 medium size and 1 larger size dogs. I really don't want to get rid of them and have to start over with raising a pet again. They are my babies and getting rid of them would be like giving my children up for adoption.

I could do it, but it would be very, very hard. And our black lab my husband does not want to get rid of her for sure, she is defiinitely daddy's baby.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:56 PM

23 posts, read 107,841 times
Just an idea, but you could get a hotel for you and your husband, and if you don't mind spending a bit more money, get a hotel for your dogs as well.

Google 'Seattle Dog Hotel' and you should find a place to keep your dogs safe while you search for your new home.

Downtown Dog Lounge | Seattle's Best Dog Daycare, Boarding, Grooming, and Training
Metro Dog Home Page

Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,183 times
I think with an apartment complex it will be extremely difficult. I don't know of any complexes that will rent to someone without proof of employment.

I find that hard to believe- how about all the retired people? They don't have proof of employment- most will just check your credit history

Old 09-29-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I find that hard to believe- how about all the retired people? They don't have proof of employment- most will just check your credit history
They have proof of retirement income in general. Without proof of income most corporate run complexes will not rent to you. I have heard stories of some considering it with a full year's worth of rent.

Every apartment complex we looked at in Issaquah wanted to see copies of current paystubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area