Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:02 PM

13 posts, read 34,313 times

Advertisements

Hello - I have been researching here and everywhere on the best places to live in the Seattle metro area. I am hoping you can confirm my ideas on where the best places to live would be for my family.

Job location: my husband has a new job at University of Washington's main campus. He will be working regular business hours plus off hours for events. Would prefer no more than 45 minute commute (we are coming from a place with a 5-minute commute, so any commute will be a rude awakening for us!). Open to public transit, but will want option to bring car for days that will end in a late night for events.

Our Budget We will rent initially. We expect to pay $2500-3000/month for a 3/2. We would be fine in 1600sf+.

Kids/Pets: We have two elementary-school children. We will need a school with a good gifted program. We also have two dogs, so a backyard of some kind is desired. We tend to prefer holistic education with a focus on character development and less on testing. Difficult, I know, in the public environment. I know the top districts are Bellevue, Lake Washington, Northshore, shoreline, Issaquah, etc. Private is not an option at this point.

Environment We are not urban-setting people - we are much more comfortable in a suburban environment. We are moving from a small college town in Virginia (40,000 people) and enjoy the smaller, close-knit atmosphere of seeing people at the grocery store that you know. We would like to be in a neighborhood setting - cul-de-sacs and community parks and such.

Lifestyle We are homebodies, but are eager to explore Seattle and beyond through the libraries, parks, zoo/museums, etc, plus the outdoor options. We are not overly outdoorsy people, but do enjoy something every couple months or so. We prefer a low-key lifestyle and want a down-to-earth place that is more about the kids and not cars, designer clothes, or 9-year-olds with the latest cell phones.

My husband visited for his interview and was able to tour some areas. He thought Issaquah was too rural/not developed enough for us and that Kirkland was cute. He didn't get a chance to visit Woodinville or Bothell area, but those are areas that I have been focusing on. I like the fact that he would have essentially two commute routes to go if needed.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:14 PM

8,184 posts, read 8,332,427 times
Absolutely, for your specific geographic, school and budget reasons, focus on Bothell and Northshore schools.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:42 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,889,303 times
The biggest killer to your whole deal might be the two dogs in a rental. The rental market for SFH is very tight and most landlords would prefer no pets. Also, though Seattle is a big city, most neighborhoods have exactly what you're looking for - cul de sacs, parks, community affairs, low key lifestyle ...

Old 06-13-2016, 04:37 PM

812 posts, read 1,064,932 times
UW job location....
I would strongly advise checking out some neighborhoods on the Seattle side. Traffic and tolls can really take its toll.

Otherwise, if that is not an issue for you, its a good choice...other than trying to find a rental that will take pets.

Kirkland Rose Hill area has easy access to a couple of park and rides that might have a direct bus to UW. It is worth checking into anyway.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:51 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,392,336 times
Look also at the Lake City area in NE Seattle. Schools: John Rogers K-5 "7", Eckstein 6-8 "9", and Nathan Hale 9-12 "8". Commute will be much more doable.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:49 PM

236 posts, read 290,097 times
Maybe check out lake forest park. I think some of it is in the Northshore school district and it might cut down on some of the commute. I like bothell too.

I know you like the suburbs but some of the neighborhoods in the north east part of Seattle, a little north of Magnuson park seem very neighborhoody and family friendly to me. Of course, big yards will be easier to come by in Bothell vs Seattle but a shorter commute might make it worthwhile.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Absolutely, for your specific geographic, school and budget reasons, focus on Bothell and Northshore schools.
Thank you so much!

Old 06-14-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
The biggest killer to your whole deal might be the two dogs in a rental. The rental market for SFH is very tight and most landlords would prefer no pets. Also, though Seattle is a big city, most neighborhoods have exactly what you're looking for - cul de sacs, parks, community affairs, low key lifestyle ...
Thanks for pointing this out about the dogs - I hadn't thought of that. Good to know most neighborhoods offer these items!

Old 06-14-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
UW job location....
I would strongly advise checking out some neighborhoods on the Seattle side. Traffic and tolls can really take its toll.

Otherwise, if that is not an issue for you, its a good choice...other than trying to find a rental that will take pets.

Kirkland Rose Hill area has easy access to a couple of park and rides that might have a direct bus to UW. It is worth checking into anyway.
An express bus would be a great option. I did see this on some of the transportation sites I have looked at. Thanks for your comments!

Old 06-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Look also at the Lake City area in NE Seattle. Schools: John Rogers K-5 "7", Eckstein 6-8 "9", and Nathan Hale 9-12 "8". Commute will be much more doable.
I'm concerned that this area would be too densely populated for us. Just looking at satellite images on google maps...and it appears to lack the neighborhood feel. Am I getting the wrong impression of this area? The commute definitely looks better! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area