Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:06 AM

361 posts, read 398,440 times

Advertisements

So my impression of Seattle folks were that they're nice and friendly prior to me moving here for my new job. Boy was i wrong.

I also notice that people here don't like to shake hands when meeting people, and tend to keep to themselves. As another person here has mentioned

Pierce County is also majority white/caucasian population where folks at work tend to stick to themselves. It's not just at my job, but also when I pass people on the street and in the stores. I smile, I also say hi, and some of them just ignore me. Same for my neighbors in my apartment complex. There is this one guy, I'm assuming he's from Kansas because of his vehicle license plate, where he just stares at me occasionally. I guess he's never seen an Asian guy before in his life. Beats me.

I also find the dating scene to be very bland in this area.

I would try the downtown Seattle area scene but it's too far of a drive for me.

I have attempted to do meetup.com events to get to know people in this area. Only to have me discouraged from attending these events because they are usually held near UW Seattle campus, or most of the events are held in downtown (i.e. Korean language get together).

However, I do like the scenery and the outdoor.. I just have not had the chance to try hiking, but don't want to go hiking by myself, as I am from out-of-state and not too familiar with the terrain here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 01:43 AM

278 posts, read 336,034 times
If you're in Puyallup and such, yeah it will seem like a whole different world than Seattle core and will be more similar to Alabama or Oklahoma. Lots of good 'ol boys with lifted pickup trucks and their pastime is having some beer at Uncle Willy's pub. Look for a new job in Seattle. That is where all the action is at.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:54 PM

171 posts, read 190,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo99 View Post
If you're in Puyallup and such, yeah it will seem like a whole different world than Seattle core and will be more similar to Alabama or Oklahoma. Lots of good 'ol boys with lifted pickup trucks and their pastime is having some beer at Uncle Willy's pub. Look for a new job in Seattle. That is where all the action is at.

Yup, I lived in Oklahoma for awhile. Puyallup is "Rednecksville"

Old 06-19-2016, 12:10 AM

278 posts, read 336,034 times
How did you like Oklahoma? There is a possibility that I may relocate there by the end of the year. My main concern is living in the heart of Tornado alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8weHrAGTrIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXNpMm5xdcU

Old 06-19-2016, 09:57 PM

450 posts, read 550,305 times
IMHO problem is a Korean (presumably from your posts) transplant moving to a place like Puyallup. I've worked in Puyallup and while I got along with my co-workers I agree with the other posters it is rather redneck-ish.

You would have a much different and better experience living in anywhere on the stretch of King - Snohomish Counties between Bellevue and Lynnwood. Can you move?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:34 PM

117 posts, read 143,407 times
You're not going to do much better in Seattle. People just dress different but the attitudes are the same.

Hiking is the best thing by far, definitely world class stuff to see, just get out and do it. Locals will act like you need some secret knowledge or you will immediately die, but as long as you don't try to climb Mount Rainier or go backcountry skiing it's no big deal to stay on a trail for a day hike. If you go on a sunny day or weekend, there will be dozens if not hundreds of people around if you twist an ankle or something. Bring layers in case it gets cold or wet and food and water for snacks, just like hiking anywhere else on earth.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Seattle would be slightly better than Puyallup in regards to diversity (actually, the Eastside and South SnoCo are better for that). But as far as outward friendliness, it's going to be the same. The OP is in for a huge disappointment if he wants an outgoing social life anywhere in the region. Not happening unless you find the right clique and stick to it (i.e. work for a major tech corp, go hardcore into mountain recreation, etc.). And even that can be hard to do. The PNW and especially Seattle is probably the most insular region I've ever been in. Not saying it's a bad thing, as some people like that.

I did do Meetup.com events when I lived there, but it was mostly older people (40+) that attended them, unless I went to a group that was specifically for 20's & 30's people.

And I feel the OP on the bad customer service. That was one of my biggest gripes. I'm talking about Seattle, so if Puyallup is bad too then the OP won't like the area.

Last edited by skidamarink; 06-23-2016 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 09:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
If you can stand to start hiking alone, eventually you will meet others who are more open-minded. Hikers and cyclists and other similar sports include a lot of good folks, and rednecks are a minority among them.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:06 AM

320 posts, read 513,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
So my impression of Seattle folks were that they're nice and friendly prior to me moving here for my new job. Boy was i wrong.

I also notice that people here don't like to shake hands when meeting people, and tend to keep to themselves. As another person here has mentioned

Pierce County is also majority white/caucasian population where folks at work tend to stick to themselves. It's not just at my job, but also when I pass people on the street and in the stores. I smile, I also say hi, and some of them just ignore me. Same for my neighbors in my apartment complex. There is this one guy, I'm assuming he's from Kansas because of his vehicle license plate, where he just stares at me occasionally. I guess he's never seen an Asian guy before in his life. Beats me.

I also find the dating scene to be very bland in this area.

I would try the downtown Seattle area scene but it's too far of a drive for me.

I have attempted to do meetup.com events to get to know people in this area. Only to have me discouraged from attending these events because they are usually held near UW Seattle campus, or most of the events are held in downtown (i.e. Korean language get together).

However, I do like the scenery and the outdoor.. I just have not had the chance to try hiking, but don't want to go hiking by myself, as I am from out-of-state and not too familiar with the terrain here.
I'm not sure why you're complaining about Seattle when you say you live/work in an area that's an hour(ish) away. Tacoma is not Seattle.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:07 AM

171 posts, read 190,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo99 View Post
How did you like Oklahoma? There is a possibility that I may relocate there by the end of the year. My main concern is living in the heart of Tornado alley.

Let me put it this way, Tornadoes will be the least of your problems if you move to Oklahoma :rolleyes

If you're INSANELY Religious, Caucasian, Racist, Hang out at Bars, LOVE College Sports, Voting for Donald Trump and listen to Country music, Then Oklahoma is >YOUR< place to be

Weather wise: It's HOT/Humid in the Summer and can get VERY VERY cold in winter, Few times a year a big ICE or Snow Storm hits and the city shuts down.

I do miss the cheap gas and BBQ though lo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area