Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:04 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times

Advertisements

I know this question is common sense and about what the local markets will bear price wise.

I have lived in Seattle since July 2015. A few days ago I was visiting my parents in the Los Angeles area and experienced sticker shock with LA prices while visiting my parents.

Me and my parents went to a movie theater chain in LA called the archlight. The archlight charges $20 for an adult movie ticket. In Seattle at the Thorton place movie theater near Northgate or the movie theater in Bellevue I pay $11.50 for a movie ticket prime time. Today at Fred Meyer in Greenwood I paid S17.99 a pound for fillet minougn steaks while at the grocery store near my parents house fillet minougn steaks go for $30 per pound. Halibut here in Seattle at QFC,Safeway or fred meyer is S20 per pound.
At the Gelsons market near my parents house fresh halibut is $40 per pound.

Fresh Washington Cherries were $1.99 per pound at Fred Meyer today while cherries at Gelsons market in LA were $6 per pound.

Peaches here in Seattle are $1.50 t0 $2 per pound while at Gelsons in LA peaches are $4 per pound.

Gas in LA was $1 more per gallon than in Seattle.

Cheesecake factory in downtown Seattle charges $7-$8 for a piece of cheesecake while in LA cheesecake factory charges $11-$12 for piece of cheesecake.

My apartment in Northgate Seattle costs $1200 a month including utilities and I have a washer/dryer inside my unit. An apartment com[parable to my Seattle apartment near my parents house In LA would run between $1800 a month to $2200 per month.

I think at this point I'm going to stay living in Seattle.

At a singles group that I go to there is this woman who thinks that LA has cheaper apartments and cheaper grocery prices than Seattle. I disagree with this woman.

Interestingly the minimum wage in LA is $10 an hour verses $13 per hour in Seattle.

Some things just don't make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Some of those examples are easily explained, like the cherries and halibut, which have to travel a lot farther to LA. Also, your parents are probably living in a nice area. There are some areas of LA where apartments are less than in Seattle. We were down there in May, and also noticed beer, bacon, and milk were a lot more expensive. As for remaining here, there are far more benefits to living here over LA than just the cost of living.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
I think there are couple of things going on here. First, Seattle is one of the fastest growing cities and metros in the country. This certainly is bringing up prices, mostly in housing (both rent and purchase), but tends to be more noteworthy in the downtown, south lake union, and other in-town areas, along with the coveted Eastside cities of Bellevue Kirkland, Redmond, etc. The other part of this equation is many long-time residents and/or natives see this and are either dismayed by the rising costs, or secretly liking it as their property continues to inflate.

But to your main point, while Seattle has become more expensive, it is not nearly the cost of major cities in California. In fact, Portland is now closer to Seattle in COL than Seattle is to The Bay Area, or L.A.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:20 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Some of those examples are easily explained, like the cherries and halibut, which have to travel a lot farther to LA. Also, your parents are probably living in a nice area. There are some areas of LA where apartments are less than in Seattle. We were down there in May, and also noticed beer, bacon, and milk were a lot more expensive. As for remaining here, there are far more benefits to living here over LA than just the cost of living.
You are right Milk is way more expensive in LA than in Seattle. Milk in LA is $4-$5 per gallon.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:15 PM

117 posts, read 143,451 times
Location, Location, Location

Old 07-05-2016, 12:36 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
And can depend on where you shop. Big difference between Safeway/QFC/Fred Meyer and Whole Foods/PCC/Ralphs. In California, Safeway = Von's.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
L.A. Metro has a population of 17 million compared to Seattle at less than 4 million. For all the talk of Seattle's growth it still has a long way to go to even crack the top 10, sitting around 15th right now. Moving from Atlanta (another larger metro) I found the food costs much much higher in Seattle with much less competition and selection.

That said, if you had visited one of the new southern California Aldi's you may be asking why food costs so much more in Seattle According to this piece that gallon of milk in a CA aldi's will cost you $2.45.

Discount grocery chain Aldi opens first eight Southern California stores - LA Times

Usually people explain the high prices based on our location and many things being trucked or flown in...the lack of selection I am not sure, probably because we are a smaller metro and many are willing to pay more for their groceries.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:43 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times
Gelson's is a corollary to Whole Foods. Comparing Gelson's to QFC is not really valid. Compare Ralph's to QFC and Von's to Safeway. If you compare LA farmers markets to Seattle or Ranch 99 (Asian ethnic market) between LA and Seattle you get much lower prices in LA.

In general though, Seafood and cherries are cheaper here. Overall I think the LA area has cheaper grocery prices, especially for farm fresh produce, particularly in the fall/winter.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,228 times
We had an Aldis down the street when I lived in NJ. Terrible selection of food. Maybe they vary from place to place but that was my experience. It was all no name stuff you could buy from a dollar store and the meat selection was a joke.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Their selection has improved dramatically in the last three years, especially with regards to organics and produce. But if brand name is what you seek, Aldi's is not the place for that. I didn't find it to be dollar store quality and actually really like their private label natural/organic brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
We had an Aldis down the street when I lived in NJ. Terrible selection of food. Maybe they vary from place to place but that was my experience. It was all no name stuff you could buy from a dollar store and the meat selection was a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area