Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 08:20 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times

Advertisements

Solo Seattle car commuters drop to lowest number ever - Curbed Seattle

1. Seattle 48.5% -8.8%
2. Boston 37.4% -5.9%
3. San Francisco 35.3% -4.5%
4. Washington DC 33.6% -3.9%
5. Chicago 49.5% -3.8%
6. New York 21.8% -1.8%

Seattle is doing this without a mature mass transit system, unlike the other major cities with fewer than 50% SOV commuters. Where will we be in another ten years?

Quote:
The Census numbers also provide a little insight into why these numbers might be changing. The number of Seattleites biking to work is up 135 percent in the last decade and those walking to work is also up to a new high of 10.7 percent. Some of that has to do with the increased ease of that option thanks to evolving housing and development in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 10:09 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
The fact that it's related as a percentage and not absolute numbers doesn't give a whole lot of insight into what happened. Downtown was a residential dead zone 10 years ago.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:51 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
These numbers sure don't jive with what I see - more often than not, the HOV lanes are wide open while four lanes are filled with SOV. I'm guessing these numbers are self-reported, people afraid to confess they drive alone. Even, then it still says half drive alone ... high compared to other cities.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
When I started this job in Seattle (2009) I was in a van pool for about a year, that turned into a car pool. As people left, the car pool dissolved. I have been on the bus now since 2011, though I drive (alone) most Fridays. What I have noticed is that traffic has gotten worse every year, but at the same time the buses have gotten more crowded from Seattle via Bellevue to Issaquah. I truly believe that more people are taking public transportation or carpooling, finding it more relaxing to surf on their mobile device and rest while zooming along in the HOV lanes. At the same time, many more people are moving here and that makes up for any benefit to the commute.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When I started this job in Seattle (2009) I was in a van pool for about a year, that turned into a car pool. As people left, the car pool dissolved. I have been on the bus now since 2011, though I drive (alone) most Fridays. What I have noticed is that traffic has gotten worse every year, but at the same time the buses have gotten more crowded from Seattle via Bellevue to Issaquah. I truly believe that more people are taking public transportation or carpooling, finding it more relaxing to surf on their mobile device and rest while zooming along in the HOV lanes. At the same time, many more people are moving here and that makes up for any benefit to the commute.
From the article:

Quote:
The number of commuters who bike to work remained steady at four percent while those who commuted via transit remains relatively the same at 21 percent. That’s not bad given the job growth numbers and the fact that both options are only becoming easier around the region.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
These numbers sure don't jive with what I see - more often than not, the HOV lanes are wide open while four lanes are filled with SOV. I'm guessing these numbers are self-reported, people afraid to confess they drive alone. Even, then it still says half drive alone ... high compared to other cities.
It is census data (American Communities Survey) - while the specific percentages have "a fairly large margin of error" (from linked source), the overall downward trend, over a decade, is clear. The article states that it is "Share of workers driving alone to work by place of residence", so includes only Seattle residents, I presume, so for corresponding numbers for cities outside of Seattle, you'd need to hunt down the numbers for those cities.

The article states: "The number of commuters who bike to work remained steady at four percent while those who commuted via transit remains relatively the same at 21 percent." That, despite a significant increase in population over the decade.

Note: Seattle overwhelmingly voted for, while County voters rejected, increasing transit funding. If transit use in the County is not keeping pace with population growth, suburban voters only have themselves to blame.

Actually, if you'd bothered to read the article, you would have seen that half commuting alone is low compared to other cities - only the major cities I listed have less than half commuting alone.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
If the complaints about people not interacting are true, then I suppose it doesn't matter if another person is in the car, LOL. They help pay the expenses.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:52 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Downtown Seattle, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, The Central District, etc have seen tremendous development over the last few years, and these are neighborhoods close enough to work that most of them wouldn't be driving to work. so it's not so much a case of existing residents changing their lifestyle as much as new apartment building being built close to work.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Downtown Seattle, Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, The Central District, etc have seen tremendous development over the last few years, and these are neighborhoods close enough to work that most of them wouldn't be driving to work. so it's not so much a case of existing residents changing their lifestyle as much as new apartment building being built close to work.
That certainly accounts for some of the decrease in SOV commuters in Seattle. On the other hand, transit from neighborhoods further north of those mentioned above are bulging with riders, even with additional buses/trips. Overall, transit use is tracking population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area