Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 01:51 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times

Advertisements

Seems like everyone's getting a lot of them. "I want to buy your house; I can pay cash and close right away."

We get them fairly often (often leaving my name out of it like it's the 19th century...) A friend of mine with a house in Crown Hill gets many more- even to the point of phone calls.

We just got another. Guy went so far as to type up a purchase and sale agreement with price.

Am I correct in assuming that these are lowball offers that aren't as much as the person would get in a regular sale? What about the fact that there'd be no realtor commission? Some of them are probably house flippers, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 03:03 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Seems like everyone's getting a lot of them. "I want to buy your house; I can pay cash and close right away."

We get them fairly often (often leaving my name out of it like it's the 19th century...) A friend of mine with a house in Crown Hill gets many more- even to the point of phone calls.

We just got another. Guy went so far as to type up a purchase and sale agreement with price.

Am I correct in assuming that these are lowball offers that aren't as much as the person would get in a regular sale? What about the fact that there'd be no realtor commission? Some of them are probably house flippers, yes?
Wouldn't say "often" here in NorKirk (Kirkland) but it does happen. Usually some Eastern European halfwit who thinks he's smarter than everyone else, offering asinine money for three-quarter to million-five properties. I have no idea or interest if they are "flippers."

More interesting are the well thought out greeting cards by reputable local realtors, personalized, explaining what their client is looking for, plus price range that is reasonable for market. Haven't seen one in a few months, but always intriguing.

I'm tempted to ask for ten percent over market, in a suitcase full of cash closing in fifteen days, one of these days. Probably won't, but nice to think about in an idle way.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:11 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Get an independent appraisal. I call these cash offer real estate mailers "we steal equity from people who don't know how much their home is worth".

Old 10-27-2016, 05:55 PM

332 posts, read 398,271 times
Of course they are trying to rip you off. Let the market determine the value of your home, especially in this market.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Makes sense. I was surprised at the offer- higher than I thought. So house probably worth more than I thought. It's idle curiosity at this point. I have a very ill tenant in there and don't want to have her lose her only home. I might not sell for a few years.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Makes sense. I was surprised at the offer- higher than I thought. So house probably worth more than I thought. It's idle curiosity at this point. I have a very ill tenant in there and don't want to have her lose her only home. I might not sell for a few years.
House prices have gone waaay up, higher in some parts of the Seattle area than they were at the 2007 peak.
That doesn't mean they won't continue to go up. And if you've got an ill tenant, and having the rental helps, or at least doesn't require a monthly subsidy, you'll be fine. And yes, like everyone above said, those unsolicited offers are generally low, lowball offers. You'd make a lot more selling on the open market, even after paying a commission.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
These offers can be legit, for a fair price. and a QUICK transaction.

BTW: it IS fair market! Do your due diligence, that certainly is not hard since WA is a full disclosure state.

I pay my RE Lawyer $500 / hr, she can offer legal advice.

my realtor made $8,000/ hr on my last commercial sale in May. (He sold to one of my previous contract holders, so claimed he spent 5 hrs on the transaction.) Maybe so, it was a $40k windfall for him. I made far less that that for having my capital at risk for many yrs. But... everyone has to make a living I'm still eat'n and driving a 35 yr old car, so I'm happy, and my charitable contributions were well fed this yr.

So... if you want to lay an extra $20 - $40k on the table, buy and sell conventionally. You will help stimulate the economy. It's Certainly appreciated by WA State! (More RE excise tax for them! Yum, they LUV that!)

Old 10-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
With such unprecedented demand, and multiple offers over asking, naturally there will be people trying to take advantage. These offers may actually be reasonable based on the value of the home, but since a sale price is what someone is willing to pay for it, opening up to the general market will yield much more. It's a quick and easy way to get the money but you could be leaving a lot on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area