Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,063 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Arizona to somewhere in Seattle. Trying to find out where the best place to live? That has a younger crowd and good area to meet new people. Will be working in Woodinville and dont mind a lil commute to work. I heard Belltown was nice? Any suggestions will help?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 AM

38 posts, read 134,572 times
Default Welcome!

Hey Andy,
Welcome to the northwest!!! I just moved here three months ago, and boy, what a ride it's been. Maybe I can help you avoid some of my mistakes.
First, if I were you I would stay north of downtown. Just a preference really, because spotty neighborhoods are in any big city every few blocks, right? For a younger crowd I would look in Belltown, Queen Anne Hill, and Capitol Hill. All these areas are pretty expensive, but you can find deals if you keep looking. I wouldn't rent anything without seeing it first, because Seattle has some really old buidings that no one has torn down yet. Please don't innundate me with attacking posts from that remark, you know it's true. I live in Greenwood, and I so love it. It's a little farther north, near Greenlake and Ballard, but still only 10 minutes from downtown, and very eclectic. There's a space travel supply shop on the drag. Haven't needed to go there yet, still working on my rocket. Good luck, and if you want to fit in, buy some North Face sportswear!! ha ha.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I completely agree that you shouldn't rent a place sight unseen.
And I also agree that there are some older buildings, still being rented out, that should have been torn down years ago. But...
1. There are also some great nice older buildings in good shape, and
2. It is a block by block thing,so I wouldn't necessarily rule out Central and South. Columbia City is south and considered very vibrant, active, and hip. I'm an old fart and I wouldn't want to live there, but they've got live music and theatre and art galleries and brewpubs and restaurants...some of Columbia City is still sketchy, but some of it is just fine..also the Central District, really close to downtown, used to be the "ghetto" but has seen a lot of changes in recent years, a lot of it has become nice, and too expensive in recent years. They've got a Trader Joes in the Central District, and a bunch of hip cafes.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,063 times
Thanks for the advice. A couple more questions? Do you think living in the downtown area and commuting to Woodinville is to far? Do you know any nice apts. or lofts in the downtown (belltown area) that u would reconmend? Price is not a huge deal for me, just want something nice and in a safe friendly area. thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 PM

34 posts, read 117,831 times
Hi Andy! I think Belltown or Cap Hill are your best bets for nightlife. As far as conveniences, I would have to say Cap Hill. I am 29 and I live on Cap Hill and all amenities (grocery stores, tattoos, coffee houses, bars and downtown shopping/movies) are within walking distance. To Woodinville, you will be going in the opposite direction of traffic, which doesn't mean there won't be any. Traffic can get pretty ugly during morning and afternoon rush hours, but if you get your timing down to a tee, it can be avoided for the most part (might mean getting out of the house earlier or later than you would like). I personally walk to work, but when I have driven, leaving the house 15 minutes off schedule made a difference of 30 minutes on the road.

Belltown and Cap Hill can get a little rowdy - as in any major metro city, you will also be dealing with some transients, etc that comes with the territory. If you prefer nice and safe I would suggest housing closer to your work and commuting downtown for nightlife (traffic won't be bad that way either). But if you can handle some rowdiness, you can be in the thick of it and party time can be right around the corner.

There are tons of apts and condos/lofts in all of these areas from ultra modern to vintage "old world charm". You should plan a trip out here and hit a few different places before you decide on one. That way you can get a feel for the neighborhood and which one would suit you best - they both have their own distinctive qualities and crowds.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,966 times
Hi Andy: Regarding your commute question, do you have a fixed time when you need to be at work or is your schedule flexible? If you have to be at work by a certain time you'll have to leave early most days to allow for the times when the commute will take longer.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I wouldn't commute from downtown Seattle to Woodinville...too far, too many traffic headaches, but plenty of people do it and don't seem to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: