Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:02 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times

Advertisements

It is completely terrible the number of incidents in South Seattle the last 4 months.
62 incidents! Seattle is basically pretty ghetto in a lot of places.

Woman shot and killed during purse snatching | KING5.com

It is really much safer in Vancouver BC if you can afford it and deal with even worse traffic. My folks live in Beacon Hill, bars are all over the house and they don't leave for long vacations due to worry about break ins.

All this for a house valued at over 500k. How ironic that a house that expensive buys such excess worry over crime. They have a valid reason. I will not expand on it, the links proves the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 12:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
One of my employees rented a house in S Beacon Hill and had a breakin two months later. After a year, they had to move, as the owners decided to sell and take advantage of the economy. 2 br 1 ba and 80 years old, $450k. Despite the crime nearby, people still want to live in Seattle, and move to where they can afford the prices. The same house in Ballard would be $600k.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I don't trust for a moment the recommendations that we see here from time to time that the south end has changed and gentrified. The occurrence of frequent "incidents" shouldn't surprise anyone, IMO.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't trust for a moment the recommendations that we see here from time to time that the south end has changed and gentrified. The occurrence of frequent "incidents" shouldn't surprise anyone, IMO.
Gentrification drives up prices, and eventually lowers crime, but in the transition the criminals have a better opportunity with more and better stuff to steal.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:16 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
It's NOTHING compared to 30 years ago.

I'm laughing at the idea of a grown man "needing" a gun in the city.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Washington State has some of the most lenient property-crimes laws in the nation. I bet this is an incentive for shifty individuals to live in Washington and carry-out their dirty-deeds.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:46 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Except it has. South Seattle is huge, and many of the parts of the south end that used to be dangerous aren't anymore. But gentrification is a slow process. The Central District was supposedly gentrifying 25 years ago, but it's only been the last few years that it's really been transformed in a major way. Twenty years ago Columbia City had high crime and empty storefronts. Now it's vibrant and thriving and much safer.
Also, when you look at crime statistics within the city, it's not like the north end is immune from crime or even significantly less than the south end(Some months it is, some months it isn't).
Murders have happened in Bellevue and Greenlake. But when you read about those, nobody talks about how bad those neighborhoods are.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:50 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's NOTHING compared to 30 years ago.

I'm laughing at the idea of a grown man "needing" a gun in the city.
I've been mugged twice at gunpoint in South Seattle. Whats so funny about packing after that.
You seem to laugh as easily as the town idiot.

Last edited by 87112; 12-19-2016 at 07:21 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 06:51 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Thank you Ira, can't rep you again.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:42 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
I think one of the problems here is that in general, Seattle is pretty safe. It tends to lure one into a false sense of security, leading to complacency and bad decisions. Listen, this is a great place but a big city, bad things can happen. I felt the same when I was walking the streets of Kathmandu Nepal at 10PM last month. My motto "believe in good but watch your back".
Don't be stupid or think you are immune to violence. Get an alarm system, be hyper aware of your surroundings, maybe a little more in certain parts of town and certain times of day, keep personal space between you and others when you feel there is any cause for alarm, keep personal space between your car and others when driving and stopped, so you can bolt as necessary. Get big, get loud, act a little crazy when necessary, bad people often will choose a more quiet victim. By all means, if you are confronted directly, give them what they want, it's not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area