Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times

Advertisements

In most cities outside of Seattle, you do have to pay for water/sewage now. Didn't used to be that way. Not all places are like that though. My mom says it's because of mgmt companies coming up here from CA because that's how they do it down there. LOL So there's another "CA transplants are not welcome" vote for you all. Not my personal belief, BTW.

In Renton, my water bill for this month is $101. I live in a 3 bedroom with 6 kids though, so we use alot of water. When I had us in a 2 bedroom a couple yrs ago in the same apt complex, it was only around $60. My older kids weren't doing their own laundry or taking a half hour in the shower then either. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Using Kent as an example--I should expect that my rent will reflect these taxes, and I will be billed separately for Garbage and Cable (of course). Did I understand this correctly?
They usually bill water/sewer/garbage together, if the tenant pays. Cable is a whole other ball of wax...totally separate.

I personally haven't noticed any apartment I've lived in take consideration that you pay for water into the rent price.

For instance, where I live now...my apts used to pay up to $60 of your water bill and everything over that was on you. Now we have to pay all of our own and my rent certainly didn't go down...it still went up during lease renewal time, actually.

The ones I've seen that still do pay for water are usually the lower rent apts, for some reason.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:26 AM

51 posts, read 191,379 times
Renters have always paid for water. They are just being billed directly for it now instead of having it rolled into the rent.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
As a City of Los Angeles apartment dweller, let me assure you that I have never had to pay water or trash. Only gas, electricity, and of course, cable TV. (And now that I've stuck my nose in, I'm leaving quietly...)

Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 AM

209 posts, read 820,532 times
Pay for use is the "American" way.

Do you want to subsidize your neighbor who keeps the thermostat at 74 while you keep it at 68? How about the neighbor with 4 kids and 6 baths per day vs your 1 or 2 if you are single or just a couple. Same goes for garbage.

Base rent + utilities is the fair way to go.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 13,456 times
I've lived and rented in many places in CA and NEVER had to pay water. Me and my husband have rented in San Luis Obispo, Los Osos, Paso Robles, and never paid our own water bill. Before moving to the Central Coast I was in Pasadena and my husband in San Jose, and both the places we rented we never paid water. Since some of you believe thats how things are always done in CA you are wrong. I'm sure some places must have the renter pay for their own water, but it's definitely not the norm.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Well in all fairness, I did say mom blamed it on CA, but she's lived here all her life, so I'm not sure how she would know. She obviously heard it from someone else.

On the other hand, I've heard from friends that are from LA that you usually have to supply your own appliances, which is usually not the case here.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
It has actually been the policy of the Energy Department to encourage individual unit metering for utilities to encourage conservation.

I believe you will find the tenant is almost always responsible for the utilities when they are metered separately.

Water bills used to be quite reasonable in days gone by... today, it is not uncommon to find the actual charge for the water used is only a small portion of the monthly bill.

Water Treatment, Sewage, Infrastructure, Elevation and Pumping Fees, Seismic Fees, Franchise Tax Fees and Taxes often make up 60 to 70% of a typical urban bill.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:31 PM

142 posts, read 558,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
That is a bummer...for me. I've never heard of renters paying for water. I've lived all over the country (except the South) and never paid water as a renter. Are there other renter costs which might be conducive to the Seattle area?

What can I expect that water bill to be--say for a 1 or 2 bdr apartment in Des Moines/Kent/Federal Way area? Are utilities "cheaper" in the Burbs versus the City?
I think this would depend on the kind of place you are living in. If you are in Seattle and renting a house, duplex or condo, you will most likely have to pay your own water. It's pretty high too. Well, the water isn't but the sewer is tagged onto it and based on it and it is about three times the water bill due to an expensive sewage plant being paid off. So if there is a water meter, the landlord will stick you with it. As for other costs, you will pay your own electricity (not too high) and natural gas (doubled this year) and oil if there is oil heating (out of sight now as far as cost goes). You will also pay for trash unless in an apartment setting. (And yard waste if in a house) Recycling is free.

All in all, depending on your lifestyle and the number of people in your family, you should figure 200 to 300 extra a month for all this. Maybe a bit more in the winter for a big place or one with oil heat.

This of course does not account for internet, phone, and TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area