Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:16 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times

Advertisements

Blue, come skiing with me at Stevens Pass. 300 inches this year, it's been epic. Have you been up? Last year was pretty great too. A little slushy here and there but quite a bit of powder and nice conditions, glades and jumps have been sweet.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 02-25-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 03:40 PM

310 posts, read 446,916 times
I've lived in the burbs/rural area all my 53 years. They've ruined Seattle area. They have not managed growth at all. Issaquah is ruined. Too much traffic, cookie cutter homes, apartments the 20 year olds can't afford, my taxes!! It used to be affordable for middle class. Not anymore. Huge homeless and drug problems. We built our "retirement" home" and cost us over $22k for building permit! Now my taxes just raised to $8500 year. Tech companies are bringing people from all over country and outside of country. My 26 and 28 year old have middle class jobs, but can't afford rent that is priced for tech employees. I will hAve to work part time to be able to retire and afford taxes to live in my home State. I will be forced to move to retire and I resent how the King County Council votes and forgets us middle class folk in the burbs and rural areas.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:11 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Yes, depending on your priorities. If all you care about is building your personal net worth, and aren't an entrepreneur, then it's not the right place for you. Get a tech job in the midwest, at the same pay, and bank you change in COL. However, if you like to ski, kayak, climb, mountain bike, fish, breathe fresh air, eat fresh food, having a walkable city, etc then why would you go anywhere else? It's all in your priorities. There's places in this country for all types.
Sure. Don't build your net worth. Get to be 50 years old and realize you haven't the TIME to build any. All I'm saying is don't get so caught up the "excitement' of some "happening town" and wake up one day to realize you've been sucked drying in the name of excitement.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:36 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Well, let's see. I spend 50% of my time in Seattle. On Monday I skied all day. Great day. Worked Tuesday through Thursday, then went mountain biking. Yesterday I did a long road ride. Kayaked this morning for a few hours. Tomorrow going skiing again. So, yes, I get out all the time. I also walk or ride my bike pretty much everywhere when I'm in town. That's what I love about Seattle.

Last edited by Stonepa; 02-25-2017 at 08:46 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 08:40 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
Sure. Don't build your net worth. Get to be 50 years old and realize you haven't the TIME to build any. All I'm saying is don't get so caught up the "excitement' of some "happening town" and wake up one day to realize you've been sucked drying in the name of excitement.
Good god, why else are you living? Just to lead a boring life saving for some boring future? If you watch what you are doing you can max your 401k, your IRA, pay your bills, and stay in Seattle. But you have to make choices. Public transport or a bike instead of car ownership. No cable. Get a room mate. Watch the cash spent at the bars and eating out. Live where it's cheaper. One of my buddies lives on the water in Burien and didn't pay an arm and a leg for his house. Same for another who lives in Kent. Prioritize whatever makes you tick. You can do it.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:32 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
The lack of sun is the real killer. Oct-Mid April totally worn me down. I literally had to drag myself to do things good for myself and my health. And when it was nice the tennis courts were jammed and everyone was out creating traffic. Sometimes enough traffic during the weekend that it felt like a weekday 3pm to 4pm traffic. It worn me out and I left. Now things are worse more expensive and crowded for the same " Seattle Experience" as before. California gets the sunshine tax and Western Washington gets the cloud/gloom tax. I rather pay the sun tax. I love bicycles and motorsports, Western WA took half of my opportunites to ride, save gas, away due to the weather. Its very depressing up there when the calendar hits October, in my mind I wanted to be in a coma for 6 months and only to wake up during the NFL playoffs and Superbowl and my favorite TV shows. I am being a bit corny but really when Fall hits in the region its a mini death to the soul if you love Sunshine. I am glad to be out and never have to do it again.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
I moved to Seattle in '89 from Tacoma, grew up in Gig Harbor so lifetime Puget Sound guy.
First apt. was on Queen Ave N and Aloha, had the ultimate view, Science Center, Space Needle, Elliott Bay, and Mt. Rainer and was making $28k/yr. Me and my bud could afford it at $750/mnth.

Today at 3 times the wage I'd never be able to live there. Fortunately I bought in 2002 in White Center and maintain a nice home even though many consider it the Seattle area "ghetto".

Fortunately I work in the Georgetown area (South side) so don't have to travel much in city, if I did I'd be hating life.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 PM

Sockeye, I've helped a few of my clients buy homes in White Center and I think it is pretty cool. To me, besides being relatively affordable, it is one of the most authentic places left in the region. It hasn't really been affected much by gentrification, you can still get an honest burger and beer and there are some great ethnic hole in the wall eateries. One of my favorites is a little Khmer Cambodian place called Queen Deli. Sweet people, very reasonable prices, have you been? Very tasty.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:35 AM

305 posts, read 450,109 times
I lived in Seattle for about 8 years before moving out a couple years ago. When I was there, I was absolutely disgusted with it, and I swore the people, the weather, the oppressively liberal culture, and everything else about the place was ruining my life. Now that I have been gone for a while, I think I can more rationally assess Seattle and my time in it. Sure, there are definitely some rarities for quality of life that you won't find anywhere else - the mountains, the access to nature, the affordable skiing. But those aspects make it a better place to visit than live. At the end of the day, the relentless gray weather and introversion of people was just too much for me to endure 365 days a year.

I still go back often for work, and I am awed by the lack of energy and what appears to be, from an outsider perspective, a real void of joy and camaraderie amongst the masses. It's hard to find another city in America where people will sit quietly at bars not talking to eachother or staring at their phones for long periods of time, completely withdrawn from their environment. I am still convinced it's the weather that has this transformative effect on people - it's hard to emotionally and mentally overcome living beneath a wet cloud for 9 months of the year. Fortunately, it also reminds me that I wasn't imagining it when I lived there, as so many members of my less-than-supportive social circle had me believe. I think now they can see how much more positive, energetic and successful I have become since I moved, and they realize that Seattle truly wasn't a good fit for me. But to each their own - they will never understand my urge to escape Seattle, and I will never understand how they aren't completely delusional for wanting to stay. Some places just aren't meant for some people.

Last edited by DP79; 02-26-2017 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 09:02 AM

DP, guess you haven't been to Nectar, my favorite reggae and world music venue in Fremont. You probably haven't been to Seamonster in Wallingford either, great funk/jazz club. Both places are vibrant, light hearted and fun. I actually agree with some of the things you say but I think a lot of it is personal choice. In winter, the people up skiing are joyful. In summer, it's the people outside, in nature, exercising and moving their bodies. In town, some places are reserved and some are anything but. I think you have to take effort to engage people here, friendship isn't thrown around casually. It's also important to have sincere interests, that's how you find your tribe. Home brewing, folk music, hiking, art, mountain biking, volunteering. Anyone I know who has truly engaged in the community seems to be overloaded with friends, things to do.

I have great friends, a full life and many places I love in Seattle. I'll take you out for raucous, fun night next time you come back. Guess it depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area