Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
What are they doing with all the marijuana tax money? I'm seeing a worsening of the homeless situation and the roads really need improvement. That, combined with this crazy proposed tax on sugary beverages (yes, I mainly disapprove of a sin tax on those, but my concern is mostly with the amount: two cents an ounce) makes me look askance at him.
Washington has no income tax and lower property taxes than Texas. They replace it with sin taxes. Last I looked, we were #3 in the nation for sin taxes. Marijuana and sugary drinks sound like candidates for that and marijuana has given us a quarter of a billion dollars in tax revenue. I doubt too many Washingtonians care about taxing sugar drinks but coffee could be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:54 AM

61 posts, read 70,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Where is the proof that Seattle's economy is "false"? For a data analyst that should have been easy to back up but when asked, complete silence.

It's odd that people that don't live here would want to come here to comment negatively, whether it's our mayor or anything else. Vacation here? By all means, vacation somewhere else. I don't feel compelled to posts negatively in the Bay Area and I'm there all the time, (far more than nine days). Why someone that doesn't live here feels their opinion on our mayor is noteworthy is what is really odd.

No, they were just noting what I thought as well and I was not having a bad day. Our mayor has zero effect on someone that doesn't live here and by all means, there are other places to live.
End of story. If you want to come up to here, and comment about negative things, try having a solution. . What kind of person sits at home and bad mouths another cities' mayor? What has this mayor done to you??

Not sure where OP is from, but it must be much less exciting than here. I'm sure us in Seattle don't give two thoughts to your city government. Because we don't care, and just want to enjoy our own life. Making a six page troll thread and only responding to me is pretty low.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:34 PM

158 posts, read 296,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burltodenver View Post
End of story. If you want to come up to here, and comment about negative things, try having a solution. . What kind of person sits at home and bad mouths another cities' mayor? What has this mayor done to you??

Not sure where OP is from, but it must be much less exciting than here. I'm sure us in Seattle don't give two thoughts to your city government. Because we don't care, and just want to enjoy our own life. Making a six page troll thread and only responding to me is pretty low.
Please accept my apology. Judging by the comments on KING 5, KOMO, Q13, KIRO, Seattle Times and the P.I., it seems that most Seattleites aren't happy with the direction the mayor is taking the city. A city I do love and would hate to see it go down hill. and I was simply trying to engage in conversation concerning that. But I guess I was wrong. I certainly hope he does wonderful things for the city of Seattle. There was no trolling intended as Bultodenver put it. But I digress.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:35 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
What are they doing with all the marijuana tax money? I'm seeing a worsening of the homeless situation and the roads really need improvement. That, combined with this crazy proposed tax on sugary beverages (yes, I mainly disapprove of a sin tax on those, but my concern is mostly with the amount: two cents an ounce) makes me look askance at him.
The marijuana tax money goes to the State, not the City. What does that have to do with Murray?

While I'm not a big fan of sin taxes (they disproportionately impact the poor), our regressive state tax system doesn't provide a lot of alternatives. On the sugary beverages tax, if it means poor mothers will give their kids milk, instead of soda or Kool-Aid, that would be a big plus. Childhood obesity and diabetes is a huge issue.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG05200 View Post
Please accept my apology. Judging by the comments on KING 5, KOMO, Q13, KIRO, Seattle Times and the P.I., it seems that most Seattleites aren't happy with the direction the mayor is taking the city. A city I do love and would hate to see it go down hill. and I was simply trying to engage in conversation concerning that. But I guess I was wrong. I certainly hope he does wonderful things for the city of Seattle. There was no trolling intended as Bultodenver put it. But I digress.
I don't know, Ed Murray seems popular enough:

Approval rating of Seattle police reaches new high in latest independent survey | The Seattle Times

I don't care what the mayor in LA does, so to each his own. The OP definitely did not read as "engaging in conversation" but since I live in Seattle, I don't care what people in other cities think. Seattle is hardly going downhill, if anything, one could say it's growing too fast. For those that don't like it, the country is large and there's many other choices.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM

61 posts, read 70,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG05200 View Post
You still don't get it. No one here needs your apology. We don't care.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:49 PM

158 posts, read 296,793 times
Quote:
Wow! What an ass****!

Old 02-24-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Exactly. He's our mayor and people that don't live here don't vote for him. Pretty straightforward and it looks like he's popular enough too.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:57 PM

412 posts, read 386,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
A soda tax is a great idea. It doesn't cost much and it taxes bad decisions. (I make bad decisions too, but don't mind having a gentle nudge in the right direction.)

Also obesity adds costs to both public health and private-sector health. Insurance is more expensive because of intentionally-unhealthy people.
I think they should levy a tax on anything with high fructose corn syrup. Sodas are not even worthy of the "tip of the iceberg". Start reading labels. This corn monstrosity is everywhere. If every single soda drinker quit, it would hardly change the obesity problem.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,331 times
Our sakes tax is already one of the highest. To me, that's enough. I don't hold with punishments for what I may choose to eat, drink or smoking tobacco (though I don't smoke). It's too 1984ish. But if there had to be a sin tax on pop, etc, (hey! I know! We could do it by calorie count on EVERYTHING!) then two cents per ounce is grossly excessive.

I know dope taxes are paid to the State. But Seattle's part of WA, it's a whale of a lot of money and I'd like to see some of it sent here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area