Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 12:24 PM

129 posts, read 224,547 times

Advertisements

How does everyone feel about buying a townhome in Bellevue vs a House in Issaquah or Kirkland?

I'm interested in views from both a convenience standpoint as well as property appreciation.

I will be working in downtown Seattle, and employer has shuttle buses from all 3 of these areas so difference in commute times won't matter to me as I will just nap/work/read on the bus.

My thought is that Bellevue will continue to attract many rich Asians as it does have that more urban, multicultural, newer feel (all things I enjoy) so there is definitely potential for further price appreciation.

On the other hand, Kirkland and Issaquah both have excellent schools, have more of that sleepy suburb feel where you could get to know your neighbour, and single family homes very often experience MORE price appreciation than apartments and townhomes.

I plan to start a family in a year or two and my budget is $700-800K. Could afford more, but would prefer not to be super house poor.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 01:00 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
I think Kirkland seems like the best combination of your needs and what you say you like.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I don't think price appreciation is going to be significantly different between the three, and that's not something that can always be predicted accurately.
So if you remove that from being the most important, where do you think you'd be happiest? As far as single family homes, both Kirkland and Issaquah have seen lots of newer construction in the last few years. Issaquah has plans for much more growth on the west side of downtown Issaquah. Right now it's the quietest of the three, although rush hour on Front Street is an absolute nightmare. Bellevue is quite large physically, so if you wanted a single family home within the city, it's still possible to buy one for 700-800k, just not so close to downtown Bellevue, and often older, but well maintained/remodeled homes.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:09 PM

83 posts, read 94,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I don't think price appreciation is going to be significantly different between the three, and that's not something that can always be predicted accurately.
So if you remove that from being the most important, where do you think you'd be happiest? As far as single family homes, both Kirkland and Issaquah have seen lots of newer construction in the last few years. Issaquah has plans for much more growth on the west side of downtown Issaquah. Right now it's the quietest of the three, although rush hour on Front Street is an absolute nightmare. Bellevue is quite large physically, so if you wanted a single family home within the city, it's still possible to buy one for 700-800k, just not so close to downtown Bellevue, and often older, but well maintained/remodeled homes.
Maybe I am not looking in the right place, but most SFRs in Bellevue seem to be in the million++ range. I am looking near the freeway though. Any tips on others to check out?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM

305 posts, read 655,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayouInSeattle View Post
Maybe I am not looking in the right place, but most SFRs in Bellevue seem to be in the million++ range. I am looking near the freeway though. Any tips on others to check out?
East Bellevue is cheaper.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 PM

Yes Mayou, try the Lake Hills area near Crossroads Mall. You'll find some great mid century homes on good sized lots.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:05 AM

19 posts, read 21,305 times
Walch and Mayou, you won't see very many houses listed because they are getting offers right away and no longer show up when you look. However, there have been over 200 homes sold in Bellevue in that price range over the last 6 months. You must be prepared, patient, and not get discouraged if you don't get the first home you make an offer on.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:52 PM

129 posts, read 224,547 times
Could someone help me understand why Kirkland so much cheaper, on average, than Newcastle or even Issaquah? Newcastle is quicker into downtown I guess.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:57 PM

Walch, I think it depends on where you are talking. North Kirkland or Juanita might be a little less expensive than Newcastle, Central Kirkland/Houghton certainly aren't. Are you comparing apples to apples with square footage? There are some large homes in Newcastle and Issaquah.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:36 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
Kirkland is expensive if you look at areas like Houghton, etc. If you go over to Rose Hills, Juanita, etc. then it gets a little more affordable the houses are older, no lake views, etc.

Personally I would recommend a home in Kirkland over a townhome in Bellevue but that's just me. I like having a yard, space between neighbors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area