Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 24,402 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are relocating to Washington from California as he starts working at UW. We are currently considering living in Lynwood so that he could drive to one of the Park & Ride (Mariner, Ash Way, or Lynnwood) to catch a bus to UW in the morning.

Could someone tell me what are the good/bad areas in Lynwood (e.g., along the 99)? I was also wondering about the good/bad areas in Picnic-Point/North Lynwood. We are in early 40's with no kids.

I really appreciate any input you can provide.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 02:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Prior to moving, drive the area. Walk the streets. Go on your instincts. We evolved as plains apes, recognizing that which feels "wrong" or alien in our environment. Modern law enforcement & security training emphasizes that if a situation feels off, it is, and go to condition yellow. Don't over-think it, listen to your feelings.

Pretty obvious signs of social decline include crummy cars parked on lawns or abandoned in rental unit parking lots, bums-winos-hookers on the streets, congregations of "youth" intensely eyeballing passing cars, ghouls bouncing along "working the streets" singly (usually) and harassing humans trying to go elsewhere, large number of nail salon/check cashing/other ghetto stores.

I lived in California (Bay Area) seven years in the 1990s, it was clear where scummy apartment complexes and streets were, after a few hours cruising when I first explored places to live. I went with a rental that had little or none of that nearby, and never had any serious problems later.

My "opinion" of Lynnwood is not much of that ghetto-feel remains on Hwy 99, a big improvement from c. 10-15 years ago. It's just a working class kind of place, AFAIK. Drive Hwy 99 a few times, you'll get the point. If you're unwilling to walk from, say, Keeler's Corner to the 196th intersection, don't live there.

There must be some reason, like proximity to transit centers (an excellent idea), you're selecting specific parts of Lynnwood. I do not know if Lynnwood has a tough rental market like other parts of the greater Seattle area, so I'd "suggest" a recon mission to check out specific places over a several day period, then make a strike when something seems nice.

I assume you're talking rentals. For real estate purchases, a good agent is obviously the way to go. Someone who knows the area.

There are local crime blotters (web sites) presumably they aggregate data over time, too. Hot spots (neighborhoods, or specific streets) of property crime, assault, and worse are probably places to avoid.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:01 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
As a general rule in Lynnwood, the farther you can get from Hwy 99, the better. Going west toward Puget Sound is better than going east, which often puts you closer to commercial areas.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:06 PM

Thanks so much for the information, blondebaerde and homesinseattle. Very helpful! We are actually considering purchasing a small condo as the rental market is very tough in Seattle and its surrounding areas! I will check the west side of the city. We would also explore other cities where my husband could commute by an express bus to UW. Thanks again!

Last edited by MOMIWAKAME; 03-20-2016 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: was not clear

Old 03-20-2016, 04:13 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
You're welcome!

Old 03-20-2016, 04:51 PM

439 posts, read 516,890 times
HI, you should really drive around Lynnwood, to see the area that you like the best. (to state the obvious, sorry!)

Old 03-21-2016, 09:55 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
I lived in Lynnwood from 2010 until 2014, we lived east of I-5 in the Alderwood area. I think that area is just fine, it is better than what you find closer to HWY99. It was very safe, quiet, and very close to all kinds of shopping- in our case walking distance.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I lived in Lynnwood from 2010 until 2014, we lived east of I-5 in the Alderwood area. I think that area is just fine, it is better than what you find closer to HWY99. It was very safe, quiet, and very close to all kinds of shopping- in our case walking distance.
Thanks, Jim! This is very informative, and I would definitely look for the Alderwood area!

Old 03-22-2016, 02:51 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Many moving here mistakenly assume that living in the outer burbs is best, because that's how it is where they're coming from. Look at the Northgate area, which provides reasonable rents and quick commutes to both UW and Downtown. Also, south Shoreline, north Greenwood/Bitterlake, and Lake City.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 PM

12,835 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Prior to moving, drive the area. Walk the streets. Go on your instincts. We evolved as plains apes, recognizing that which feels "wrong" or alien in our environment. Modern law enforcement & security training emphasizes that if a situation feels off, it is, and go to condition yellow. Don't over-think it, listen to your feelings.

Pretty obvious signs of social decline include crummy cars parked on lawns or abandoned in rental unit parking lots, bums-winos-hookers on the streets, congregations of "youth" intensely eyeballing passing cars, ghouls bouncing along "working the streets" singly (usually) and harassing humans trying to go elsewhere, large number of nail salon/check cashing/other ghetto stores.

I lived in California (Bay Area) seven years in the 1990s, it was clear where scummy apartment complexes and streets were, after a few hours cruising when I first explored places to live. I went with a rental that had little or none of that nearby, and never had any serious problems later.

My "opinion" of Lynnwood is not much of that ghetto-feel remains on Hwy 99, a big improvement from c. 10-15 years ago. It's just a working class kind of place, AFAIK. Drive Hwy 99 a few times, you'll get the point. If you're unwilling to walk from, say, Keeler's Corner to the 196th intersection, don't live there.

There must be some reason, like proximity to transit centers (an excellent idea), you're selecting specific parts of Lynnwood. I do not know if Lynnwood has a tough rental market like other parts of the greater Seattle area, so I'd "suggest" a recon mission to check out specific places over a several day period, then make a strike when something seems nice.

I assume you're talking rentals. For real estate purchases, a good agent is obviously the way to go. Someone who knows the area.

There are local crime blotters (web sites) presumably they aggregate data over time, too. Hot spots (neighborhoods, or specific streets) of property crime, assault, and worse are probably places to avoid.
Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area