Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times

Advertisements

Yes. I am. I have even gotten the little brochure in the mail. You, yourself, might've gotten the same HERO brochure, shook your fist and said "I didn't DO IT!". Well, I have. I've been stuck...looking longingly at that big, fat, empty lane.....looking down the hill...seeing 4 miles of solid wall to wall traffic. 2 lanes of dump trucks and semis coming in from the side. Everyone on their cell phone - probably complaining about how traffic sucks. "NO! NO! Soccer mom! Don't!...ARGH>>>>WATCH IT!!! K-POW!"

You see her swerve, latte in slow motion, and then...there goes lane # 1...

A vein pops out on your neck. Sweat beads on your eyelashes. Your eyes flick back over to that sweet, sweet spacey lane. "Just this once," you think.
"No one's even USING IT for Chris’ sakes!!" You edge closer...just to take a look. The big Ford truck in front of you slams on his brakes. You've been caught in this crap for 38 minutes! YEUUUURGHHHH!!!!>>>>>>>

And then, it happens...

You shift over...woah..over the line now...feels good. Feels REAL GOOD.
Picking up speed...ooh yeah...45..55...65... Screw it...70 baby!

Cars flash by....The intensity builds....Wait...there's an opening....you blow right by it..."I'll take the next one," you think. Zooooooom.......

Hey...There's my exit! "AH, Let me IN!! YEUUURGHHH!!!>>> Let me IN!!!! WHY WOn't anyone LET ME IN!!!" and then you're in.
The adrenaline ceases to pump, the heartbeat slows, and the pace of the world starts to normal.

Now, you're at the red light..just blocks from home. It's over. You've broken the law. "Well, that was cool. Just this once, I mean. I won't do THAT again," you think.

Then tomorrow comes.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 01:35 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,425 times
Just think if everyone thought like you, then the HOV would be full. I love people who break the law and justify it with excuses. I know, I am sitting at the light when you do it. I know how awful the traffic is but I will wait my turn and I hope you do not have high blood pressure as it sounds like you may have a stroke soon------then crash, you have blocked the HOV lane.LOL. Seriously, you need to take a chill pill.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:45 AM

121 posts, read 536,189 times
I loved your description of the temptation...I think we can all relate to the temptation

As someone who puts his life at risk a little risk every day just so I can use the HOV lane legally (motorcycle)...I absolutly get pissed at violators...and call them in every chance I get. I love the fact that the WSP has been heavily patrolling the HOV onramps recently.

Then again, at least on Northbound I-5 on the way home, the HOV lane is actually slower than the other lanes in several places...I'm assuming it has something to do with the busses that can't go over 45...but that's just a guess.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,066,251 times
Of course people call in the violators... it's the passive-aggressive nature of the region. Violate carefully!

Last edited by jwb123; 03-09-2008 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Do what carefully...call in the violators, or use the HOV lanes illegally?

Old 03-09-2008, 02:34 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,459 times
Actually quite a few people violate the carpool lane. I've been stuck in traffic on 405 in the afternoon on many occasions. I look in my mirror at the cars passing me in the carpool lane. Alot of them are single drivers. I can't imagine all those people have a baby in their car.

I am tempted to cheat but I don't want to get caught. During normal traffic flow I often use the carpool lane to pass someone if I can't pass them on the right.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,855,614 times
I would never violate the carpool lane, as in CA it's a really expensive ticket. Isn't it expensive in WA, too?

Luckily now I have my son, so I'm never alone in the car. I'm still waiting to get pulled over by someone who doesn't see him in the back of the minivan.

V. =)

Old 03-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
WSDOT - Washington State Freeway HOV System Common Questions

Vehicles in the HOV lanes during operating hours without the required number of people or weighing more than 10,000 lbs. are subject to a $124 fine from the Washington State Patrol. Citizens may also report HOV lane violators through the HERO program at 206-764-HERO or online. These restrictions maintain the reliability and safety of the lanes.

Dunno if there are any points.

I suppose if you make $41.33 an hour, and you can save 3 hours worth of time, it would be worth it....or something like that.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:35 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
I don't believe we Washington state has a point system...

Old 03-09-2008, 06:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
WSDOT - Washington State Freeway HOV System Common Questions

Vehicles in the HOV lanes during operating hours without the required number of people or weighing more than 10,000 lbs. are subject to a $124 fine from the Washington State Patrol. Citizens may also report HOV lane violators through the HERO program at 206-764-HERO or online. These restrictions maintain the reliability and safety of the lanes.

Dunno if there are any points.

I suppose if you make $41.33 an hour, and you can save 3 hours worth of time, it would be worth it....or something like that.
That's pretty cheap. CA it's at least twice that. I think it recently went up to almost $500 there, but I could be wrong. I'd still never violate it. I hate when people do.

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area