Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:30 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,956,086 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 more months here till I leave for NM. Today getting a free meal at the Millionaire Club where I work for them at sporting events sometimes someone I don't know threatens to gut me telling me to get out and he will kill or kick my ass next time I come in. Can't remember kill or kick ass as my brain is spinning. Also says I don't belong there. I was not dressed like a homeless person I will add that.

I was the only Asian in the place so it has to be a racist threat. I call for police and the security at MC stops the guy from going at me. He leaves before police shows up.

After the incident I went to apply for a gun permit. I have been mugged at gunpoint twice in this city. Getting a threat to be gutted seems kind of serious to me. You can say my straw is finally broken.

I was once anti gun, no more. . 30 days till my concealed permit is with me and its gun shopping.

Last edited by 87112; 06-09-2017 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:31 AM

If anyone thinks this is a BS story call them and ask for Mario he is security there and will vouch this happened on 6/8/17.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:53 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,836,102 times
Welcome My Friend To Freedom.. Doesn't it feel good to know that you have the G-d given right to defend yourself? I was almost beaten to death a long time ago and I do feel your pain.. I've suffered through my share of PTSD and feelings of anger, resentment, fear and vulnerability. Many people are anti-gun until they suddenly realize that the government could care less about their life and how underpaid and overworked government workers, such as police are usually no where around when your life is in danger. You know the old saying "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." Another very good say in the RKBA (Right To Keep and Bear Arms) community is "Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."

Any advice you want on firearms or any questions about obtaining a firearm permit, please feel free to PM Me. As well, there is a lot of decent shooting ranges in the area that I can advise you.

Washington state has decent firearm laws for now, but the liberal fascists in the city and state government are trying to destroy these freedoms. Sadly, for a long time, Washington was a very pro-freedom state, but the people from other parts of the country have come and settled here and now are trying to reshape Seattle to be the liberal fascist false utopia they dream about.

Just so you know New Mexico has a bit stricter gun laws compared to Washington state, so please keep that in mind. Washington state is practically Constitutional Carry (meaning no permits). Many states are much stricter and require 8 hour courses, references and bunch of other hoops to jump through before you are granted what was suppose to be a "RIGHT" guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution. Sadly, most states use this Constitution as toilet paper than as Fundamental Laws and Bill of Rights that are the foundations and backbone of our country.

I would also encourage you to join some firearm forums. One of the most popular here in the Pacific Northwest is Northwest Firearms. There is also Seattle Guns forum for people in the Puget Sound area.

Please be sure to also learn about the self-defense laws, both in Washington and the Federal laws. Educating yourself about your rights and when you have the right to use lethal force is very important as it will help protect in the unfortunate situation you must use a firearm (or any weapon for that matter) in self-defense. Every state has different laws and what is allowed in one state may not be allowed in another.

www.northwestfirearms.com
www.seattleguns.net

Another gun forum that has a good deal of very accurate legal information and has some very educated and respecetd pro-RKBA lawyers as staff on the forum is The High Road.
www.thehighroad.org

Old 06-09-2017, 01:01 AM

Thanks for the links. I am already looking at gun shops, classes nearby. When I started the morning I had zero just plain zero idea I would be a gun owner in a month. It just takes one threat from a creep to throw you over and get a gun.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Thanks for the links. I am already looking at gun shops, classes nearby. When I started the morning I had zero just plain zero idea I would be a gun owner in a month. It just takes one threat from a creep to throw you over and get a gun.
I understand exactly how you feel. Even though I did own a few guns throughout my younger life I never became zealous about guns, the 2nd Amendment and RKBA activist until I hit my late 20s. Then after the attempts of our government to strip us of our freedoms inspired me to stock up and buy guns. My ancestors in Eastern Europe were mass-murdered by both local government and by invading armies. My grandmothers village was wiped out in WWII by the invading Nazi forces. Everyone in my grandmother's village had to dig their own graves before being mass murdered, women and children included. None of my relatives were allowed to own firearms because they were Jewish and Jews were forbidden from owning firearms during the reign of the Tzar. When the communists took over, gun ownership became even more challenging for all the citizens of the Soviet Union, as the country became a large government powered bureaucracy.

It is because of these events in my own family history that I have a deep respect and admiration for the freedoms and liberties we have in this country, which so many people are trying to destroy.

You will find a great community on many of the firearm forums and people who will be happy to help you both advice on firearms, shooting, safety questions and various laws. It also is not a bad idea to read the firearm laws of the state you reside.

Another thing I want to mention to you is that your Washington state firearms permit may not be valid in New Mexico. SO, if you are moving to New Mexico you will want to contact the Sheriff department and ask them what states New Mexico has reciprocity with. When you become a resident of a state you generally are required to obtain a concealed handgun permit in that state. Most likely you will have to obtain a firearm permit in New Mexico before you can carry there, unless you have a permit from another state that has a wide reciprocity.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:15 AM

As far as local gun store suggestions:
I would consider taking a trip down to Tacoma if you want to find some gun stores with better selections.. For very obvious reasons (Gun & Ammo Tax) almost all the gun stores in Seattle have fled to surrounding areas. West Coast Armory in Bellevue is not far away and has a great reputation.

Some gun stores worth checking out are:
Sportsman Warehouse in Federal Way
Surplus Guns & Ammo in Downtown Tacoma
Bass Pro Shops in Tacoma
Arms & More in Tacoma (Never been here, but has good reviews)
Cabelas in Lacey (The largest handgun selection in Washington state, most likely)
Cabelas in Marysville (Not as big as Lacey, but a bit closer to Seattle)
Precise Shooter in Lynnwood
West Coast Armory in Bellevue

If you decide to go to Wades in Bellevue, you will find a good selection, but the prices are like 20-30% higher than other gun stores. You can also find lots of good deals online. If it is your first gun purchase I would probably suggest you buy locally so you can feel the gun in your hand. The best deals you can find usually are online.

Also, I would avoid buying any used firearms or buying from a pawn shop. For your first purchase I would suggest buying a new firearm from a reputable vendor or store.

One more thing.. You do not need a concealed handgun license to buy a handgun in Washington state. If you do not have a concealed handgun license there is like a 5 day waiting period, but after that you can pick up your pistol.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:10 AM

191 posts, read 161,417 times

Safely owning a firearm is a mindset more than anything. If you haven't been raised around them or trained I would suggest running through the fundamentals now (e.g. treat them as if they're loaded, muzzle always in a safe direction, finger off trigger, never ever use it to intimidate, ...)

You sound flustered still. Be extremely careful when mixing emotions and firearms. Owning has huge psychological benefits. Your home becomes more of a "safe space".

However, you will grow tired of daily CCW. Statistically, unfortunate confrontations are rare. If you were carrying, it wouldn't have helped much. If someone already has the draw on you, you're at their mercy. In your "gutting" issue, well, exhibiting/brandishing a firearm is very illegal unless you're threatened. If that escalated the situation into violence, well, your court battles (in a city as liberal as WA) would be very lengthy. You would have to prove you were threatened to exhibit your firearm and you'd have to prove you feared for your life to lose it. FBI studied this at length; if someone has the draw on you with a knife and intends to use it, they will teach you before you can draw and fire if they're within 21 feet.

I'm happy to give more advice or take you out shooting sometime if you'd like.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:37 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,202,346 times
What do you carry? I'm a j-frame S&W or compact 1911 kind of guy, definitely prefer single stack when carrying an autoloder.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Even if you can't do Concealed Carry as easily everywhere else, other states allow open carry. Check local requirements. Taking basic pistol class is a very good thing to do regardless whether it is required or not.

I got the CCP in WA. I already owned the gun and had brought it into the state, legally. Issued by the PD of an extremely liberal town. They said a surprising number of upstanding citizens had quietly applied for them. With a clean record, it was easy. No, I didn't walk around carrying it; I got it to beat any horrible laws that the kneejerks might try to pass. Sounds like plenty of other law-abiding citizens felt the same way and voted with their wallets (a fee was required for the permit).

It has been too long since I either practiced at the range or took the class, so after things settle down I will bone up. I can't do CC now because I moved out of WA to a nonreciprocal state, but that's OK. The violence here is nothing compared with Seattle...in spite of guns being owned by many, many people here. It is part of the culture, not an aberration practiced only by criminals. An important factor.

However, it would be best to wait a little bit before carrying the gun. Learn what you are legally allowed to do. Self-defense isn't a blank check to shoot anything that might threaten you. The basic firearms class right now would be a good start while you are waiting. They will provide guns to use.

After we got burglarized many years ago, I decided to get a bigger gun in case I really needed to stop someone. I made myself take an NRA pistol class, and then waited a few months more to actually buy it. As the other poster noted, you need to let the adrenaline and anger abate from your recent encounter. In a situation like that, calling for official help WAS the best action.

Last edited by pikabike; 06-09-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-09-2017, 12:51 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,043,097 times
The Millionair Club ministers to the disadvantaged. There are probably some troubled people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area