Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:55 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
No the problem is people acting from fear vs. a well-thought out risk analysis. Someone who is "anti gun" then "pro gun" is in a good ol' fashioned pissed-off mood, ready to unload on the next vagrant who crosses him(her).

Waving guns around without using them is an invitation to be badly beaten at absolute best. Dead as a door-nail at-worst. That's the sort of things untrained, fearful, non-resolute people do.

The well-trained, professional, and resolute carry guns in the absolute last extremity case whereby they need one, to protect themselves and others from felonious assault; and two, the reasonable belief that such is imminent. Reasonable best truly be reasonable, in a court of law and in front of a jury, because odds-are that's where it will be decided.

Nothing says you "can't" get all the guns you want, God Bless America, assuming you're qualified under the law. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, however. The problem is one of ethics, not legalities.
You make good points, I remember when I first got into guns I bucked up for an Insights defensive carry course in Issaquah (I think, mayhave been Bellevue), best $400 I spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 07:34 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
More law-abiding citizens carrying a gun? I see nothing wrong here.
Because nothing can go wrong when a super emotional fearful law-abiding citizen has a gun. He'll be back in the ABQ soon enough anyway.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 PM

191 posts, read 161,310 times
Sensible gun ownership is nice.

Thinking a firearm will protect you and going out to buy a safety-less 33 round Glock G19 expecting the OK Corral is going to break out with little to no training... yeah, you're asking for an accidental discharge. Drawing on someone who's drawn on you? Sheesh. What happens if the guy mugging you at gunpoint sees your firearm when you're going for your wallet? Sheesh.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I have one day off during the week and if the MC club is on the way to where I am going and its timely I go for a free meal. Some of the best spahagetti I have ever been served when its offered.
Its been a long time since I got mugged at gunpoint in Seattle and they happened in Beacon Hill and Riverton Heights.
I still live in Beacon Hill, we have steel bars on all the windows on the lower level.

First time just walking at near dusk on Beacon Ave 1-2 mile south of the VA hospital
2nd time using the Post office after hours at night.

Serves me right for the 2nd one. Riverton Heights is sketchy.
First one just random bad luck, drive by mugging. Car stops one guy gets out and pull a gun on me. Gets away with nothing I had nothing on me but keys. Neither time was out looking for trouble, I am just a working stiff in lovely Seattle ( pun ).
I've never even heard of Riverton Heights, so it must be very sketchy.

And yeah, what Blondbeard said.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:58 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never even heard of Riverton Heights, so it must be very sketchy.

And yeah, what Blondbeard said.
It's in SeaTac, by 518 and on/close to HWY 99.

I'm all for gun rights but a bit dubious when it's done fearfully and reactively. Please be careful, take the classes and practices you can get.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 PM

415 posts, read 490,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
You make good points, I remember when I first got into guns I bucked up for an Insights defensive carry course in Issaquah (I think, mayhave been Bellevue), best $400 I spent.
I'm the last thing you could call a gun enthusiast.

Many of my acquaintances call me crazy for not having firearms for self-defense.

After all I live in south Seattle adjoining the "Jungle."
Interesting characters spooking around my neighborhood.
Let's call 'em zombie junkies on patrol.

Anyway in the 3 years I've lived here, my home's been broken into 4 times and I've experienced and obviously survived one "home invasion."

The home invasion was thankfully pretty harmless and ended without major incident.
It was late one morning and I was fixing to get in the shower.
Stark naked I was on my way into the bathroom when I see some dude rooting around my living room.
I tried to stand up as straight as I could and look imposing and speak with authority and yelled that he had no business there in my house. Being completely naked I was hardly threatening. But I'm convinced it worked in my favor. The intruder was probably stunned and embarrassed enough to give it up and check out.

Even if I had a firearm, I probably wouldn't have had it on me while I went into the shower. I actually did have a baseball bat and a machete nearby, but in that moment the fact didn't occur to me. I'm more concerned about losing or having a firearm in my responsibility stolen or being involved in an accident and judge these risks higher than any possible security benefit it might give me. Theoretically it would be possible to be better armed and better trained than any threat, but as a previous poster reminds us, if somebody is planning something unfortunate, he'll probably be ready to pull the trigger long before I could draw.

I don't have a problem with firearms in theory, in fact I don't really care which kind or how many one has, as long as he knows how to use and store them responsibly. Some of my acquaintances are real firearm aficionados. Hard for me to judge their expertise using them, but something about them seems more "Yahoo-like" than "experienced."

Admittedly among ordinary civilians, genuine experience with the use of firearms in self & home defense or urban combat is thankfully hard to come by. I do wish more firearm owners would take advantage of the kind of class you suggest as well as regular training to keep skills sharp and fresh.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:38 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
^^^^ I use to live in that area within walking distance of the Jungle. I lived a few blocks from the gone bowling Alley- Imperial Lanes.

I remember when my parents got home late at night from work. They looked around before they got out of the car to get in the house. We saw people smoking weed in our parking lot and had one home invasion.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:55 PM

191 posts, read 161,310 times
Has the jungle been cleared out since Seattle voted to clear it out ?

You're right on - I'm not too familiar with that area, but considering Seattle is low on the list of violent crimes, I would more than likely not keep firearms there. I would feel way too guilty if it was stolen. These days, if it were ever used in a crime later, it'd come back to you, too.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:36 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Google Washington State office of Attorney General for Concealed Weapon permit reciprocity, I'm too lazy to link it.

I received my Washington State Concealed Pistol License about 3 weeks after applying for it.

Except, and no offense intended, how can you afford a legit gun, & the $50 application fee for the Concealed Weapon Permit if you have to eat at a charity? Maybe it's a generalization, but I don't think most people would go there to eat unless they absolutely had to, I could be wrong about that.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 06-10-2017 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 06:39 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
My family and I live in a very safe, eastside city in Washington with a very low crime rate. However, we go to the gun range at least 2-4 times a month and we've taken self defense training and know how to use, clean and store our weapons properly. I am a 124 -pound, 5'6' tall female and have a black belt in martial arts, and can score 8 hits out of 10 on the shooting range. Yet, I never carry my weapon in public.

A gun can give some people a false sense of confidence and power and they can unconsciously develop a trigger-happy/trigger-ready mentality. Guns should be the very last resort for self protection unless the situation truly warrants its.

When we go out at night, I know my husband is carrying, but he is a very responsible gun owner and is not out to prove anything, looking for trouble or thinking of hurting/maiming or killing anyone.

Last edited by Praline; 06-10-2017 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area