Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,236 times

Advertisements

My future husband and I have to move to Seattle this June, due to the relocation of his research lab to the Seattle Children's Research Institute. We've been looking at apartments in that area, but would prefer to be outside of the main downtown hub for more affordable rent (5-10 miles from the Institute). Our monthly budget for rent will be between $700-$900, and we've already found many places in this price range we would like to check out. Can anyone recommend some nice neighborhoods/apartments for us? I found some places in the Wedgewood and Maple Leaf neighborhoods...how are those?

We're a quiet, soon-to-be-newlywed couple in our mid-twenties that have lived in suburban Cleveland, Ohio for our entire lives. We don't go out much, but enjoy the art scene and love being in nature. We're concerned about safety, noise, and being taken advantage of for being "newbies". We also want to start a family while we're in Seattle, so a young couple/family-friendly neighborhood would be more of what we're looking for.

We'll be visiting Seattle for a week in May to look at apartments and hopefully sign a lease, so we can move right in by June 9-12th.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:42 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Wedgewood and Maple Leaf are fine, but when trying to rent or sell a property, it's typical of realtors( believe me, I know!) and others to call something a neighborhood it's near, not the neighborhood it's in. For example, both Wedgewood and Maple Leaf are near Lake City, which is okay but not nearly as desirable.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:01 AM

479 posts, read 2,224,154 times
Wedgewood and Maple Leaf are both great neighborhoods. Wedgewood Elementary is one of the best schools in Seattle. Lake Forest Park and Shoreline would be okay too, might be more affordable, but not sure.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
Hi. Is this the institute over on 9th Ave? Capitol Hill is close by and is a very good neighborhood, but I'm not sure of the rents over there. I live in the Roosevelt neighborhood, just north of the U District, and it's very nice here. Friends here rented a studio apartment recently for $840 a month, so rents are a little high, but the area is great. Maple Leaf and Wedgewood are just a little north of us. Roosevelt features Ravenna blvd and Cowen park, which has nice hiking and jogging paths. We're also close to Green Lake, which is very nice, but expensive. The U District is full of young people and some cheap apartments, but too close to the UW is really dumpy and full of drugs. Stay away from there.

Fremont is also very nice, especially if you like art. It's a big artist community. Lots of apartments there, but you may only get a studio in your price range. Still might be worth checking out.

There are a lot of apartment buildings here that are planning to convert to condo's so check to make sure wherever you move will still be there for a while. good luck!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirl81 View Post
My future husband and I have to move to Seattle this June, due to the relocation of his research lab to the Seattle Children's Research Institute. We've been looking at apartments in that area, but would prefer to be outside of the main downtown hub for more affordable rent (5-10 miles from the Institute). Our monthly budget for rent will be between $700-$900, and we've already found many places in this price range we would like to check out. Can anyone recommend some nice neighborhoods/apartments for us? I found some places in the Wedgewood and Maple Leaf neighborhoods...how are those?

We're a quiet, soon-to-be-newlywed couple in our mid-twenties that have lived in suburban Cleveland, Ohio for our entire lives. We don't go out much, but enjoy the art scene and love being in nature. We're concerned about safety, noise, and being taken advantage of for being "newbies". We also want to start a family while we're in Seattle, so a young couple/family-friendly neighborhood would be more of what we're looking for.

We'll be visiting Seattle for a week in May to look at apartments and hopefully sign a lease, so we can move right in by June 9-12th.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
But the very latest trend is for re-apartmenting, buildings converted to condos which aren't selling, converted back to apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area