Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times

Advertisements

Good evening ladies & gents

I am in the planning stage for my wife and I's wedding anniversary "getaway" this year. This will take place Mid-Late October. We have always wanted to visit the Washington Coast & Olympic National Park, and this is a perfect chance for us to!

I have been looking at amazing vacation rentals, and like what I see in Port Townsend. Awesome water views and relatively close to ONP. However, there are a TON of great rentals across the water in places like Coupeville, Freeland and Greenbank. I don't mind the idea of being on an "island" but want to make sure it's not more trouble than it's worth, as in getting across the water and such. I like how Port Townsend would allow to be on the "right side" of the water, in terms of getting to ONP and places on that side. But again, if the islands offer more, then I'm open for suggestions. We want to be able to go out to eat whenever as well. Are there ferrys from Port Townsend to the other side? What's the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
There's the ferry that takes you to Coupeville on Whidbey Island, then drive south to Clinton and take the ferry to Mukilteo. You can also drive south from Port Townsend to Bainbridge and take the ferry direct to Seattle. There's also ferries to the San Juan Islands and to Canada. Here is a route map:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/wsfroutemap.pdf

Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There's the ferry that takes you to Coupeville on Whidbey Island, then drive south to Clinton and take the ferry to Mukilteo. You can also drive south from Port Townsend to Bainbridge and take the ferry direct to Seattle. There's also ferries to the San Juan Islands and to Canada. Here is a route map:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/wsfroutemap.pdf
Thank you for this!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Thank you for this!
No problem! Just no falling in the love with the place and moving; we love tourists! By mid-late October, Fall will be setting in and it will chilly with some rainy days. There are exceptions but usually daily rain doesn't hit until November.

Also, you might want to take a day and drive to Cape Flattery. Beautiful area, short hike and you can say you were at the most northwest corner. It looks on to Tatoosh Island.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Port Townsend offers so much. Nature, culture, great food. Hard to beat.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No problem! Just no falling in the love with the place and moving; we love tourists! By mid-late October, Fall will be setting in and it will chilly with some rainy days. There are exceptions but usually daily rain doesn't hit until November.

Also, you might want to take a day and drive to Cape Flattery. Beautiful area, short hike and you can say you were at the most northwest corner. It looks on to Tatoosh Island.
Thanks again! Something about rain on the rugged coast is actually an attention grabber and would be awesome!

Old 06-22-2017, 09:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Being too dependent upon a ferry can waste a lot of time during peak tourist and vacation season, with a 2-3 hour wait at time, but in October we will have rain and kids are back in school so you shouldn't have any problems getting onto them. Be sure to take some time to visit the Deception Pass Bridge, the Hoh Rainforest and Hurricane Ridge. If you want to have a bit of an adventure while in Port Townsend, stay a night or two at the Palace Hotel and report back any interesting experiences. We were unaware of the reputation for being haunted until we had some unexplained night time events and then read the guestbook in the lobby when leaving.

The Palace Hotel | Haunted Places | Port Townsend, WA 98368

Palace Hotel – A Step Back In Time

Old 06-22-2017, 10:34 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Port Townsend ferry runs a short trip to and from Coupeville on Whidbey Island. That is the nearest ferry.

If Olympic NP is your top interest, PT is definitely easier as a base location than the islands are. At that time of year, you should be able to take advantage of seasonal lower rates for lodging, but it depends on your exact time of visit. October is a transitional month, as it is in many parts of the US.

Also, if you have any interest in visiting Victoria BC, that is fairly easy. Drive to PA and take the private Black Ball ferry, the Coho. Viewing the Olympic Mtns from the middle of the Strait of Juan de Fuca (or from Canada) is as impressive as seeing them from WA.

PT has plenty of restaurants, but always call to make sure that one is open on the day and time you want. As the tourism high season wanes, places cut back on operating hours. And make sure you try some hot-out-of-the-oven baked goods from Pane d'Amore bakery. Breads are baked in PT at a central facility, and smaller items are baked right in the tiny shop on Tyler St. near Lawrence.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:23 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I am in the planning stage for my wife and I's wedding anniversary "getaway" this year. This will take place Mid-Late October. We have always wanted to visit the Washington Coast & Olympic National Park, and this is a perfect chance for us to!
By mid- to late October weather is going to be a major factor, especially on the Pacific side of the peninsula. On the beaches, you're likely as not to have stormy conditions, which can be spectacular but not especially comfortable if you want to hike. And while the Hoh and Quinault rain forests are fantastic and worth the trip on their own, well, they don't call them "rain forests" for nothing.

Port Townsend is a good three hours' drive from the La Push beaches and the Hoh rain forest, and close to two from Hurricane Ridge, so while basing yourselves in Port Townsend is fine, it's NOT a good base for exploring Olympic National Park. Port Townsend, like Sequim ("skwim") and the north end of Whidbey Island, is in the Olympic Mountains' "rain shadow," meaning it gets significantly less rainfall than areas farther west or south. So conditions around Port Townsend are likely to be nicer than in, say, Forks (a low bar to clear) but the trade-off is the distance from things.

You didn't say how long this would be for, but you might think about basing in Port Angeles instead. You can do day trips to the beaches and Hoh Valley much easier from PA than from Port Townsend, or you could do a day trip to Victoria BC on the Coho ferry from PA (go as foot passengers and save big bucks.) So you might think about two bases - one in PA and another on Whidbey Island if you want island vibe - look at Langley or Coupeville. Or stay for part of the time in Port Townsend and do a day trip over to Whidbey - visit Deception Pass, Coupeville or Langley, etc., or hit Whidbey on your way coming or going.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:05 AM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
I highly recommend the Lake Crescent Lodge. It's not very expensive, as hotel lodgings go. It's an old-fashioned log lodge, with a big fireplace and lot of history. When I was there decades ago, the food was great. Check some ratings places now. I love that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area