Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 9,290 times

Advertisements

Hello!
As you may or may not know, I posted awhile ago about moving to Forks. I have a trip planned, tickets and hotel reserved, and I am very excited to see the area. My very good friend will be meeting me there (she's in Cali) and asked me to post a thread for her. All of my research has been directed towards the Olympic Peninsula, so I had no clue how to answer her questions.

She is a single younger mother to two boys, has three dogs; two are Pit Bulls (if there are any bans), she is an elementary school teacher, and she does not drive (medically unable).

She is interested in the Seattle area, largely due to the public transportation and ease of getting around car free. She is looking for an affordable and safe area, good schools, and ease of getting around. If she moves, she would rent a house, as most, if not all, apartments have a 2 pet max. If any other information is needed, please ask.

We plan to rent a car and spend a few days in Forks and a few in/around Seattle area. Where would some towns be that she should visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 4,247 times
There are no affordable areas that enable a car free life with good schools. Certainly no affordable houses for rent.

She'll need to find a way to be driven and put up with mediocre schools to get an affordable house, and even then she may have trouble finding a landlord who would accept 3 dogs.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:09 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
The three dogs will be a big problem. While Seattle does not ban pit bulls, finding a landlord to rent to her will be very difficult.

These cities/towns ban or restrict pit bulls:

Washington - Breed-Specific Laws - DogsBite.org

She might look at Tacoma, Olympia, Bellingham, Bremerton, and Spokane, all of which have fairly good transit for getting around.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 07-01-2017 at 08:10 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
You didn't say what affordable is. Here in Seattle and the Eastside most cities are affordable if you make $150k or more, but under $50k requires roommates. If you have been looking in Forks, figure rent and home prices close to Seattle, within an hour will cost at least 4 imes as much as Forks.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:22 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Also, regarding Forks, remember you are visiting it at its nicest. Come back in January and see if you like it as much.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:37 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Holy cow! That is a super challenging combination! Just being single on a teacher's salary is tough here. But to add 2 kids.. 3 dogs (2 of which are banned in several communities.. like mine).. and can't drive a car at all...

I am going to go with the extreme and say without other sources of income it's impossible for her to move to Seattle.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:39 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,846 times
Seattle is really the only city in WA (With the possible exception of parts of Tacoma) where it's practical to live a car-free lifestyle. But, "Affordable", and "Seattle area" go together like water and oil. Affordable will usually mean at least 60, but more like 90+ minutes away from Seattle, and it will be somewhere impractical to live car-free.

Many landlords here ban pitbulls from rental properties, and almost none will allow 3 dogs (Landlords that allow pets typically limit a tenant to 2). Regardless of housing budget, it will be next to impossible to find a landlord willing to rent to her on the pet situation alone.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but because driving isn't an option, I don't see moving here being possible for her without an extra source of income, and re-homing the pitbulls (or at least 1 dog).

Old 07-01-2017, 10:59 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
I concur with what everyone above said: That combination of needs/desires is going to be next to impossible in the Seattle area. She might be able to find a rental house in, like, Marysville or Arlington or Puyallup, or somewhere like that, that might accept the dogs and be somewhat "affordable," but living in those places sans a car would be a challenge. It is doable, since I myself have lived in Sammamish, Issaquah and even Silverdale for periods of time without a car, but you have to be willing to walk some pretty good distances just to get groceries or catch a bus (unless you get lucky enough to find a place near both). But with 2 kids to also tend to, that's going to be extremely difficult.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:33 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Purple Squirrel!

Been awhile since we last seen him.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:08 AM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
Maybe Bremerton or Poulsbo? I think there's going to have to be some compromise involved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area