Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 AM

83 posts, read 94,529 times

Advertisements

I like Queen Anne, Magnolia, Phinney Ridge. They are all pretty nice areas. Maybe Mercer Island if you want to be a little bit more away from the hustle and bustle. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdad1969 View Post
I understand that what I am talking about are less expensive neighborhoods and such
Any "less expensive" area in the Puget Sound area is going to be expensive by just about any other measure. More than you can afford or meet the income requirements for, anyway. If determined to stop in Seattle, you'll need to start calling churches immediately in hope that one of them will offer you temporary housing. Most will simply refer you to a shelter.

You could try to find a roomshare, but that'll probably run you $750+, if you can find one that'll take you. I used to share a two-bedroom apartment, and I can tell you right now that I wouldn't have taken you.

If absolutely determined to make the move, the areas where you will have the best chance of finding suitable housing you can afford will be in areas most others won't want to live.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:59 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Any "less expensive" area in the Puget Sound area is going to be expensive by just about any other measure. More than you can afford or meet the income requirements for, anyway. If determined to stop in Seattle, you'll need to start calling churches immediately in hope that one of them will offer you temporary housing. Most will simply refer you to a shelter.

You could try to find a roomshare, but that'll probably run you $750+, if you can find one that'll take you. I used to share a two-bedroom apartment, and I can tell you right now that I wouldn't have taken you.

If absolutely determined to make the move, the areas where you will have the best chance of finding suitable housing you can afford will be in areas most others won't want to live.
It's true that the OP can't even afford to rent a room in or near Seattle. He still hasn't explained why he chose Seattle, without investigating more affordable cities.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:07 PM

16 posts, read 24,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
OP, I created an account and waited 24 hours to post just to reply to this.

I think you may be thinking along the lines of, "I will get the high cost of living benefits, and because I am an expert at living poor, I will live a low cost of living life. In this way, I can make the system work."

And that's admirable, that you are determined to make a better life and work as hard as you can to do it.

Unfortunately, many people have come to the West Coast (and New York, and other places) to try this and it doesn't work. Milk costs more. Coffee, even cheap coffee costs more. Gas costs more. There are no Wal-Marts downtown, and the bus fare will eat up your savings as you spend hours to get to a discount grocer. Our working families, with two wage earners, are going to food banks at the end of the month in some cases. The reason cars look cheaper is that gas guzzling cars cost more in gas than you can sell them for, especially with parking.

Puyallup is a smaller city with a good hospital and land for sale. Watch out for people selling on floodplains. But it's cheaper, and there are facilities. It's beautiful. Not great for COPD as the valley gathers some smog.

Lakewood is nearer JBLM (Joint Base Lewis McChord) and Madigan which also serves veterans. It's not fancy. There is meth and other bull**** in that town. Typical base town in some respects. However, it's not a pit. There are good people there. It could be a good start. There are social services especially for veterans.

Lacey, near Olympia, may have cheaper land and many places where you could park a trailer. Olympia has facilities as well.

I'm not saying this because you don't belong in Seattle. At one time, Seattle was a working class town and things were easier. But it's a boomtown right now and it is a hell of a rat race. A disabled vet with a dependent trying to make it on $1,100--wait until the bubble bursts, then find yourself a nice little spot in Shoreline. I'm not saying you can't make it but you have to be smarter than a "wing and a prayer" because we have wings and prayers dropping very hard working, hopeful, and poor people all over our streets right now and just a bit more planning would have made their lives way better.

Good luck to you.
Thank you for your thoughtful and kind reply.maybe I posted in the wrong area not understanding your geography,out here Cleveland means darn near all of northeast Ohio.yes I do live and grew up in northeast Ohio but have lived in almost every other state due to my previous profession, now to call what I've been through where we've lived as bs, that's rude and wrong ,you've never walked smile in my shoes or my wife's or my kids who are grown and gone and living I rural parts of different states non of which is near Ohio.i can't remember some of the other points I wanted to address but this is a fact I live in southwest Ashtabula county Ohio in the country town of Rome, no groceries no nothing but a BP gas station.ive had my house for sale for 9 months I've dropped the price from 60k to 30k it's a 4 bedroom 1 bath 2 story with a 1.5 car garage/ shop and a barn /garage big enough to park a 2 ton dump truck. It's an acre of land with areas for chickens, ducks and rabbits, we back against a 360 acre cornfield.my next door neighbor is going through the same thing we are he's had his house up for sale for 3 years started at 150kand is now down to 60k.amish are about 30 percent of our neighbors.my wife read what a lot you said and called "Richey rich bs" on your posts .I more than likely posted in the wrong area and I apologize for getting all the hate the disabled talk going.But we are coming out in an rv by the seat of our pants and that's now my wife's agenda after reading these posts she found a couple nice affordable rv parks in the area of port angeles and I think silver lake. But what you don't know is my wife helps me post food reviews on YouTube and through that is how we got the idea for the Seattle end of the state was from dozens of youtubers that live north of Tacoma, I was originally thinking Montana but they said come to Washington the place is beautiful and the people are great and the good scene and music scene rocks you'll love it.If it turns bad my wife says we will head to eureka ,ca we've been there and if need be there's an rv park there that a semi retired friend of mine lives in that's affordable we will not let Ohio and hate speech take us down.Those of you that helped thank you from the bottom of my heart, those of you who ran your keyboards like mean kid you just graduated to mean adult.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 PM

128 posts, read 147,927 times
Quote:
....snipped....

Port Angeles is way out from Seattle and will cost you $$ for the ferry every time if you want anything remotely close to a reasonable (under 3 hours each way) transit time to downtown Seattle, there are no public transportation from there to Seattle. I'm sure there are hospitals in that area but I have never been so I'm clueless where they are or how big they are. I'm told it is beautiful out there on the peninsula though. Silver Lake near Everett here is also nice and not too far from hospitals and has public transportation to Seattle, if living in a RV long term is your goal, that might work, assuming you can find a place that is for semi-permanent RV living (I've never looked for that so I have no idea). Unless you mean Silver Lake near Mt. St. Helen, that is a whole lot more rural and no public transportation to Seattle.

Good luck to you, you're going to need a LOT of it.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:19 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, how did you buy an RV, with only $500 spending money? What happened to the bus ticket? An RV is probably a practical solution, if it's in good shape.

As for hospitals on the Olympic Peninsula, they have limited capabilities. People there buy special insurance to pay for emergency helicopter flights to Seattle or to Bellingham. You'd be better off parking at Silver Lake, which is in a more urban area, with better hospitals.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:30 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Thank you for your thoughtful and kind reply.maybe I posted in the wrong area not understanding your geography,out here Cleveland means darn near all of northeast Ohio.yes I do live and grew up in northeast Ohio but have lived in almost every other state due to my previous profession, now to call what I've been through where we've lived as bs, that's rude and wrong ,you've never walked smile in my shoes or my wife's or my kids who are grown and gone and living I rural parts of different states non of which is near Ohio.i can't remember some of the other points I wanted to address but this is a fact I live in southwest Ashtabula county Ohio in the country town of Rome, no groceries no nothing but a BP gas station.ive had my house for sale for 9 months I've dropped the price from 60k to 30k it's a 4 bedroom 1 bath 2 story with a 1.5 car garage/ shop and a barn /garage big enough to park a 2 ton dump truck. It's an acre of land with areas for chickens, ducks and rabbits, we back against a 360 acre cornfield.my next door neighbor is going through the same thing we are he's had his house up for sale for 3 years started at 150kand is now down to 60k.amish are about 30 percent of our neighbors.my wife read what a lot you said and called "Richey rich bs" on your posts .I more than likely posted in the wrong area and I apologize for getting all the hate the disabled talk going.But we are coming out in an rv by the seat of our pants and that's now my wife's agenda after reading these posts she found a couple nice affordable rv parks in the area of port angeles and I think silver lake. But what you don't know is my wife helps me post food reviews on YouTube and through that is how we got the idea for the Seattle end of the state was from dozens of youtubers that live north of Tacoma, I was originally thinking Montana but they said come to Washington the place is beautiful and the people are great and the good scene and music scene rocks you'll love it.If it turns bad my wife says we will head to eureka ,ca we've been there and if need be there's an rv park there that a semi retired friend of mine lives in that's affordable we will not let Ohio and hate speech take us down.Those of you that helped thank you from the bottom of my heart, those of you who ran your keyboards like mean kid you just graduated to mean adult.
I think many of those posts are misunderstood. The concern was and is of a disabled person in a wheelchair arriving on a bus with nothing more than $500 and an idea that somehow Seattle will solve their problems. There are less expensive places in Washington. If the goal is something like Port Angeles, that is a less expensive place and maybe that will work out. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:41 PM

262 posts, read 307,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayouInSeattle View Post
I like Queen Anne, Magnolia, Phinney Ridge. They are all pretty nice areas. Maybe Mercer Island if you want to be a little bit more away from the hustle and bustle. Good luck!
You are suggesting very expensive $$$ areas for someone in the OP's position.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:54 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
How did you suddenly get an RV?

If you only have $500 for the move you are pretty much going to suck all that up in gas just trying to get out here.

In any case, good luck....

Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
Make sure the RV doesn't have any leaks, we're about to start our rainy season and the last thing that a person with breathing issues need is a leaky, moldy living environment.

OP, I didn't see any disability hate, I agree with other posters, people are worried for you.

Please take the RV to a mechanic to have a once over, it's a long drive and you have to get over the Rockies and then the Cascades. Best of luck with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area