Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,137 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am planning to move to Seattle area next year.

I want to continue in the tech/programming field and I plan to go to University of Washignton. The masters degree I want tho is out of Bothell WA.

So without knowledge of the area, id like to know some places to lived based on these things:

1) Better places to live if you go to University of WA Bothell for Masters (working person not just out of college).

2) I want to work in the video game industry/software development. I can go for the Indie Side or the AAA side I don't care either way. where do the techies/game developers hang out (community) any locations known for that?

3) I am single but not in the greatest financial situation due to the rough last few years of recession and some others things. Where are some good, economical places to live that aren't crime ridden or have bass music being pounded down all day (and night).

4) Are there some places near Seattle that are good for renting?

5) Weather: I don't care about rain so much I am ok with rain if its warmer most of the year. Is anywhere near Seattle ok for that?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 11:09 AM

102,438 posts, read 108,813,048 times
Will you be working, while you go to school? The way to make rent the most affordable, would be to rent a room in a shared place. Does UW Bothell have grad student dorms?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,938 posts, read 82,045,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy2017 View Post
Hello all,

I want to continue in the tech/programming field and I plan to go to University of Washignton. The masters degree I want tho is out of Bothell WA.

So without knowledge of the area, id like to know some places to lived based on these things:

1) Better places to live if you go to University of WA Bothell for Masters (working person not just out of college).

2) I want to work in the video game industry/software development. I can go for the Indie Side or the AAA side I don't care either way. where do the techies/game developers hang out (community) any locations known for that?

3) I am single but not in the greatest financial situation due to the rough last few years of recession and some others things. Where are some good, economical places to live that aren't crime ridden or have bass music being pounded down all day (and night).

5) Weather: I don't care about rain so much I am ok with rain if its warmer most of the year. Is anywhere near Seattle ok for that?

Thanks
1) With our traffic, I would suggest Lake City, Montlake Terrace or perhaps Lynnwood.

2) The gaming techs that I know all live in Bellevue, with companies there, but also spread out on the eastside and in Seattle. Even in Bothell.

3) Knowing your rental budget would help, but in Bellevue around Crossroads, and rent starts at about $1,300. Below that you have to go much farther out. Lynnwood, for example, that same unit would be only about $1,100.

5) While the last few days have been close to 70, that's unusually warm, but still down to the 40s at night. Anything in the Puget Sound region is not going to be considered warm except for late June-mid September.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:09 PM

8,198 posts, read 8,397,153 times
tech guy, I'd look at Bothell itself. There are some neat things happening there, see this link: New look for Main Street in downtown Bothell | Q13 FOX News

Old 10-05-2017, 01:31 PM

102,438 posts, read 108,813,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy2017 View Post
Hello all,

Thanks
OP, the weather in Seattle is no different than the weather in Bothell. Have you looked at a map? Bothell, is in fact, "near Seattle". Perhaps you could explain your definition of "near" in this context, and why you want to be "near" Seattle, vs. near your school? I would suggest that it would be most practical to live close to your classes (i.e. in Bothell), unless you have a job lined up in Seattle, that you didn't tell us about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area