Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:53 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

So, we were out tooling around Seattle and we happened to be stopped in traffic right by this homeless guy. He was sitting there with a couple of bottles of booze, just sort of drunk and grinning you know. My son pipes up and says "Dad, why is that man sitting on the sidewalk drinking alcohol?"

It's just not a question I think I was ready to answer. But, hey...it's out there now...gotta give it your best shot.

I'm like "He's homeless, son."

And he's like "Why doesn't he have a home?"

You could write a book about that very subject.

I said "'Cuz he's a bum and doesn't want a job!'

Wait....nevermind.... it was "Society failed him, son. We're all at fault."

Or was it "He's probably had a bit of a run of bad luck, son. He'll be back on his feet in no time."
I then rolled down the window and gave him 5 bucks and a "Hang in there, partner. You'll be OK." Because, hey...that could be me out there.

Nah.

I think it was "I don't really know, son. There' s a lot of reasons why he could be sitting there, getting drunk." "Maybe it's the best thing he can think of to do right now."

Then he said "But why is he drinking on the sidewalk?"

You know, I couldn't think of a good answer for that.

Why do homeless people drink right on the sidewalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 04:10 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Homelessness is a complex issue that can't be summed up in a simple kid-friendly maxim. Perhaps he is an alcoholic whose addictions has caused him to hit rock bottom, perhaps he grew up in institutions which have failed him and he uses alcohol to numb the pain, or perhaps he is just a lazy bum.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:21 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,253 times
The part that really bothers me about them is that they stand there drinking and smoking while begging. Take the money you spent on booze and cigs and put it towards starting a new life for yourself. It is a shame that it exisits, nobody should be homeless ( unless they choose it).

Old 03-17-2008, 08:10 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
We tell our kids that the bums are people who made bad choices. Maybe they chose to do drugs, get wasted, get busted, leave their families, not seek mental help, not stay in a situation where they were receiving mental help, not seek drug treatment, leave rehab, got back on drugs even after they had gone through rehab, not seek welfare/assistance, not look for work, not graduate school, not go to college, not join the military, not learn any job skills, whatever their choices may or may not have been... but we tell our kids it was those people's choices that led them to being right where they are, just like it was our choices that have led us right to where we are.

And why do you see more men bums than lady bums?

I've never seen bums quite like the bums in Seattle. Wow!

In Texas we had bums. You'd see them around the public libraries and downtown lined up outside the shelters and on street corners with their signs.

In Oregon it was hard to tell the bums from the hippies or deadheads who never grew up or left town. The bums just sorta blended in and you didn't notice them much.

In California I saw a few bums but the ones we saw were artsy or clever in some way - they stacked rocks or played guitar with their feet or drew pictures or something interesting and people would chuck change at them. It was cool.

You don't see bums on the Eastside, at least I haven't in the Redmond/Bellevue area. But in Seattle every time we've gone we've been blown away.

The smell is the first thing we notice. Seattle in the "bummy" areas wreaks of pee and cigarettes and booze. It always makes my kids hold their noses. And then... you're driving along and you have to stop at a red light and one will lick his finger and draw a happy face on your car. True story. It actually happened to us. My husband wanted to punch the guy.

Or you're walking along with your babies and there they are... all stinky... breathing their nasty alcohol-smelling second-hand smoke all over my babies and me. Coming up to you asking for money. I always say "I've got to send my kids to college first."

When you give them money, you're enabling them. You're already paying for their leisure time and co-dependant lifestyle when you pay your taxes. I don't know the answer for the bum problem, but I do wish there were stricter laws in place that would keep them away from me and my babies when we are simply trying to visit supposedly one of the most wonderful cities in our country. Like at a distance where we wouldn't have to smell them!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:01 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Why do homeless people drink right on the sidewalk?
Because they are homeless.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Because they are homeless.
Thank you for your sanity.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 AM

522 posts, read 2,627,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
You don't see bums on the Eastside, at least I haven't in the Redmond/Bellevue area. But in Seattle every time we've gone we've been blown away.

Go to the Target parking lot in Issaquah, they are lined up at the entrances to the parkin glot. The city made them move away from the interstate exit ramps so now they beg at Target.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:22 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,765 times
Noticed this problem when we visited about two years ago. Wasn't overly pleased..

Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 AM

209 posts, read 820,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
Go to the Target parking lot in Issaquah, they are lined up at the entrances to the parkin glot. The city made them move away from the interstate exit ramps so now they beg at Target.
They beg at Target because they can. How long would they last in front of Nordstrums?

There are many reasons why people can be homeless, just like there is a certain percentage of the population that absolutely refuse to work and become a productive member of society.

Instead of handing out dollar bills, free meals and shelter, the homeless should be required to work for their keep.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Some are there because they made bad decisions about substance abuse. Some are there because PTSD can really mess a person up. Some are there because they have a medical or psychological problem that keeps them from holding a job or doing the things that a normal person does to keep a roof over their heads. And some are there because they are scamming the inherent good nature in people.

And always tell your kids that the reason you don't want them to drink or do drugs or to hang out with a certain crowd is because it would break your heart for them to wind up on the sidewalk drinking out of a paper sack and asking people for hand outs. And if they ever go into combat, for the love of God make sure they get help when they come home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area