Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:10 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,928,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
With Light Rail coming to Northgate and Bellevue, I'd try to nab a 1bd condo in Northgate before the prices (and rents) spike even higher. Winter is better than summer for buying a condo - plan on buying out your lease (two months?) as part of the cost of purchasing (you'll come out ahead in the longer run).
I would prefer a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo in northgate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Bellevue is much more convenient for families who need a shorter commute and easy access to great schools and parks for kids.

If you are single, in my opinion, there is no reason to move from Northgate to Bellevue. I wouldn’t and I live in Bellevue now. But I have small kids. Huge difference in what I need to prioritize.
I am single

Old 10-16-2017, 01:41 PM

638 posts, read 530,153 times
Yeah, get in Northgate with a purchase while you can. Bellevue is beautiful but Northgate is hardly shabby. And then you can enjoy the single lifestyle with what you save.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:25 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
OP, it depends on what your priorities are. Are you missing out on social opportunities and the support of friends, by being so far away from your Eastside friends? Or are you able to see them regularly enough, via transit? Do you get out and enjoy the parts of Seattle you like, from your Northgate location, and how does that rate in comparison with possibly being located in the midst of your friends? Would they even have time for you, much, if you did move over there?

Also consider that instead of N'gate, you might be able to get more condo for your buck moving north a little, but staying within easy transit distance of Seattle. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, it depends on what your priorities are. Are you missing out on social opportunities and the support of friends, by being so far away from your Eastside friends? Or are you able to see them regularly enough, via transit? Do you get out and enjoy the parts of Seattle you like, from your Northgate location, and how does that rate in comparison with possibly being located in the midst of your friends? Would they even have time for you, much, if you did move over there?

Also consider that instead of N'gate, you might be able to get more condo for your buck moving north a little, but staying within easy transit distance of Seattle. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I see my belevue friends enough to satisfy my needs.

Someone suggested Mountlake Terrace for condos.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I see my belevue friends enough to satisfy my needs.

Someone suggested Mountlake Terrace for condos.
Mountlake Terrace, Lake Forest Park, possibly Shoreline, certainly Lynnwood.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:53 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,155,460 times
Quote:
What is so special about Bellevue?? Whats wrong with living in Northgate Seattle.

In my opinion Northgate seattle is a better location than Bellevue because you are close to Ballard,downtown seattle and other parts of Seattle as well.

My friends in Bellevue think Seattle as a city isnt as safe as Bellevue.
You can have an opinion. So can I. Facts may or may not overturn opinions.

Northgate is a tolerable location. How do you get out of town, or would you want to? Can't really go north, or south, during commute hours now can you.

I'm somewhat hemmed in in Kirkland, as-well, must be said. I suspect we all are, same was true when I lived in Mill Creek.

I am a bus ride from downtown, it's really easy. The 255 runs from six blocks away to/through the underground downtown stations, terminating at International. Northgate is probably not much easier, though perhaps closer in terms of absolute difference.

Bellevue is a much better location for Eastside employers, end of story. Couple big insurance firms out here, a massive telecom, massive IT, and a satellite of an equally massive IT based in Silicon Valley. For example. The whole place is obviously thriving economically, as is downtown Seattle too of-course.

Wander around either the Mall area or old town Bellevue (from Bellevue Way west on Main), it's pretty cool. The latter: Couple trendy restaurants, nice little cafes, other fluffy businesses like what finds in Kirkland. Kirkland is at least that cool, with tons to do the summer. Love my home town in the summer; in the winter it's nice on a blustery day if you're brave enough to walk along Lk WA Blvd (chilly!). Not aware of anything comparable in Northgate other than that mall. There are some streets on that side near the mall that seem interesting for wandering, not sure if that is actually into U District at that point.

Look at crime maps for stats. I don't have any handy, nor do I care to the point of the discussion: Bellevue is a more affluent area and probably will remain so for decades, on the average, thus may be a better investment depending on your believe in real estate bubbles, employment trends, etc. Affluence pretty much equates to "safer", world-over, because 1) fewer scumbags and petty criminals 2) police far more willing to quietly (or not so quietly) but firmly run out scumbags and petty criminals.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Mountlake Terrace, Lake Forest Park, possibly Shoreline, certainly Lynnwood.
Lynwood seems like a good value if you don't mind living further out.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Lynwood seems like a good value if you don't mind living further out.
It is, and it's still well-connected to Seattle by transit. Parts of it aren't very scenic, though, so it would depend on where a condo building is located, as to whether Lynnwood would be an attractive option.

It's really important, when you're considering buying a condo, to not only find out what the monthly dues are, but to try to figure out if the committee in charge of maintenance is on the ball. For example, scrutinize the exterior to try to eyeball whether they're doing timely maintenance. (Good paint job? Or perhaps in need of new paint on the south side of the bldg.? Are they letting things like that go too long?) You can buy into a building, calculating that you can manage the monthlies, then suddenly get slammed with a big jump in the monthly fees, because the management decided they're overdue for a new roof, and haven't collected enough in dues over the years to pay for it. Guess who gets stuck with part of the roofing bill, to help them catch up?

Caveat emptor.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
It is, and it's still well-connected to Seattle by transit. Parts of it aren't very scenic, though, so it would depend on where a condo building is located, as to whether Lynnwood would be an attractive option.

It's really important, when you're considering buying a condo, to not only find out what the monthly dues are, but to try to figure out if the committee in charge of maintenance is on the ball. For example, scrutinize the exterior to try to eyeball whether they're doing timely maintenance. (Good paint job? Or perhaps in need of new paint on the south side of the bldg.? Are they letting things like that go too long?) You can buy into a building, calculating that you can manage the monthlies, then suddenly get slammed with a big jump in the monthly fees, because the management decided they're overdue for a new roof, and haven't collected enough in dues over the years to pay for it. Guess who gets stuck with part of the roofing bill, to help them catch up?

Caveat emptor.
When you buy a condo you really need to carefully research the building before making a decision. Im going to take my time and buy a condo when the time is right for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area