Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:51 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times

Advertisements

I don't pretend to have the answer to the homeless problem, but I do know what the city government is currently doing isn't working or ever will work. Plus, I'm not paid by the taxpayers a six "plus" figure income to solve this problem either.

A percentage of the homeless population can be lifted back into being productive AND tax paying citizens again with some assistance... Those are the ones that should get the bulk of assistance. But, the problem is that a larger percentage of the homeless population ARE homeless by choice, mainly due to alcohol and drug addictions, which to them, is what is important... Nothing more and nothing less. With this group, you're not going to talk them back into reality or "love" them back to reality either. Since society, as a whole, isn't willing or ready to do what is needed, I say screw it and move on.

I'm at the point that I'm fine with not give them anything or even entertain listening to their BS signs and stories since 95% of it is pure BS anyway. I spent an entire career dealing with many of the homeless and all the problems that rotates around them and that lifestyle and yes, it's a lifestyle, that many of them have freely chosen for themselve. Sorry, giving them free micro apartments, safe injection sites isn't going to fix anything. Let's be honest, how much food do most of the homeless actually buy with their EBT cards?? ...Very little. How many of them are using their free smartphones to seek out employment?? ...Very little. Just to make it clear, those items are not "free" since the taxpayer/consumer are the ones stuck with the bill. So, as the average taxpayer/consumer, we're basically being played as fools, which many of us, to include myself, have allowed this fraud to be played in the first place by not asking why and demanding that all the "books" be opened for review by the General public.

My "solution" to the problem is to give every taxpayer in Seattle/King County a tax refund and call it quits since that would be far more productive than what the city/county is currently doing. I'm more than fine with ignoring the Walking Dead since that's what they are UNTIL they fix themselves or simply fade away. "I" as an individual, feel no obligation(s) to help them anymore.

I'm just tired that our highly paid/compensated elected officials really don't care about solving this problem or any other problems we face as a community. And we, the people, cannot unify as "one" since half of the population will push the cart forward, while the half will than push the same cart rearward and both sides will complain that there is no progress being made... "WE," as a collective, are the problem AND "WE" are also the solution to this problem or any other problem(s) we may face.

Last edited by bergun; 06-01-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
The "homeless" problem should really be called a "drug addiction" problem.

Pretty much every homeless complaint I read about on the Internet is not really about homeless people, its about drug addicts.

Yes, I realize there are economic homeless and people who have been driven out by rising prices. But they are, by in large, not the people harassing people on trails, pooping on the streets, stealing and chopping bikes, and creating the problems people complain the most about online and in person.

We need to separate the problem of drug addiction from the problem of lack of residences for economically disadvantaged people. Giving drug addicts money and a house will not solve their problem. Forcing "down on their luck" law abiding citizens to live with drug addicts is, at best, a poor solution, and at worst, downright inhumane.
The most popular drug of the homeless is alcohol

Old 06-02-2018, 07:38 AM

35 posts, read 24,054 times
For the first time, King County’s annual one-night count of homelessness found more than half of homeless people were sleeping outside versus in shelter, with a stark increase in the number of vehicle campers.

With pressure to show progress on the homelessness crisis, the county on Thursday announced an overall 4 percent increase in the annual snapshot count of homeless people, to 12,112.

The count, conducted in January, found a worsening problem of people living in tent camps, cars, RVs and the street compared to last year. More than 70 percent of the county’s unsheltered homeless people were in Seattle.

As Seattle and the county’s declared state of emergency on homelessness enters a third year, the one-night numbers are sure to roil an already heated debate about how to better respond.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...eping-outside/

Old 06-02-2018, 10:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Hence "proper adjudication" and sentencing, under vagrancy laws, for criminal trespass and related offences. If I'm off in the details, I'm not in the broad strokes.

It isn't "certainly" anything, nor do I advocate police-state tactics, but I do advocate society taking actionable steps towards those who refuse to work, insist on throwing ___ everywhere, decide it is their "right" to setup campsites in million dollar home neighborhoods, flip the bird to every authority figure, refuse to pay taxes, and in fact refuse to do anything to forward society except parasitically sponge off productives. That's called being a derelict, bum, and vagrant. There certainly are laws to ticket, then arrest, detain, and sentence true bums that are neither "unconstitutional (nor) illegal." States have been doing it for years, decades, and in-fact centuries throughout Europe with sufficient political will. Separate out the mentally ill and drug-using criminals.
Who is going to decide who is "refusing to work"? If a homeless person doesn't have a job, does that mean they don't want one, or could it be that no one will hire them - either due to their appearance, their lack of work history and job training and possibly education?

If you don't give people a place to sleep, they will sleep where they can find a place to lay down. The courts have repeatedly held that you can't arrest someone for sleeping in public unless you can offer them shelter and they refuse it. And once you separate the mentally ill and the drug addicts what are you going to do with them, send them all off to some kind of state hospital?

Old 06-02-2018, 10:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
The poorer go where there is money, food & shelter
Been there done that

Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Ship them up north to Bellingham.
He!! NO! We have our own homeless. And, Seattle type SJWs who think that those who own single family homes are priveleged. They also think that neighborhoods should become diverse with mixed income levels and races. These people want to abolish single family neighborhoods and mix in apartments, duplexes amd 4 plexes Take your Seattle Marxist ideologies and scram. You are who they get their crazy ideas from. Or, else the California liberals have made inroads up here, not content to have messed up the Golden State which is tarnished.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
He!! NO! We have our own homeless. And, Seattle type SJWs who think that those who own single family homes are priveleged. They also think that neighborhoods should become diverse with mixed income levels and races. These people want to abolish single family neighborhoods and mix in apartments, duplexes amd 4 plexes Take your Seattle Marxist ideologies and scram. You are who they get their crazy ideas from. Or, else the California liberals have made inroads up here, not content to have messed up the Golden State which is tarnished.
Well said!!

Old 06-03-2018, 11:01 AM

387 posts, read 358,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
when liberals start ranting about ignorant rednecks I know to ignore them. conversely, when conservatives start ranting about sjws/marxists I know to ignore them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area