Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,951 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm looking to move to WA from Central IL. Would likely be working in Tukwila, WA. Don't necessarily want to live downtown Washington due to cost. I'm a 30yr old single male, so looking for things to do/experience while I'm there would be a plus! Not sure what income would look like at this point, but lets use a hypothetical $70-$75k/yr income level to be on the safe side. Tukwila seems a little small for my liking, so probably looking outside of there, but don't want a crazy commute either. Would also like to stay within a reasonable distance to Seattle to get the "big city" pros.

A big thanks in advance for all the responses! Let me know if there's anything else I need to add for additional input, appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 02:43 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Renton Highlands, Burien, stay away from White Center, West Seattle is spendy but close and affordable.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:50 PM

Thank you! I'll check out Burien! I was also looking at Renton? Is $70k reasonable for living in that part of Washington? I'd like to be able to have money to do things as well and would not want to live paycheck-to-paycheck on housing.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:10 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Beacon Hill or Columbia City near light rail, best of both worlds. Pretty easy Tukwila commute without using freeway but easy access to the cool things that are Seattle. Oh, just saw your screen name, you are going to LOVE the Sounders professional soccer action out here. 50,000 people a match, great fans, feels like British "footy" culture. Great soccer pubs too.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:15 PM

Actually already a big fan of the Sounders!! I'll look into both areas!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,819 times
Hello, and welcome! For $70,000/yr, I'd suggest living a little further south! Have you looked into Kent or Auburn? It's a little further from the city, but the cost of living will be more affordable. Commute from Auburn to Tukwila is about 40 minutes - 20-25 minutes from Kent in rush hour traffic. It's tough to find a good commute/cost of living here anymore unless you are a multimillionaire

Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2018, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the advice! That's a bummer to hear. Was hoping I could find something between Tukwila and Seattle on that salary, that way I can enjoy the city.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:55 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
30% of $70,000 = $1,750/mo.

For between Tukwila and Seattle, look at North Beacon Hill (LR), Columbia City (LR), Brighton (Othello LR), Georgetown/South Park, Junction (West Seattle). Lots of 1bd apts you should be able to afford.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...41_rect/12_zm/

Old 04-06-2018, 11:15 PM

269 posts, read 297,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerpk6 View Post
Thanks for the advice! That's a bummer to hear. Was hoping I could find something between Tukwila and Seattle on that salary, that way I can enjoy the city.

I am guessing that "Central Illinois" does not have you in some large-ish city with uncomfortable rush hour commutes.

But with Seattle's present and its trends toward the future in mind, IF you have a job lined-up in Tukwila, WA, you do NOT want to aggravate your (life, really) by negating the relative ease of working in Tukwila by subjecting yourself to any more of Seattle's rush-hour mess than you have to.

Instead of applying the percentage of your income it would require to position your home between central Seattle and Tukwila, you would optimize more effectively by finding a spot to the south which would reduce rent/home costs and ideally land you a daily commute which is convenient and not on the same exact path which everybody else is taking.

Rather than Seattle-Tukwila home location, find a hill, and/or a quiet area to the south/east to which the masses have no reason to go very often to keep your home life relatively safe and unaffected by the crazy growth around here.

The city will be there when you wish to enjoy it, but you don't need to pay the accelerated costs associating with living (in Seattle), when you have a job in Tukwila.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:31 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Because he'd be working in Tukwila doesn't mean he should live in the burbs or boonies. He's single and relatively young (30). If he can pull down $70k, he can afford to live closer to the "city" action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area