Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:21 PM

236 posts, read 259,277 times

Advertisements

So I've been considering moving to Seattle for a few years but haven't been able to because of my phobia of driving up steep hills. I spent a few weeks (rain-free so the roads weren't even slippery) in Seattle a couple of years ago and was terrified of driving there because of the steep hills all over the city. I already know that I can't drive in West Seattle, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, Madison Park, and downtown.
My current city does have a few steep hilly streets, but I know where they are and avoid ever taking them.

Since I took the bus all over the city even though I had my car with me, I can't remember whether Ballard, Fremont, Greenlake, or Wallingford have a lot of the steep hills. Do they and are there any safe areas within city limits that are fairly flat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 10:57 PM

638 posts, read 529,741 times
Seattle is pretty hilly.

http://faculty.washington.edu/momara...7a79d5960b.png

While somewhat safe, the areas which are not hilly are few and far between. The flat part is the industrial area.

In addition, how would you get across the city to meet friends? While there is a lot to do within a neighborhood, you wouldn't want to get stuck.

Portland is much flatter, relatively speaking:

Topographic map Portland

Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Belltown/Denny Regrade is flat - that's where they sluiced Denny Hill away: https://seattle.curbed.com/2016/4/21...y-regrade-1905

North Seattle isn't very hilly. More "slopey".

Old 04-13-2018, 11:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
Out of curiosity, why Seattle? Is there something unique here that you can't find in a flatter area that won't stress you out so much?

Old 04-13-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Seattle is pretty hilly.

http://faculty.washington.edu/momara...7a79d5960b.png

While somewhat safe, the areas which are not hilly are few and far between. The flat part is the industrial area.

In addition, how would you get across the city to meet friends? While there is a lot to do within a neighborhood, you wouldn't want to get stuck.

Portland is much flatter, relatively speaking:

Topographic map Portland
Portland is a pretty city too, but I already lived in Oregon (not Portland) for a few years and the bridges are scary if you have a fear of heights like I do.

Maybe all the people who are afraid to drive just take Lyft/Uber/cabs/buses around the city. Since I just signed a 3-year lease and I like my car, it would be nice to at least be able to drive some places.

I'm already used to having to mostly only see friends who live within a few miles for traffic reasons so that wouldn't be much of a change, but if I ever had to work downtown that could be a real issue. Logically, I know that even the buses seem to be able to go up the hills without sliding down backwards, but I feel like it could happen at any time and panic. Going down steep hills is mostly okay though -- I just can't drive up them.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Belltown/Denny Regrade is flat - that's where they sluiced Denny Hill away: https://seattle.curbed.com/2016/4/21...y-regrade-1905

North Seattle isn't very hilly. More "slopey".
That would probably be okay. So Ballard, Greenlake, and Fremont don't have lots of steep hills? I haven't been north of Greenlake (and only went to the lake itself) but have heard mixed things about the safety of some of the neighborhoods further north.

Also, I think I remember seeing some interesting characters walking through Belltown a few years ago (2011?), not sure whether I'd feel comfortable living there even being from a big city...

Last edited by nja2016; 04-13-2018 at 11:56 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Out of curiosity, why Seattle? Is there something unique here that you can't find in a flatter area that won't stress you out so much?
The unique thing about Seattle is it has a large highly educated population, has good weather, and it has real trees (not palm trees). I've lived on the West Coast my whole life and am really only interested in living in a big city on the West Coast. The weather thing is important since I have reverse SAD, I don't like year-round heat because it's depressing, and liked Oregon's weather except summer.

Also, I've had bad luck dating here because so many guys are shallow and time is running out to hopefully find a fellow introvert and start a family before I'm too old instead of being alone for the next 50 years or so here. So basically, I need to be in a large West Coast city with smart introverted men and cool weather.

Last edited by nja2016; 04-14-2018 at 12:10 AM..

Old 04-14-2018, 01:11 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
The topography of Seattle is such that there's no way to avoid the hills. AT ALL. It's not possible.

Going from east to west pretty much guarantees a change of elevation (so much so that there are microclimates in the city where one neighborhood might have one type of weather and a neighboring area may have different weather). It's unavoidable.

Fremont has steep hills.

North Ballard has some serious elevation. So do parts of the U-District.

I can only think of two neighborhoods that are mostly flat: Ballard and Madison Park. But to get to those places, you would likely need to traverse some serious elevations.

It seems like a terrible idea to move to a place that is geographically fighting against you.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:21 AM

638 posts, read 529,741 times
But how will you avoid bridges? How will you work?

How likely do you think you are to find a guy who also wants to avoid bridges and hills? Again, not to be rude, but that's a pretty rare phobia and even more so in Seattle considering how impractical it is.

Have you tried therapy for your phobias? I can't imagine living in Seattle with a fear of bridges and hills. I understand you can't control it but I think there are treatments that help.

You aren't afraid of boats are you?

Old 04-14-2018, 07:14 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Georgetown is one area that lays flat but if living Seattle you'll need to accept hills and bridges come with the mild climate and trees.

Georgetown is also a mix of industrial/commercial/residential properties, I like it but if my goal was to raise a family I'd be looking elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area