Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 04:53 PM

268 posts, read 358,333 times

Advertisements

Hi I would really appreciate some feedback.
The potential job in is north end of Tacoma, so we are now looking where we could live. Two things that's are essential: Good-schools for our 9 year old and if possible not too isolated. Gig Harbor looks great but very isolated. Other options:
We could look at University Place or ..move to Seattle and commute to work via the Sounder train.
I'm very aware that our 950K budget will go much farther in Tacoma-UP than in Queen Anne!
This said, We are Ok with small. I looked in private schools in Tacoma but the admission is ...22k!
On the flip side I wonder if its not a good time to buy into the Tacoma area before prices go crazy ( Not sure but it is a possibility).

Thoughts?
Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 05:33 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
North End Tacoma is beautiful, $600-$700K will get you a gorgeous, classic home. Many lawyers, doctors, professionals live there and choose to send their kids to private schools. I agree with you, lots of upside with Tacoma. I wouldn't want to commute on that long train.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:23 PM

Thank you for the input. Honestly the 55 minutes of train is not a deal breaker as I spend 1.5 hours one way in California to go to work . What about UP? Seems like good schools ?

Old 06-05-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
Thank you for the input. Honestly the 55 minutes of train is not a deal breaker as I spend 1.5 hours one way in California to go to work . What about UP? Seems like good schools ?
Sure. UP has higher rated schools but not nearly the access to culture and community feeling of the North End.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:34 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,086 times
Yes they are some of the best in the region , my daughter attends Curtis in the UP district, but very conservative ( which may be fine for you IDK ) for us not so much. It's a smallish district but again its a very good district that people really try to work out a way to get into . I have to show all kinds of things to prove I live here and I have been here 3 years .

Old 06-05-2018, 07:58 PM

I have lived in hard right Bible Belt Indiana and hard left south California. As long as I can think what I want I'm fine is there a downtown in UP?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:35 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
The three morning Sounder runs from Seattle might work, but the last return evening run leaves Tacoma at 5:15 pm.

If working in Tacoma's Northend, live in the Northend. Stadium, Old Town, Wedge District, Proctor, Three Bridges District, North Slope, UPS, 6th Avenue. For instance:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...93_rect/13_zm/

Note that the school scores are improving as richer families move in and poorer families move out. Great Schools' rankings are 100% based on test scores, which are heavily correlated with family income. Research schools using services such as Niche, which evaluate and rate schools based on a list of key factors. Spend some of the $22k you'll be saving by hiring tutors, if needed.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:43 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,086 times
Quote:
I have lived in hard right Bible Belt Indiana and hard left south California. As long as I can think what I want I'm fine is there a downtown in UP?
You are like me in that i came from bible belt Texas but thank goodness lived all over the world . Cali too . No this is more of a college nook in Tacoma , its pretty and upscale-ish and on the sound - but a suburb . The transit is not good , I'm on Westridge Ave so you can see the area on a map . Traffic has gotten VERY HARSH in the last 2 years . i have to get in the car and go downtown by the Tacoma dome to get on the bus to Seattle .

Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 PM

Will check out the north end.Perhaps Tacoma is really up and coming!

Old 06-05-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Will check out the north end.Perhaps Tacoma is really up and coming!
Don't know if you are old enough to remember but they filmed that movie "Hand that Rocks the Cradle" in one of those big Tacoma North End mansions.

I really like what is happening in Downtown Tacoma, lots of groovy little cafes, coffee shops, artists who can't afford Seattle anymore. Here are a couple cool spots to explore:

Museum of Glass, very neat: https://www.museumofglass.org

Tacoma Union Station, Classic Architecture: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unio...ma,_Washington)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area