Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:40 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

So fall is coming up, and I wanted to ask about some of best things to do this time of year.

Growing up in the Midwest, I really enjoyed fall. Nice change from the summer heat, and a beautiful transition into winter. I’m especially looking forward to fall this year after the horrible, smoky late/July and August we have had.

Where I come from there are endless apple orchards. I know Washington is the #1 producer of apples in the US, which is why I was surprised not to find a single U-pick orchard online within an hour of Seattle. The closest I could find is Bellwood Farms about 2 hours north, near the Canada border. I was elated to discover that they sell apple cider doughnuts, something you see commonly in Midwestern grocery stores/markets this time of year, but oddly uncommon in this part of Washington, being the apple Mecca. Bellwood Farms seems like a large orchard with many different apple varietals. Looking forward to visit.

I found a few more, but most were east of the Cascades. Nothing in the immediate area or the OP.

Some other things I was wondering about:

Pumpkin Patches
Oktoberfest
Renaissance Festivals
Halloween Events
Ghost Tours
Fall Hikes that feature deciduous trees with vibrant fall colors (i.e. not heavy on pine/fir trees)
Other significant Seattle-specific events that take place in the fall
Anything else fall-related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:52 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Jones Creek Farm has U-Pick apples:
SkagitValleyFruit ---------- Home

Old 08-30-2018, 10:54 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Leavenworth for Oktoberfest, a little hokey but good fun in a beautiful setting.

Georgetown (Seattle) real morgue haunted house would be good around Halloween: Georgetown Morgue Seattle Premiere Haunted House Attraction Seattle Washington

Old 08-30-2018, 11:31 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,361,243 times
The Japanese Maples (changing color) at the Seattle Japanese Garden at Washington Park Arboretum in October:

https://www.seattlejapanesegarden.org/album-03

For cider:

https://www.seattlemet.com/articles/...r-october-2013

https://www.washingtonciderweek.org/ (Sept. 6th - 16th)

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 08-31-2018 at 12:05 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 08:54 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,079,223 times
The climate west of the mountains is not ideal for orchards; head to the US 97 corridor on the other side of the Cascades for mile after mile of fabulous orchard country.

There are pumpkin patches and corn mazes in several locations in Snohomish and east King County - look at the Monroe/Snohomish areas as well as the Snoqualmie Valley (Carnation, Fall City etc.)

They don't call Washington the "Evergreen State" for nothing, y'know. For more deciduous trees, head east, but even there, don't look for Midwest or eastern fall color; we just don't have it. Places like the Japanese Gardens have great color, otherwise, again, head east to orchard country. A weekend in the Hood River Valley east of Portland is very rewarding in the autumn.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:48 PM

1,487 posts, read 781,650 times
Default Fall Events in Spooky Town

https://www.seattle.gov/images/Depar...enueSouth5.jpg

You don't need a tour. There are these houses which run along the other side of the street as the viewpoint. They are creepy as👻. I know they are haunted. I haven't been there since 2010, and will never go back to that street. I was visiting a friend who was house-sitting. No overnights, so I set off for the bus around 10pm. I started walking and broke into a run just to get away from that creepy street. Seattle has a very checkered past.
I think the apple orchards are pretty much owned by Aplets and Cotlets(?), and TreeTop(?) U-picks, if there are any, would be few and far between.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tkyvqnGgoynsG5ZS8

https://www.events12.com/seattle/october/

I sent off some good links. I hope you can attend these events.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:55 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Fosters Farm in Arlington is a great day trip. Pumpkin patch, corn maze, tasty ice cream. Here's the link: Fosters Cornmaze and Pumpkin Patch, Arlington WA

Old 08-31-2018, 06:32 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
The climate west of the mountains is not ideal for orchards; head to the US 97 corridor on the other side of the Cascades for mile after mile of fabulous orchard country.

It is good for cider and many heirloom apples, however.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post

There are pumpkin patches and corn mazes in several locations in Snohomish and east King County - look at the Monroe/Snohomish areas as well as the Snoqualmie Valley (Carnation, Fall City etc.)

They don't call Washington the "Evergreen State" for nothing, y'know. For more deciduous trees, head east, but even there, don't look for Midwest or eastern fall color; we just don't have it. Places like the Japanese Gardens have great color, otherwise, again, head east to orchard country. A weekend in the Hood River Valley east of Portland is very rewarding in the autumn.
I don’t know, I just got back from Bellwood Farms in Lynden and had some of the best apples I’ve ever tasted. They grow 21 different varieties there. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip up there, though I was disappointed that they didn’t have any cider doughnuts (the machine doesn’t arrive until Monday). Guess it’s an excuse to go back before the end of the season.

They also have a distillery and make some pretty amazing apple brandy.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:41 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area