Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:07 AM

405 posts, read 394,088 times

Advertisements

UVillage is amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 12:14 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
BTW, what's stopping people from taking the bus?
Depends on from where. Most of the all-day/frequent buses west of UW's campus (#44, #45, #49, etc.) don't come anywhere near it. You have to get off at UWMC and walk (or catch the #65).

When I moved to Seattle as a teenager in the early 60s, the old #30 bus ran straight out 45th, past Greek Row, to University Village, and out to Sand Point. Maybe once the U District Station opens, they'll straighten the #44 and run it out past U Village, to Children's and Magnuson Park.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Depends on from where. Most of the all-day/frequent buses west of UW's campus (#44, #45, #49, etc.) don't come anywhere near it. You have to get off at UWMC and walk (or catch the #65).

When I moved to Seattle as a teenager in the early 60s, the old #30 bus ran straight out 45th, past Greek Row, to University Village, and out to Sand Point. Maybe once the U District Station opens, they'll straighten the #44 and run it out past U Village, to Children's and Magnuson Park.
I don't remember which one it was, but I thought one of the buses from Wallingford continued on along 45th, and down to U Village, There's also the 25, on the east side of the village, and another bus that comes from Lake City Way, going past the Village. Has service in that area been cut back?

This is a good example of why the problem of global warming will never be effectively addressed. In order to do that, public transit needs to improve tremendously, so that taking transit will become more convenient than driving, fighting traffic, and looking for parking.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
From DT, I take the light-rail up to the U-dist then walk to the village. Quick and easy.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
From DT, I take the light-rail up to the U-dist then walk to the village. Quick and easy.
Walking down and back up that hill isn't my idea of quick and easy. There used to be a bus that went that route. That hill is why students who lived across form the UW campus on 45th and blocked north of there, never shopped in U Village. Everyone went to Safeway, which is farther away, but doesn't involve climbing a hill carrying a bag of groceries.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:15 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,042 times
What hill? It's dead flat from the light rail station to Uvillage. Or you can grab the 65 or 78 right in front of Husky Stadium for the ~3/4 mile jaunt.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:30 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
What hill? It's dead flat from the light rail station to Uvillage. Or you can grab the 65 or 78 right in front of Husky Stadium for the ~3/4 mile jaunt.
Yep, it's a flat walk. Ruth, you're thinking of up on campus and west of campus, which is a hike. But getting off the link involves just heading straight down Montlake to UVillage. Easy walk, just takes a little time.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Yep, it's a flat walk. Ruth, you're thinking of up on campus and west of campus, which is a hike. But getting off the link involves just heading straight down Montlake to UVillage. Easy walk, just takes a little time.
Yes. I thought he meant the U District Station, but that hasn't been built yet. Sorry. I didn't know there was another university-area stop.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
It's still a hike, or if catching the #65, there's transfer time added to the trip time. The walk from U Village to the Ave is a climb.

When the U District Station opens, you'll be able to hop off the #44 bus and onto light rail to the UW Station to quickly get to UWMC, for instance. I'm hoping that, rather than truncating the #44, they'll string wires past 15th to U Village, Children's, and Magnuson Park.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't remember which one it was, but I thought one of the buses from Wallingford continued on along 45th, and down to U Village, There's also the 25, on the east side of the village, and another bus that comes from Lake City Way, going past the Village. Has service in that area been cut back?

This is a good example of why the problem of global warming will never be effectively addressed. In order to do that, public transit needs to improve tremendously, so that taking transit will become more convenient than driving, fighting traffic, and looking for parking.
The #25 bus got lopped off when the UW Station opened. It was partly replaced by the #78, which is basically a shuttle between UW and Children's, but which does not run on weekends or after 6:30pm.

The other bus you mentioned is the #75, which services Children's, U Village, and UW campus, but not the UW Station. Once the U District Station opens, I'm hoping a straightened and extended #44 can take over most of that route. Lake City to UW campus ridership would be routed through Northgate Station.

Note that NE 35th is scheduled to be road-dieted, although local residents are fighting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area