Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 897 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I are thinking of moving from the Boston suburbs to Redmond/Bellevue/Kirkland to be closer to family on the West Coast and find better opportunities professionally. For anyone who's lived in both places, how do healthcare and public schools compare? It's a big move and these are the two final puzzle pieces I'm trying to understand. I had an amazing L&D experience at Newton-Wellesley Hospital (despite 35 hours in labor and an emergency C) and have generally been very happy with Harvard Vanguard/Atrius Health. We also love our (albeit very expensive, 25-40% more than we'd pay in Seattle) daycare. I am nervous I'll have regrets about leaving if these dimensions suck comparatively. Any thoughts? Many, many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 03:57 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,528,204 times
Seattle has better public schools. Boston has better healthcare.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:17 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,084,065 times
I would not be concerned in the slightest about any reduction in the quality of healthcare or education. The Seattle region is on a par with Boston and Philly in terms of medical resources, with numerous high quality providers and networks. And the east side suburbs you're targeting have excellent schools and other community resources.

Remember there's no state or local income tax in Washington, and utility expenses are going to be quite a lot cheaper than in the Boston area (warmer winters, less need for a/c in the summers) so if you want to redirect those funds to daycare or other cost of living areas, you'll still probably be money ahead.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:18 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,203,216 times
You’ll probably have to deal with lower wages in Seattle vs Boston

Old 02-20-2019, 05:07 AM

8,178 posts, read 8,320,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonmom12345 View Post
Hi everyone! My husband and I are thinking of moving from the Boston suburbs to Redmond/Bellevue/Kirkland to be closer to family on the West Coast and find better opportunities professionally. For anyone who's lived in both places, how do healthcare and public schools compare? It's a big move and these are the two final puzzle pieces I'm trying to understand. I had an amazing L&D experience at Newton-Wellesley Hospital (despite 35 hours in labor and an emergency C) and have generally been very happy with Harvard Vanguard/Atrius Health. We also love our (albeit very expensive, 25-40% more than we'd pay in Seattle) daycare. I am nervous I'll have regrets about leaving if these dimensions suck comparatively. Any thoughts? Many, many thanks in advance!
Hi BostonMom. I think you'll find schools and healthcare quite similar. My kids were born at Overlake Medical Center in Bellevue, excellent. Some of the top notch medicine in the area is in Seattle proper, I know the same is true of Boston. In my experience, people who relocate from Boston have a fairly seamless transition, I have heard some of them say that they are able to access hiking/skiing and the mountains more quickly out here. I went to UVM in Vermont and came out here after university, I can tell you that I don't miss the frigid New England winters. Best wishes.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:46 PM

361 posts, read 399,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonmom12345 View Post
I know that you are mainly curious about healthcare and daycare for your kids, if you and your significant other end up moving to the Seattle area.

I also want to add that if you are looking to make friends here or to get to know the locals here, they tend to be standoff-ish, aloof, cold, anti-social.
That compared to the more social, outgoing people in Boston. I know because I have visited Boston on numerous occasions to visit a friend doing his medical residency at Boston General Hospital and one of my relatives used to live in the Newton area.

Not saying that all Seattlites are like this. But compared to the locals in Boston, people here tend to be more guarded, don't like accepting Facebook friend invites, and people I have met at Meet Up events here in Seattle tend to ghost out on you.

Good luck with your move to Seattle if you all end up moving here.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 PM

8,178 posts, read 8,320,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
I know that you are mainly curious about healthcare and daycare for your kids, if you and your significant other end up moving to the Seattle area.

I also want to add that if you are looking to make friends here or to get to know the locals here, they tend to be standoff-ish, aloof, cold, anti-social.
That compared to the more social, outgoing people in Boston. I know because I have visited Boston on numerous occasions to visit a friend doing his medical residency at Boston General Hospital and one of my relatives used to live in the Newton area.

Not saying that all Seattlites are like this. But compared to the locals in Boston, people here tend to be more guarded, don't like accepting Facebook friend invites, and people I have met at Meet Up events here in Seattle tend to ghost out on you.

I hear this so often and I just don't agree. I have a number of great friends in Seattle, more than I can handle actually . I think a lot of it is about establishing permanence, rooting yourself in a neighborhood and getting involved in your community.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:03 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post

I’m a former Bostonian...lived downtown and in Millis, Framingham and Maynard. Worked in Newton. I live in Spokane now but lived in Anacortes and spent lots of time in and around Seattle and I think western WA is far more friendly and open than anywhere in the Boston area.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,543,778 times
sidebar:
Issaquah's Swedish Hospital Campus is like a 5 star hotel, as seen from the lobby.
[If you are planning more babies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irjH36_CcdE ]

We use Overlake for no other reason than the clinics are close to us in Redmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area