Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 AM

13 posts, read 19,913 times

Advertisements

I'm talking K-12. I see rating for both by each state but have no idea how they relate to each other. Is a great Texas school comparable to a great Mass one? Is an academically challenging Texas one, impossible to a South of Boston kid, or vice versa? Any info from transplants or others? I'm doing all this research, and I see houses that we can easily afford (with some college savings breathing room) in schools that aren't "the best" but seem solid in Cypress, but I don't know what the really translates to...Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,698,192 times
No, in general public schools in the south are not very good. There is a strong push to crush the public school systems down here. Massachusetts on the other hand probably has the best in the nation. Cypress is not really known for their schools as some of the other suburbs are.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,022,255 times
Cy-Fair isn't known for their schools? As compared to what? Cy-Fair is consistently at the top of public school district ratings in the area.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:16 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,700 times
Yes, Cy-Fair is one of the top performing school districts in the area year after year. I don't know why Schumacher713 thinks otherwise.

It is very difficult to compare schools across states. Goodness knows I have tried to do this myself. Note well, the national lists such as "best high schools" first normalize each school's data to its individual state's average performance! Therefore better schools in low performing/standards states like TX are artificially bumped up in the rankings.

Here is a good place to start in comparing state standards and getting mired in data. A quick glance at the color coding reveals that MA has higher proficiency standards than TX.

State Profiles.net

Old 03-28-2014, 10:31 AM

104 posts, read 177,087 times
Texas education overall may not rank high nationally but in affluent areas where parents are involved with their kids' education there are some very good schools. My kids go to a school that is getting a lot of transplants from all over the country (and world). It depends on the kid but the new ones coming in don't seem either way ahead or way behind ( assuming they speak good english)based on what my kids say.

I don't know enough about Cy Fair to say which are the better schools. I am in Katy ISD.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:31 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,875,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
No, in general public schools in the south are not very good. There is a strong push to crush the public school systems down here. Massachusetts on the other hand probably has the best in the nation. Cypress is not really known for their schools as some of the other suburbs are.
??? Cy-Fair (Cypress-Fairbanks) has been the largest Recognized school district in Texas on the whole. Now there are great schools, good schools and even not as good schools in Cy-Fair just like other areas. FWIW, my oldest two graduated in the top 10.1% and 9.1% of their classes (my son missed top 10% by 3 kids, but ended up getting into University of Texas for his Sophmore year, while my daughter missed the top 9% by about 5 kids). My son graduated with a B average and my daughter has an A- on the Dean's list at Texas A&M. They got good educations from an average Cy-Fair school IMO. I won't say it is the best in the area, but it is certainly not "not really known for their schools".

Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 AM

13 posts, read 19,913 times
SocialD--Are you in Cinco? Honestly one of the things I was wondering about is whether there is some self-limiting to Texas colleges down the road. I'd like to have my kids have a shot at Boston College, Georgetown, etc, but if the TX schools are looked down upon (not saying they are, just wondering if they are ) then that might be a problem...

Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 AM

104 posts, read 177,087 times
Yes, Cinco Ranch.

Rice and UT Austin are recognized as two of the best colleges in the US and they are full of Texas kids. If BC and Georgetown would not consider TX kids then at would be their loss, but I doubt that is the case.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:18 AM

264 posts, read 442,244 times
JRBNS, each campus is different and there is a lot of variation between campuses. I live in CFISD and was very happy until high school. We had to transition to private., no regrets (we are many years out). With regard to having a shot at Boston College, Georgetown, etc., my own opinion that I have felt for a long time is that it is indeed more difficult for a TX student to get into these schools. However, I think that changes at the graduate school level.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:49 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Schumacher is correct, Cy-Fair is only considerd a good ISD according to Texas standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston