Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 12:05 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times

Advertisements

https://komonews.com/news/local/komo...attle-is-dying

You all know my 2 cents about this.

Komo did not hold back.

Last edited by 87112; 03-17-2019 at 12:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 04:20 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,419 times
I gave up on Seattle years ago.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:21 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
I don't travel much so my question for those that do: Is this happening in other American cities... San Diego, LA, Portland?

It's been my impression that this is a west coast phenomenon and not Seattle specifically. Not that it matters too much either way...

Old 03-17-2019, 09:17 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,783 times
It’s happening in other cities, but no where near as bad or as rapidly as in Seattle

Old 03-17-2019, 09:42 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times

Komo did not hold back.

87112 - New Mexico awaits you! Just kidding. Sort of. I still love Seattle - it is my birth city. But I do not approve of how Seattle's government is handling the homeless/drug-addiction problem. Watch this video, people, to open up your eyes fully and completely to the problem.

The State of Rhode Island has decided to not just let people like this stay addicted and wreck their communities. The success rate of its grads is 93%. But it takes people in control of the government who are tough and who also care. Interestingly, the video mentions that the leaders of this program are women. But this is the sort of thing that needs to be done. Cops and citizens in Seattle are aware that not treating the addiction leads to more of the same. But sadly the Seattle and King County government doesn't feel like doing anything about the problem of addiction and homelessness.

Wrong response to a problem that is killing Seattle. Those pesky homeless people. Wish they'd just go away, eh? That's just it. The people in charge of things in Seattle are actually sending a message that Seattle and the West Coast is the place ta go for the homeless.

KOMO's Eric Johnson not only narrated the whole video but wrote the story as well. I'll take that to mean that Eric Johnson actually cares about the place he lives and works in.

Last edited by elkotronics; 03-17-2019 at 10:12 AM..

Old 03-17-2019, 11:14 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,079,223 times
I think probably it's KOMO-TV's viewers are dying off. Ever since KOMO was bought by Sinclair Broadcasting (which politically outfoxes Fox) the programming has been skewing to the right. It's only logical that KOMO/Sinclair would be gleeful in painting Seattle in the most disparaging light possible, seeing that their owner/masters have long gone full Trump. We are, after all, the New Gomorrah.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:34 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I think probably it's KOMO-TV's viewers are dying off. Ever since KOMO was bought by Sinclair Broadcasting (which politically outfoxes Fox) the programming has been skewing to the right. It's only logical that KOMO/Sinclair would be gleeful in painting Seattle in the most disparaging light possible, seeing that their owner/masters have long gone full Trump. We are, after all, the New Gomorrah.
Your statement is ALL politics and demonstrates that you didn't even take the time to watch.

That's actually one of the points of the piece, if you had watched it...

Politics and political rhetoric is enabling the death and destruction of Seattle. The city council and governing authorities are overly consumed with toeing platforms that they simply ignore the real problem.

Clearly you are just another one of them..

I don't see how ANYONE in their right mind can watch the video and not come to the same conclusions.

ENFORCE the LAW. Enforce comprehensive drug TREATMENT and REHABILITATION.

There should be nothing political about this..

Old 03-17-2019, 11:44 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Probably one of the top 3 dumbest things I’ve read on CD, and that’s saying quite a bit

Old 03-17-2019, 11:51 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,079,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Your statement is ALL politics and demonstrates that you didn't even take the time to watch.

That's actually one of the points of the piece, if you had watched it...

Politics and political rhetoric is enabling the death and destruction of Seattle. The city council and governing authorities are overly consumed with toeing platforms that they simply ignore the real problem.

Clearly you are just another one of them..

I don't see how ANYONE in their right mind can watch the video and not come to the same conclusions.
And you apparently aren't particularly familiar with Washington state law.

Are you familiar with the law and court rules in Washington State regarding involuntary commitment or treatment for mental health patients? How about the level of federal funding assistance for homelessness programs? How about jail capacity in Seattle and King County? I am. I worked in the business for years and years. Here.

Are you familiar with the powers granted to the City of Seattle under Title 35 RCW? What the city can and can't do with its money? I am.

Yes, I did watch the program. News flash: Seattle is not Rhode Island. Throw people into McNeil Island? Be sure to give them a copy of the constitution when you do, then get ready for the dance of the judges.

Quote:
ENFORCE the LAW. Enforce comprehensive drug TREATMENT and REHABILITATION.

There should be nothing political about this..
You are mistaken. It's ALL about politics, as was the KOMO piece.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:06 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Komo did not hold back.

87112 - New Mexico awaits you! Just kidding. Sort of. I still love Seattle - it is my birth city. But I do not approve of how Seattle's government is handling the homeless/drug-addiction problem. Watch this video, people, to open up your eyes fully and completely to the problem.

The State of Rhode Island has decided to not just let people like this stay addicted and wreck their communities. The success rate of its grads is 93%. But it takes people in control of the government who are tough and who also care. Interestingly, the video mentions that the leaders of this program are women. But this is the sort of thing that needs to be done. Cops and citizens in Seattle are aware that not treating the addiction leads to more of the same. But sadly the Seattle and King County government doesn't feel like doing anything about the problem of addiction and homelessness.

Wrong response to a problem that is killing Seattle. Those pesky homeless people. Wish they'd just go away, eh? That's just it. The people in charge of things in Seattle are actually sending a message that Seattle and the West Coast is the place ta go for the homeless.

KOMO's Eric Johnson not only narrated the whole video but wrote the story as well. I'll take that to mean that Eric Johnson actually cares about the place he lives and works in.
What’s wrong with intervention? If you leave people alone who have drug, mental or even work shy problems, things will never change. I heard about an intervention program in Marysville, where they actually confront the homeless and give them options to get help or go to jail. Well, it’s working. Why dosen’t the rest of this state follow their lead?

They must be getting big federal dollars to take care of the homeless, is the only answer that I can come up with. Why do the people who run this state think we like to see endless mounds of trash all through the woods off I 5 and the homeless panhandling everywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area