Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:48 PM

601 posts, read 1,904,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Soccer (Football) is NOT for girls
Oh Horse Pucky...... I'll play you anyday (I'm a girl)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:51 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,600,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
It's great that the eternal optimist crowd makes the best of a poor situation, but here's the reality.

Kids won't play in the rain/cold overcast weather very long. When we had the break of spring weather here this past weekend (Fri-Sat), the kids were outside 3-4 hours of the day in the backyard. On Sunday (overcast, normal weather for this time of year, mid 50s), the kids were outside for about 20-30 minutes and then wanted to come back in. They were dressed in their winter clothes but like most kids, they take off their gloves/mittens within 10 minutes and their hands get cold. Even kids realize what's going on and the fun ends pretty quickly.

A big problem with the climate (and we're only talking about climate here, not other environmentmental factors), is that it is cold and damp 9-10 months out of the year. This type of climate is perfect for disease and viruses, which excel in cool, damp environments.

Kids are meant to be outside, getting fresh air and sunshine, not trapped inside (breathing recycled air with sick children). We're members of a YMCA in the area, and granted this helps, but on your typical overcast day, when you show up, it's so crowded, you may as well be at a hospital emergency room.

I realize it's a natural response to make the best of a situation, and get defensive if others don't agree with you. But come on now, just a little reality would be appreciated.
My reality is that my son will play outdoors for an extended period of time, even when it is "cold and damp" out. Same with me when I grew up. I grew up in this weather, and it never limited my outdoor activities, except on the rainiest of days. I guess there are just certain people that are cut out for this climate, while others aren't. Weather is just one of a whole host of factors that determine if a place is "kid friendly".

Old 04-14-2008, 06:48 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,778,682 times
Wow. This turned into a discussion about the weather! How completely unexpected. I totally did not see that coming at all.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 PM

11 posts, read 64,856 times
Not that you need another two cents,

But I did grow up in Seattle, and loved it. When I moved east for college, I was genuinely surprised to find the attitude that Seattle was always rainy. It never seemed that way to me. I don't recall being stuck inside on rainy days, and I can remember more than a few 60 degree days in the *winter* (NOV, DEC, JAN, FEB) where it felt like I lived in the best place in the world.

I did live in the burbs, but not the posh ones, and most of my friends lived within the city limits. I played soccer and golf and swam, plus, I had a great time skiing in the winter. Mostly I feel that attitude is everything - Seattle is obviously not the dream location for everyone, but then, we don't often get to live exactly where we'd choose. It is a great place to raise kids, with super-nice people, and generally courteous drivers. Plus, there is so much water to make use of - even the rocky beaches are great fun for kids. If I could raise my daughter in Seattle I'd do it in a second.

I just can't complain about 50 degrees and raining, since I would LOVE for it to be 50 degrees and raining right now. I have just spent 4 months (NOV - MAR) with average temperatures around 30 degrees (CT). Try getting a 2 year old ready to go outside in that kind of cold. I feel like I'm going out of my mind indoors. While some people think of Seattle as rainy - I think of it as accessible 12 months out of the year, but then, I can definitely handle rain better than I can the cold.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I must have interpreted the other posts differently from you because I didn't hear anyone say that Seattle was a bad place for raising children. I did hear several people, including myself, express a preference for raising children (particularly toddlers and preschoolers who realistically can only tolerate museums and cultural activities in small doses), in a place that offers all the amenities you listed for Seattle plus four seasons. It's a personal preference. I love to see my children engage in active outdoor play most of the year (e.g., jumping into the Fall leaves, building a snowman, riding a trike/bike, enjoying slides and swings and playdates in the park, swimming in the pool during the summer, etc.).

ETA: Another disadvantage that I found by the Seattle weather (again a personal preference) is that SAHM with small children don't just hangout in the neighborhood and parks. It's nice to grow up in a community where you find children playing together in a cul de sac or community tot lot.
Don't let the weather get to you. I am the type of person who will be outside whether or not it rains. And the last time I checked, the rain in Seattle is of the softer variety, not like the torrential downpours common to Eastern cities like New York, Atlanta, Miami, etc, and unless there is a thunderstorm involved, I will be outside in the rain.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Don't let the weather get to you. I am the type of person who will be outside whether or not it rains.
This post wasn't originally about what an ADULT likes for weather. Because I could tolerate my life much better if I didn't have kids.

This post is about how the weather effects us as PARENTS...which is a whole different ball of wax and responsibilities that become more difficult if you don't want your child to come down with the 50th cold they've had in a year

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,091,106 times
The OP actually wasn't even interested in weather as a reason for this not to be a good place to raise kids.

It's still the cost of living for me, for the most part.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,998 times
Default I've seen 2x in this thread

that the rain and cold somehow causes kids to get sick.

That is WRONG.

Kids being kept indoors with other kids when it's wet and/or cold is what causes them to get sick, because they pass viruses around. COLD WEATHER DOES NOT MAKE YOU SICK. Unless, of course, you're severely underdressed and get hypothermia. In which case, you are a bad parent

It's yet another argument to get the correct freaking clothing on your kids and let them enjoy the outdoors regardless of the weather.

My goodness - I played soccer my entire childhood here in the WINTER, and don't recall them ever canceling games for anything other than snow, and then only because the ball doesn't roll too well in it. My daughter certainly doesn't care if it's drizzling outside - throw a hat on and head to the lake.

Parenting is hard - period. Parenting when you dislike the conditions you live in is that much harder. Solution is to either move to the 'perfect' climate or to learn to adapt. Complaining doesn't seem to do too much to change things.

Layers, goretex, et al... you get the drill.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,778,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
that the rain and cold somehow causes kids to get sick.

That is WRONG.

Kids being kept indoors with other kids when it's wet and/or cold is what causes them to get sick, because they pass viruses around. COLD WEATHER DOES NOT MAKE YOU SICK. Unless, of course, you're severely underdressed and get hypothermia. In which case, you are a bad parent
No, don't you know that viruses and bacteria thrive in cold environments? In fact, the primordial soup that original single-celled organisms arose from was actually more of a gazpacho.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:55 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times
Allergies are tough in winter because of mold and tree pollen. These make congestion from colds worse and more likely to "crud up" the kids. Many people who didn't grow up here are sensitive to the molds and pollens (the kids and I clear up whenever we go east of the mountains).

The dampness can be tough on the systems of some of us. Not everyone is suspectable but I know lots of people who crud up in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area