Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:23 PM

66 posts, read 75,788 times

Advertisements

Love Whidbey Island. Its got some cool open fields, beautiful forests, and Deception Point is a killer view. Sequim is another favorite. Duvall is really nice to walk around Cherry Valley and get a lavender latte from C. C. Espresso & Ice Creamery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
My house.
Amen. I love my place, too, nice and cozy home office and always something to do in the yard, in-season, or to fix when weather is intolerable the other seven months.

Otherwise, my answers are: 1) get on a plane to a West Coast city. LA, San Francisco, Phoenix, and San Diego are really easy hops. 2) Take a train, fly, or drive to Vancouver. I think it's a toss-up. In fact I don't think I've taken that train, but can be arranged as an interesting day trip. 3) Driving? Hwy 2 over the Hwy 97, north into BC then ease your way west. Cross back in at Sumas, if timed correctly. Border is often messed up but oh well.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I'm not telling. Why would I allow one of the most beautiful things around be spoiled?
I had a similar answer when someone was asking about BC.

I have a favourite place in Washington State..well two, but I'd never share them since one of the things that makes them great is the lack of fame. Nice spots, with mainly locals.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
It’s hard to pick a favorite, there’s just so much around here.

Close getaways (day trips):

Bainbridge Island
Woodinville
Tacoma
Kingston
Snoqualmie
Bellingham Area

Moderately close getaways (1-2 nights)
Leavenworth
San Juans
Cape Flattery
Hoh Rainforest
Portland
Vancouver BC

Longer getaways (long weekend+)
Astoria OR
Victoria BC
WA wine country
Couer D’Alene ID

I know I’m leaving out a LOT but these are just my first thoughts.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:38 PM

71 posts, read 71,756 times
Hawaii, does that count?

But Suncadia, Friday Harbor, Bainbridge Island (Mora Ice Cream), Hurricane Ridge, Kalaloch, Sun Mountain Lodge, Leavenworth, Chelan, Cannon Beach.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:37 AM

233 posts, read 305,862 times
I love Whidbey Island, B.C. , Victoria, Suquamish, sp? The one near Whistler..Lake Chelan, Sequim, Bainbridge Island, Port Townsend, Fairhaven near Bellingham, Seabrook, Cannon Beach and even (gasp) California. Oh and Idaho! Lol so much to see here. I haven’t exhausted the list

Old 05-23-2019, 09:59 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Hiking in the Alpine Lakes region. So close, yet so very far from the urban scene.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:10 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,990,451 times
the fast ferry (Clipper) to quaint little Victoria, BC.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:39 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Amen. I love my place, too, nice and cozy home office and always something to do in the yard, in-season, or to fix when weather is intolerable the other seven months.

Otherwise, my answers are: 1) get on a plane to a West Coast city. LA, San Francisco, Phoenix, and San Diego are really easy hops. 2) Take a train, fly, or drive to Vancouver. I think it's a toss-up. In fact I don't think I've taken that train, but can be arranged as an interesting day trip. 3) Driving? Hwy 2 over the Hwy 97, north into BC then ease your way west. Cross back in at Sumas, if timed correctly. Border is often messed up but oh well.
I agree with your suggestions and definitely recommend taking the train. I don't know if you've taken the Cascades route southbound, but they use significantly nicer equipment than normal AMTRAK lines. Northbound, beyond Mt. Vernon the scenery is gorgeous, especially as it hugs the coast through the Chuckanut Mountains.

Seattle day trippers could easily make a day (or overnight) in Bellingham, where a car wouldn't be required to have a good time and see local sights.

For the city fix in Vancouver; same thing. The terminus is Pacific Central Station in Chinatown/downtown. You can easily walk, bikeshare, water taxi, or take other forms of transit to get to where you want to go around the city (or a bus to places like Squamish or Whistler if you have an extra day or two...). Oh, and unlike driving or flying, customs is a relative breeze!

Old 05-23-2019, 04:42 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Just got back from spending two days in Vancouver BC. Granville Island is always great with all of its food choices, buskers, farmers, craftspeople, water taxis. Kayaks on the Inner Harbor are available, though I didn't do it this time. I also went up to NE Vancouver and had a super couple hour hike from the Lynn Valley Headlands down to the crystal blue Lynn Canyon cliffs and pools. Went into Chinatown and spent a couple hours at the excellent Dr Sun Yat-Sen authentic Chinese garden, then capped it off with some tasty Sri Lankan food (there is none in Seattle) at a little spot i just found nearby. The next day I spent some time on the beach at Kitsalano Beach, really nice spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area