Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 02:50 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times

Advertisements

What do you consider rural? To get to a true rural area, the commute is long. If you want somewhat rural/suburban, like exurbs with some forests and farmettes interspersed with subdivisions, you will have more choices. If you just want a big treed lot, then even more choices. Islands and the Kitsap Penninsula will have the closest true rural areas (ferry commute, like others posted). Most formerly rural areas easily commutable around Seattle are exurban now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 08:07 AM

731 posts, read 936,040 times
Just be aware that the ferry commute has extra time on it. It's not just the time of the ferry crossing. You need to get to the ferry and be there early enough to get on. If you need to park (or drive on - that's an even longer wait), then you need to factor in those expenses.

The ferry commute can be kind of nice and relaxing, but it can also really wear on you. I lived a mile from the ferry in Bremerton and worked in South Lake Union and did the commute for 1.5 years. Some days I spent 4 hours commuting. I'm not saying not to do it, but I highly recommend renting first to try it out. Also, if you can manage a 4 day work week, that saved me. One of my coworkers did it by bike and I would say 6 months in, he was over it.

Best ferry commute by far would be from Bainbridge.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:49 PM

13 posts, read 5,108 times
Sequim is known as the lavender of North America. It's a really good place and there still lots of offer here.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:05 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kteer504 View Post
My husband recently got an offer for a position in Seattle. We currently live in Memphis so it will literally be a halfway across the country move if he accepts. We will be there soon to look around and for him to tour the facilities. We have a son who, next year, will be starting the second grade. We are looking for safe areas, that are outside of the city with a good school district. Could anyone be so kind as to point us in the right direction? Thanks in advance!!
Where in Seattle? If not Downtown, it can make a big difference.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,880 times
Best I can tell it's in the "Industrial District" We fly out Thursday to come and visit for the first time to see if this will be a good fit for us.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:41 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Sodo? Marginal Way/Airport Way?

Probably forget about north of Seattle. Maybe look at east Kent/Auburn, Covington/Maple Valley.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:10 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Note Paine Field in Everett has commercial flights and is WAY easier than Seattle SEATAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area