Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 02:30 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times

Advertisements

I'd be in favor of more steps on the ladder, rather than starting out at step-one at $2,000 and step-two at license forfeiture. For instance: 1) $500; 2) $1,000, license suspension, education classes; 3) $2,000, license forfeiture, cell-phone addiction therapy; 4+) $5,000-$10,000, vehicle seizure, jail-time. $500 would still be a significant hit for a low-income driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 02:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 942,266 times
I don't think the issue is more fines, it's that it's not enforced all that well. I see people looking at their phones every time I'm driving but without a drastic increase in cops how does it get enforced?

Old 02-06-2020, 03:00 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I'd be in favor of more steps on the ladder, rather than starting out at step-one at $2,000 and step-two at license forfeiture. For instance: 1) $500; 2) $1,000, license suspension, education classes; 3) $2,000, license forfeiture, cell-phone addiction therapy; 4+) $5,000-$10,000, vehicle seizure, jail-time. $500 would still be a significant hit for a low-income driver.
I don't think so, I think the first offense needs to really hurt, and people need to know (through advertising/marketing) how much it will hurt. There needs too be fear in the air about it, awareness of the fines and graphic photos about what can happen in an accident. That first offense could kill someone.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:01 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
Take away their texting privileges for a year. They'll melt like butter in the desert.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:40 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I don't think so, I think the first offense needs to really hurt, and people need to know (through advertising/marketing) how much it will hurt. There needs too be fear in the air about it, awareness of the fines and graphic photos about what can happen in an accident. That first offense could kill someone.
$2,000 is still too high for a first offense for illegal use of a cell-phone, talking or texting - maybe make texting and negligent driving aggravating factors that would double or triple the fine.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:59 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
The loss of license would be second offense. I know we’ve discussed this before. I drive a lot with my work, every day I see drivers texting at 70 MPH on the freeway, saw a guy swerve this morning and almost kill himself. Our laws (and I know it would be statewide) have to have some real teeth, the money from the fines would go into high visibility (anti texting while driving) ad campaigns with brutal warnings about the fines, photos of horrible wrecks.

I’m sick of this crap, puts my life in danger. Who (legislatively) would vote against this idea? In my fury, (I’m not joking), the other day I registered the URL (StopCarTexting.com). Thoughts about my penalty ideas or what I could do with the URL? A friend who understand devices told me that it would be possible to have phones lock up (with the exception of nav and incoming calls) if the speed a device is traveling exceeds a certain speed, say 10MPH. Is this true?
Did you get his license number, and report it? That's how to deal with cr@p you're sick of. You'd be doing everyone else a favor. Are you allowed to phone and drive? If so, you could have called police to report a hazard on the road, even if you didn't get his license. You could provide the car description, direction of travel, etc.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:14 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
Do it. And for other types of distracted driving.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you get his license number, and report it? That's how to deal with cr@p you're sick of. You'd be doing everyone else a favor. Are you allowed to phone and drive? If so, you could have called police to report a hazard on the road, even if you didn't get his license. You could provide the car description, direction of travel, etc.

What exactly do you think that would accomplish? The police cannot write tickets based on civilian reports.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:52 PM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times
Funny that you bring this up. Last night on my way home and on a surface side road, that wasn't too busy, some guy rear-ended the car in front of him pretty hard... Turning the car sideways and the guy, who was still holding his phone, crashed into empty trash cans on a sidewalk. Since it was raining, nobody was walking on that sideway, which was a blessing.

I was right behind him when he crashed and as I was passing him... Looking at him to make sure he was OK, as well as the victim, you could see the lights on his phone as he was still clutching onto his steering wheel. I could be wrong, but I would bet he was most likely texting when he crashed into the other guy's car since he wasn't paying attention to his speed and traffic, in heavy rain.

Something needs to be done and done soon. "I" think that the first offense should be $1K for the first offense, $2Ks for the second offense and so on.

This means everybody, to include the homeless, they have those free phones, and the illegal alien drivers, many without license and insurance, which is another issue. If this law is ignored by local cities, like Seattle, and turns more into another King County's "selective enforcement," since the homeless do not have money and the political fear that illegals could be put on radar for deportation, I say forget it.

I'm tired of the two-tier King County justice system.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:45 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
I can't really argue with the dangers caused by texting drivers.

Just wondering if the law would apply to cops on their phones too?
I see a lot of police driving distracted. They are willing users of tech too. They can’t use the excuse of it is “part of their job”. It is just as dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area