Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 08:51 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,367,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow, that's a lot of money for tiny micro-studios! but the OP said all he needed was a place to sleep and a shower. Some of those actually look kinda nice...

This one in West Seattle near shopping, etc. has nearly 200 sq. feet for the same price as the other ones at 150 sq. feet.https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...90041759_zpid/
Two had 350sf:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N...81019147_zpid/ ($850, 350sf)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...90041759_zpid/ ($850, 350sf)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 09:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I would tell you to rent a place south of Seattle, such as Tacoma/Puyallup but the rental rates are getting right up there with Seattle.

I commuted three hours a day for 12 years. Glad to be retired...that commute simply shredded my soul.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
That first one is nice and big (for the $$), but the walls look very thin. Exterior walls look too thin to have insulation. Some of these buildings were probably thrown up hastily to meet demand, while skimping on quality. Just saying.

The 2nd one says it overlooks "The Ave" (University Way) in the U District. While that may be convenient for UW students, the Ave long ago degenerated into a vortex of homelessness, and is especially dicey at night. I wouldn't recommend that for the OP.

Still, it looks like there are plenty of choices within the OP's budget. Good work! I hope this helps the OP.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
That first one is nice and big (for the $$), but the walls look very thin. Exterior walls look too thin to have insulation. Some of these buildings were probably thrown up hastily to meet demand, while skimping on quality. Just saying.

The 2nd one says it overlooks "The Ave" (University Way) in the U District. While that may be convenient for UW students, the Ave long ago degenerated into a vortex of homelessness, and is especially dicey at night. I wouldn't recommend that for the OP.

Still, it looks like there are plenty of choices within the OP's budget. Good work! I hope this helps the OP.
How can you tell how thick the exterior walls are? Many of these new apartment buildings are "stick-built'. For an interesting read, see:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-look-the-same

On the place overlooking "the Ave", the homeless situation isn't as bad as you're painting it, or at least no worse than many other places in North Seattle these days. Above 52nd is a lot more sedate than below 50th. I suspect even the "Ave Rats" are being priced out.

Note, however: "Cute Studio on the top floor Available for Mid November move in date! Hurry these don't last long!" It's mid February! Still, might be worth checking if they have a unit currently available. That's the building my old property manager was located in over ten years ago.

Tons of transit options. Downtown, Green Lake, Magnuson Park. Will be walking distance to the new U District Station when it opens in 2021.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:37 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Quote:
Note, however: "Cute Studio on the top floor Available for Mid November move in date! Hurry these don't last long!" It's mid February! Still, might be worth checking if they have a unit currently available. That's the building my old property manager was located in over ten years ago.

Tons of transit options. Downtown, Green Lake, Magnuson Park. Will be walking distance to the new U District Station when it opens in 2021.
Yep, we like to go see Jet City Improv at the Historic University Theatre at 50th & 'The Ave', and that part of the Ave is a lot quieter. I have a friend who used to live a block away in a similar building, also top floor, and had no problems with excessive noise or crime. Yes, it requires situational awareness, but it's not bad. Plenty of students in that area out walking around in the evening. Lots of cheap eats, great transit, and practical neighborhood amenities. Would actually be a decent car-free location.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:39 PM

464 posts, read 286,885 times
I lived at the Alps Hotel in the International District for a few months, it's cheap, but very run down and has roaches, but if one sprays you can keep them at bay.

I don't actually recommend it, but it is downtown and about the cheapest thing around, just injecting another option.

It was years ago, but I paid $260 a month, I bet it's still well within your budget.

There are also other cheap abodes in that area like the Panama Hotel which is just a bit nicer, but costs a bit more too.

Good luck in your quest OP, I had a hard time finding something I could afford when I got to town 30 years ago too.

Probably your best bet is shared housing if you can do it.

Thx

Old 02-20-2020, 09:04 PM

ID:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...073490911.html ($675)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/a...068225276.html ($725)

Old 02-20-2020, 09:23 PM

464 posts, read 286,885 times

Those look nice, and there is a quiet, out of the way neighborhood south of Jackson.

Great restaurants in that area too! Also the Uwajimaya shopping center is right there.

Even though The Alps wasn't so nice, I did enjoy myself there in the ID and remember it fondly.

Thx

Old 02-20-2020, 10:02 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
How can you tell how thick the exterior walls are? Many of these new apartment buildings are "stick-built'. For an interesting read, see:
Look at the photo of that one I commented on. Look through the front window from the inside; you can see that the wall is barely thicker than the window casing.

I stay at the University Motel on 50th, a block from the Ave, on occasion, when I visit Seattle. I always hear screaming (male voices) outside just south of there, from the alleys and from around the Ave. A roommate of mine got mugged at the Safeway down the street from there, when she walked over there late at night from a few blocks north and west of there. University students sometimes get followed by homeless people when they get off the bus and walk onto campus. They don't feel safe.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Look at the photo of that one I commented on. Look through the front window from the inside; you can see that the wall is barely thicker than the window casing.

I stay at the University Motel on 50th, a block from the Ave, on occasion, when I visit Seattle. I always hear screaming (male voices) outside just south of there, from the alleys and from around the Ave. A roommate of mine got mugged at the Safeway down the street from there, when she walked over there late at night from a few blocks north and west of there. University students sometimes get followed by homeless people when they get off the bus and walk onto campus. They don't feel safe.
And Little Red Riding Hood decided to go to the supermarket, where her grandmother worked as a bagger, on a late moonless night, at the hour of the wolf, to get a bag of Doritos...

To get there, however, she had to cross the dark, dank, pissy-smelling alley where "wolves" hide, huffing and puffing, poised to pounce and devour the first little piggy that comes wandering by (because that's what wolves do). (Intro to the chainsaw commercial.)

If I were a mugger looking for a nice juicy muggee, that's where I'd go too...

Be smart about it, in other words...

Yes, if I were a 5'3" gal, I probably wouldn't want to live there either, or at least go out late at night (or wander "off the Ave"), unless in a pack (of wolfettes). I'm a 6'2" guy, however, weighing close to 200 lbs, with a deadpan "make my day" stare, and, as far as we know, the OP might be too. For him, having more room to man-spread, for el cheapo rent, close to all the action, might be a very desirable attribute. We already know he's a guy, since he said he only needs a bed and a shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area