Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 03:10 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,385 times

Advertisements

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/artic...d-15071414.php

Quote:
Seattle ranked No. 1 on the list for having the highest price-to-rent ratio among large cities with populations of over 350,000. Seattle has a price-to-rent ratio -- which indicates the "relative affordability of buying compared to renting" -- of 27.5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 03:21 PM

301 posts, read 312,698 times
My wife and I have been going back and forth about rent vs buy over the last couple years and with the current prices of both we just can't justify buying. No matter how I run the numbers on this, it makes sense to buy only if you are betting that Seattle will become the next Manhattan in the future (which is not impossible of course).

Old 02-22-2020, 12:20 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
My wife and I have been going back and forth about rent vs buy over the last couple years and with the current prices of both we just can't justify buying. No matter how I run the numbers on this, it makes sense to buy only if you are betting that Seattle will become the next Manhattan in the future (which is not impossible of course).
It can make sense to buy, if you get a place with a potential rental unit of some sort. Then you get free equity, courtesy of your renters. Still, the way RE values are increasing by leaps and bounds, you can eventually end up taxed out of your home. But you'd still have that rental unit to mitigate that, so...it could be doable. Just saying.

That's the only way I'd ever buy, anywhere. It's kind of a safety net, a hedge against runaway costs, runaway taxes, whatever.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:35 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Certainly seems less expensive

Old 02-24-2020, 03:34 PM

806 posts, read 604,501 times
Going to be interesting to see what happens when a real bear market hits tech stocks. There has to be headcount bloat out there. We are still a good year out from that assuming what is happening now is just temporary, but I will have the popcorn ready.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
If you can rent monthly for less than 1% of price of home... Rent and go buy a property somewhere else that you can rent out for for 1%, use your positive cash flows to cover your rents wherever you live... Seattle, Osaka, Sydney, Stockholm, San Diego, San Juan...

Old 02-24-2020, 09:08 PM

I explored both of these options - both buying house here and renting out some part of it or buying house/condo in a different market and renting out the whole thing. After reading, crunching numbers, as well as fishing out a few people who did this, I didn't come up with very promising results. The tl;dr version is that you either take on landlord duties: fixing stuff, dealing with reduced privacy, finding new people once they move it, cleaning up once they move it, dealing with occasional legal issues, etc. etc.. Or you hire a company to do it and barely break even. I came to conclusion that it's essentially a flavor of "buying fixer upper" - sounds great in theory but in practice, if you were to boil it down to fundamentals, it's essentially like getting yourself a second job but with a lot of extra steps.

These all are pretty smart and good options if "owning a house" is the end goal of itself and you just want to do it for the sake of it. Or if you are seriously into fixing things or landlording. But purely money-wise, I wasn't able to find it as a screaming good deal, unless I am seriously missing something. Yes, renting is expensive but as far as I can tell - I am pretty much getting the value I am paying for right now.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Going to be interesting to see what happens when a real bear market hits tech stocks. There has to be headcount bloat out there. We are still a good year out from that assuming what is happening now is just temporary, but I will have the popcorn ready.
That would be a very very interesting scenario. It really depends on a lot of things - how much people are overstretched, whether this bear market will happen at all, etc.. But if it does happen and if tech people are overly optimistic about their RSUs and job security, there is definitely a potential for a disaster here.

My personal take on it is that if experiences like this are representative (who knows, maybe it's an outlier), I'd call it extremely extremely overstretched.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57323616-post21.html
Having $500k of liquidity and tossing it to buy a 1.45mil house leaves me with a question of what the plan is going to be if stocks plummet and/or one or two people lose the job.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:04 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Expedia is laying off

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/expedi...ail-employees/

This is rare news to me, I have not heard of a tech layoff for years in the Seattle area.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:16 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
^probably about concerns of the ncoronavirus affect on travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area