Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:36 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times

Advertisements

Article link here. https://crosscut.com/2020/06/short-v...ests-and-riots

"We might call Seattle the Emerald City, but the green landscape of the Puget Sound region has been sprayed with blood, shattered glass and tear gas for well over a century. Political protest and civil unrest centered on racism, labor, civil rights, and war and peace have not been uncommon. For the most part, these protests are nonviolent, but sometimes they have featured rioting, police brutality, vandalism, media bashing, shaming and blaming, and death.

What follows is a nonexhaustive review of some of our region’s experience with violent protests or clashes. Some have arguably yielded positive results, while others reflect tragedy, human cruelty and senseless destruction. Many of society’s faults and fault lines featured here remain intact. The violence gets attention, and today it is being exposed, broadcast and tweeted as never before. The smartphone is now an essential part of protest documentation. The historical record is another window that can provide context and background for what we are seeing today".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 12:15 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Very true, and important point. Seattle may be "chill" today, but it has a very rough and unsettling history.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:20 PM

1,348 posts, read 708,041 times
pathetic history

Old 06-08-2020, 10:47 PM

Here is another article about this subject...

https://mynorthwest.com/1919707/hist...nrest-seattle/

Old 06-09-2020, 12:01 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
pathetic history
That’s a little simplistic, dav51lin. Besides being instrumental in the strengthening of the labor movement (you know, the inventors of the weekend), here are a number of inventions/innovations that have come from Seattle in its relatively short history. https://www.seattlemag.com/50-things-seattle-gave-world

Old 06-09-2020, 09:23 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
pathetic history

That's a bit "we'll never make it" dav51lin. There's this airplane manufacturer named Boeing that falls in to the category homes explains above as "inventions/innovations" that started in Seattle that have made huge technological/manufacturing contributions. I put 20 years in at the Everett-Boeing plant and I remain impressed by my first full time employer. Don't cut down Seattle constantly - unless you really hate it and everything it stands for, dav51lin.

I'm from there and I know it's got it's problems - and it has had a lot of strife in civil rights and also in labor strife. Throw Everett in there with the union/labor strife as well. The union I was in at Boeing - SPEEA - we struck Boeing in the fall of 1999 and the strike lasted 48 days. It was at that time the longest white-collar strike against a company in the history of the U.S. Funny thing is - I closely examined each offer - the one before the strike that was voted down and the one Boeing came up with to lure us all back - and the first one was just as good as the 2nd offer! The union was so hell-bent on striking "just to see what kind of mayhem we could stir up" - elkotronics came up with that explanation of why we struck - but they were so hell-bent on striking - the union hardcores would organize rallies inside the 40-87 and 40-88 buildings - and they could yell with the best of 'em - certainly an unforgetable time in my work history.

Meanwhile, Boeing upper managers were busy getting layoff notices ready and I and 18 others in my work group of 21 people were laid off in the spring of 2003. I fully vested towards my Boeing retirement, thankfully, allowing a better life for Mrs. elkotronics and I. Plus, Boeing lobbied the Federal Gub-Mint to train those of us if we wanted to learn a brand new skill after our Boeing career. I chose a career in healthcare and Boeing and The Trade Act fully paid for the books and tuition for my Associate's Degree in Respiratory Therapy. What's more - The Trade Act paid for weekly $456 State of Washington Unemployment Insurance direct deposits into our bank account while I was studying in school. For a year and a half! Wow! I'd say that I was taken care of well. That's why we went to an oakie town in mid-Missouri for me to go to school. Cheaper rent! Western Washington would've shaved our skin off fully! So, off to the 2nd career I went and now I'm baking in the southern New Mexico sun, still enjoying my healthcare career.

Kudos to Boeing!

Last edited by elkotronics; 06-09-2020 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 08:12 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
It's a shame what these savages are doing to our downtown.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's a shame what these savages are doing to our downtown.
And Capitol Hill. Very disturbing what is happening to my hometown.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...a-9c21be5afb18

I'm tired of the city doing relatively nothing about all this crap. Move in now! (And I am generally a pacifist).

Old 06-11-2020, 06:20 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Not living there, I had no idea your lovely city was experiencing such chaos. In the news tonight, you now have a little cluster in downtown called Chaz (?) Not sure of the spelling. Sorry. I hope you're able to take back your city soon. If you don't, this type of thing will migrate throughout the entire U.S. and that's not something I want to see. Good luck to all of you

Old 06-11-2020, 08:13 PM

301 posts, read 164,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Not living there, I had no idea your lovely city was experiencing such chaos. In the news tonight, you now have a little cluster in downtown called Chaz (?) Not sure of the spelling. Sorry. I hope you're able to take back your city soon. If you don't, this type of thing will migrate throughout the entire U.S. and that's not something I want to see. Good luck to all of you
Just found this article:

After days of protests following the death of George Floyd, Seattle police left the boarded-up East Precinct building Monday night as a crowd of anti-police protesters set up barricades in the surrounding area, declaring six blocks in the city's Capitol Hill neighborhood to be “autonomous” and a “cop-free zone.”

The president also described Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan's handling of the situation as "pathetic," and asked "Has she ever done this before?" He also called on Washington Gov. Jay Inslee to send in National Guard troops to restore order.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-...aighten-it-out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area