Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 12:03 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times

Advertisements

I can see another aspect of COVID that we just don't want to take seriously, the long term residual effect on our lungs and other organs. Right from the beginning of this viral threat and the subsequent TV appearances of Dr's Fauci and Birx, the emphasis has been the fact that youth are at less risk than the elderly. Ergo, the press relays that info as a kind of pass for the youth--Spring break here I come.

RNA viruses do mutate and most often turn into weaker strains, but the infectious aspects of COVID have increased, and we don't know the long term effects, so, young or old, we're all at risk of death and the possibility of long term problems from COVID infections. There is some terrible irony in the fact that most of those who aren't taking precautions are those who are the most vociferous advocates of the "open er up mentality.

Medical ignorance is to be expected as an American norm when considering the woeful lack of health awareness on the part of most Americans. The huge numbers of obese people, the huge rise in Diabetes, heart trouble, Cancer, and still we eat the very foods that encourage poor heath, breathe poor quality air, and ignore the signs that we may be ill--- so are we the kind of people who take the long term effects of our actions seriously? No, we aren't and that's why we will suffer more than those who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 01:12 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I can see another aspect of COVID that we just don't want to take seriously, the long term residual effect on our lungs and other organs. Right from the beginning of this viral threat and the subsequent TV appearances of Dr's Fauci and Birx, the emphasis has been the fact that youth are at less risk than the elderly. Ergo, the press relays that info as a kind of pass for the youth--Spring break here I come.

RNA viruses do mutate and most often turn into weaker strains, but the infectious aspects of COVID have increased, and we don't know the long term effects, so, young or old, we're all at risk of death and the possibility of long term problems from COVID infections. There is some terrible irony in the fact that most of those who aren't taking precautions are those who are the most vociferous advocates of the "open er up mentality.

Medical ignorance is to be expected as an American norm when considering the woeful lack of health awareness on the part of most Americans. The huge numbers of obese people, the huge rise in Diabetes, heart trouble, Cancer, and still we eat the very foods that encourage poor heath, breathe poor quality air, and ignore the signs that we may be ill--- so are we the kind of people who take the long term effects of our actions seriously? No, we aren't and that's why we will suffer more than those who do.
Nearly all adults know the risks associated with lifestyle diseases and have watched friends, family and associates die of the related diseases yet they remain apathetic to adopting healthier behaviors for a variety of reasons (cultural and economic).

Similarly, I live in an educated and affluent neighborhood and my son, his friends and his friends' siblings are all aware of the virus and the stats of hospitalizations and death.. I believe they know they're young and at far less risk than people my age or older so they really don't care. Can't blame them... If I didn't have responsibilities such as to worry about their future I would probably go out and have a little more fun too (and I'm also speaking generally... we keep a high savings rate for our kids' future).

I wouldn't say they're "open er up" as they don't really quite grasp what all is closed (at least not my 13 year old)... but they're definitely enjoying as much freedom as they can get...

What is NOT being reported are the number of domestic and child abuse cases. The increase in mental health and suicide rates. The increase in poverty.

I can tell you that my 16 year old is struggling in a way that we've not seen before, including suicide ideation. It's exhausting keeping his spirits up... he's just so lonely, isolated and idle now that school is out and he's lost his routines, including the socialization that happens during the school day.

I can only imagine how far worse this has been for the individuals that have a history of depression and anxiety and/or for families that don't have social, intellectual or financial resources. We have been able to buy distractions like small trips and treats and can easily afford for me to stay home, to make our daily life comfortable and pleasant and work to ease my son's sadness.

But don't think just because it's being underreported that it's not happening. And it matters as much as the 65 year olds dying from the disease.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:32 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Article link here. https://news.yahoo.com/king-county-c...191619080.html

MASK UP! MASK UP!

"King County has seen a surge in new coronavirus cases since it entered Phase 2 of governor's Safe Start plan and began reopening many nonessential businesses, jumping from average of 40 cases a day to more than 130.

Friday, health officials confirmed the new cases have been overwhelmingly in young adults and shared a warning: take this virus seriously before the situation spirals out of control.

According to Public Health - Seattle & King County, latest batch of coronavirus cases can be broken down as:

1/3 were in patients aged 20-29

1/2 were in patients aged 20-39

3/4 of all cases are in patients under 40

That so many cases are in younger residents is a double-edged sword: younger adults are less likely to be hospitalized/die from the virus, but also more mobile and could spread the virus to vulnerable populations".
Nobody under 40 is likely to have any symptoms requiring medical treatment since it is proven now to be no more dangerous than a common influenza strain. Ignore the brainwashing and throw the face diaper away, which is actually not very healthy to be wearing at all.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

Similarly, I live in an educated and affluent neighborhood...
I can picture it. A lot of brainwashed liberal idiots addicted to virtue signalling who think Amazon is just great. Cookie cutter people.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:09 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I can picture it. A lot of brainwashed liberal idiots addicted to virtue signalling who think Amazon is just great. Cookie cutter people.
There are a lot of conservatives that live here and even more people that just want to live their lives without political drama.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:21 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Nobody under 40 is likely to have any symptoms requiring medical treatment since it is proven now to be no more dangerous than a common influenza strain. Ignore the brainwashing and throw the face diaper away, which is actually not very healthy to be wearing at all.
Tell that to the people in Georgia.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...hing-like-this

Quote:
Most alarming, the health care worker said, the hospital no longer sees elderly patients in droves like it did in the spring. The patients of late have tended to be in the prime of their lives; one was under the age of 10, the health care worker said.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:20 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I can see another aspect of COVID that we just don't want to take seriously, the long term residual effect on our lungs and other organs.
Yes, this is exactly why I wouldn't be casual about not social distancing, masking-up, washing my hands and avoiding many public places.

We're only 6-7 months into this. We do not know much about the long term effects - but what we do know now, is that some of the infected will have neurological, organ, lung, and heart problems from it.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:32 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Wow, just wow.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:42 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Wow, just wow.

exactly and we wonder why it keeps getting worse inslee needs to shut things back downit seems

Old 07-17-2020, 05:44 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Yes, this is exactly why I wouldn't be casual about not social distancing, masking-up, washing my hands and avoiding many public places.

We're only 6-7 months into this. We do not know much about the long term effects - but what we do know now, is that some of the infected will have neurological, organ, lung, and heart problems from it.
may be time for inslee to shut things back down people are not following advice being careless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area