Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 12:42 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,137,770 times

Advertisements

I didn’t know much about Chief Best, but read this today and now have a lot of respect for her. It’s troubling to realize mob rule is increasing everywhere and it’s a slippery slope. It’s not only cops and politicians houses, if the mob doesn’t like what a teacher or business owner says, there is nothing stopping them from going to that person’s house. Where does that leave the rest of us?

Anyway, life isn’t fair and letting people at the back of the line to the front isn’t going to fix anything. Taking away rights of citizens who played by the rules, in favor of people who never made much of an effort to improve their lives, for political gain, is wrong.

The city council is pandering while Chief Best thinks in terms of common sense. I only hope the city council listens to her.

https://komonews.com/news/local/best...visit-her-home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 02:21 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,678,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I didn’t know much about Chief Best, but read this today and now have a lot of respect for her. It’s troubling to realize mob rule is increasing everywhere and it’s a slippery slope. It’s not only cops and politicians houses, if the mob doesn’t like what a teacher or business owner says, there is nothing stopping them from going to that person’s house. Where does that leave the rest of us?
Free to visit each other's houses? From what I heard, a group of protesters tried to protest in front of her house and were turned away, so they left. I know it's not quite as exciting as thinking they were going to lynch her or wreck her house, but reality is often far more boring. It's not really mob rule when you can tell the mob to leave and then they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Anyway, life isn’t fair and letting people at the back of the line to the front isn’t going to fix anything. Taking away rights of citizens who played by the rules, in favor of people who never made much of an effort to improve their lives, for political gain, is wrong.
Who are you talking about here? Whose rights are being taken away? "Life is unfair, stop trying to make it unfair in a different way"?

What I want to see is Best actually come up with new rules for accountability rather than just talking about a reduced budget. I know she has a difficult job and is in a difficult position, but people want consequences for police misdeeds rather than biased investigations. That would go far further than anything else.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:22 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,742,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Free to visit each other's houses? From what I heard, a group of protesters tried to protest in front of her house and were turned away, so they left. I know it's not quite as exciting as thinking they were going to lynch her or wreck her house, but reality is often far more boring. It's not really mob rule when you can tell the mob to leave and then they do.

Who are you talking about here? Whose rights are being taken away? "Life is unfair, stop trying to make it unfair in a different way"?

What I want to see is Best actually come up with new rules for accountability rather than just talking about a reduced budget. I know she has a difficult job and is in a difficult position, but people want consequences for police misdeeds rather than biased investigations. That would go far further than anything else.
The blindness to the slippery slope at a minimum would make Mr. Magoo proud

Old 08-03-2020, 03:15 PM

439 posts, read 424,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post

The protesters were sent packing by the neighborhood Loving seeing all the 2nd amendment and law and order supporters up in SnoHo.

Y'all can keep your Mostly Peaceful Dropouts and Drug Addicts , erm, I mean Antifa in Seattle lol

Old 08-03-2020, 09:06 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,071,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Reminds me of Cape Town, South Africa. Ever been there? I have a lifetime goal to see it, and had a chance to spend months there some years ago, I made it happen through a backstory not relevant to-current. It could be said I know plenty about how ex-pat's live in Western Cape (province).

I could remark on many differences, and similarities, to America (more like Britain). It's a mish-mash of British and northern European cultures, with more than a smattering of Zulu and Xhosa, too. Americans can get around just fine, if you pay attention to social norms, the do's and don'ts. These are extra-important there, as I believe the stats say Cape Town is an especially "dangerous" place. Well, sure it is: if you're not culturally and socially aware, and go where you shouldn't and when you shouldn't. There are very few tourists/rich foreigners who get offed unless they're doing something they shouldn't. So, I just didn't do those things or go those places. Never had so much as a bad moment that way.

Most-relevant to-current: heavily armed security is big business in Cape Town, probably in the rest of SA. I mean men with Kalashnikovs, high fences with thick bars and concertina wire. Home invasion robberies are loud and violent in SA, people often get killed, so responsible citizens arm-up. The police can be useful but are more useless than-not same as rest of the world: no one is quite sure whose side they're on; I always said: 'they're on the same side as most police world-wide: their own!"

One possibility...we're speculating here...is a balkanization within city of Seattle. If police are "neutralized" / suppressed, punks and gangsters will initially have a field day of murder. There will be a bloodbath among the criminals. One or two will arise as warlords, organized crime or otherwise. Organized crime tends to wipe out petty thieves and lone operators; they're bad for business. Business will be shakedowns, hookers, drugs, other vice which will really take off. Business can be 'safe', but will be taxed by gangsters heavily.

Those who can provide serious security...and plenty of it...within the law may have a real business opportunity. Insurance could be a problem, though. In SA, they don't have to worry about that so much. I don't know what happens if others are caught in the defensive crossfire in SA; it never came up around me.
Never been to South Africa, but I made it to Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Cape Verda and Egypt... Would love to visit South Africa someday soon!!

Old 08-03-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
The protesters were sent packing by the neighborhood Loving seeing all the 2nd amendment and law and order supporters up in SnoHo.

Y'all can keep your Mostly Peaceful Dropouts and Drug Addicts , erm, I mean Antifa in Seattle lol
I feel that Sawant and her cohorts, Antifa, Anarchist and Communists have over played their hand with the people of Seattle, the responsible people of Seattle, who now are getting tired of these gangster Stalinist/Maoist tactics.

I wasn’t a supporter of Chief Best, but she is slowly winning me and others over. I’m glad that Chief Best’s neighbors stood their ground to support a fellow community member and more important, a fellow human being. I don’t know if her neighbors took up arms, in a peaceful matter, to deter this mob... A mob, not a peaceful demonstration, that descended into THEIR neighborhood with unclear motives.

This criminal and terroristic tactics need to stop. Any elected city officials or city employees should be fired immediately if they are involved in anyway, to included providing information, moral or financial support, directly or indirectly.

Regardless of what people might think about these mobs and their attempts to intimidate any politicians or civil servants is simply wrong... It doesn’t matter if it comes from the Left or Right. Wrong is wrong.

I don’t live in Seattle, but I live in King County and Seattle dictates basically everything in this county, so what happens there affects me. The craziness in Seattle is trying its best to infect the rest of the metro area. I gage my own assessments from my conversations with family members, who still live in Seattle and most of them are very liberal. They’re now tired of the chaos and how defunding the police will effect them with the spike in violent crime throughout the city. Heck, I even gave my ex-wife a days worth of firearms training and selected the right Glock 9mm pistol for her to purchase... Cuz she was hellbent on buying a gun for protection since she works in the downtown area. I just hope that all the first time firearms purchasers in the Seattle area will seek out some form of professional firearms training.

I hope that Chief Best words are heard by the city clowncil and Sawant. More important, I hope the voters in Seattle are listening to her words as well. Again, Chief Best is slowly winning me over and “I” hope that she runs for the position of Mayor of Seattle.

Last edited by bergun; 08-03-2020 at 10:45 PM..

Old 08-03-2020, 11:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,908,556 times
Communism, Marxism, whatever you want to call it will be defeated. Most residents of Seattle are sane. However, we need to get rid of the district by district city council. All positions should be voted on by all residents, IMO. Guess what? Not everyone in the city is a far leftist. In fact, not even a simple majority are.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-04-2020 at 12:33 AM..

Old 08-04-2020, 12:11 AM

256 posts, read 114,676 times
'anarcho-communism' is a self-negating term. Consider a couple definitions from dictionary.com:

Anarchy: a state of society without government or law.

Communism: a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.

So anarchy is the absence of all government and law while communism entails everything being owned and controlled by the government. So a society can't be both anarchic and communist; it's a fundamental contradiction.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:25 AM

...ok.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:15 AM

439 posts, read 424,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
'anarcho-communism' is a self-negating term. Consider a couple definitions from dictionary.com:

Anarchy: a state of society without government or law.

Communism: a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.

So anarchy is the absence of all government and law while communism entails everything being owned and controlled by the government. So a society can't be both anarchic and communist; it's a fundamental contradiction.
No.

It's a progression.

"Anarchist communism is more than an abstract vision of the future and it is more than a nostalgia for the revolutionary movements of the past. It is a living working class tradition that lays the foundations for the future society in the here and now. Everything we will be after capitalism we must learn under it and through the fight against it. The revolution is not and never can be a blank slate – that way lies the corpses piled up by ‘revolutionary’ terror in France and Russia and China and on and on and on. Instead, revolution must be built out of the materials to hand by people alive today."

INTRODUCTION TO ANARCHIST COMMUNISM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area