Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 11:08 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times

Advertisements

Can't sell a Subaru to an eastern-Warshingtonian if you aren't just in the right place at the right time, eh, Gaylord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 12:38 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

OP has this to look forward to on the Eastside.
Whatever. You were beginning to peg me as some sort of coddling progressive, supporting Seattle's riotous liberal youth and producing future system dependents.

Ain't going to happen...

Old 08-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I’d be careful in thinking the charismatic one has punched his ticket in life. I’m in sales. Charisma and looks don’t really matter as much as you think
Popularity and influence are his strengths and he's a collaborative learner/worker. I came up with these ideas (mafia boss is sort of a joke TBH) and open for more.

Right now he's striving to be a professional soccer player. His coach thinks he'll be able to play in college, but to be paid for it???

Responsible parenting = A solid and lucrative plan B, C and D.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:47 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Can't sell a Subaru to an eastern-Warshingtonian if you aren't just in the right place at the right time, eh, Gaylord?
oh, car sales? Idk about that, I still don't think looks matter there. I'm in software sales, good looks don't hurt, but nobody is making a 7 figure decision because you're funny and have sexy eyes. See it all the time. Thristy, 40 something year old manager hires a 23 year old former cheerleader right out of college and expects here to start bringing in million dollar deals.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
oh, car sales? Idk about that, I still don't think looks matter there. I'm in software sales, good looks don't hurt, but nobody is making a 7 figure decision because you're funny and have sexy eyes. See it all the time. Thristy, 40 something year old manager hires a 23 year old former cheerleader right out of college and expects here to start bringing in million dollar deals.
Charisma is SO much more than looks. My (estranged) father is an unattractive German Jew but built nearly an 8 figure net worth based on humor, extroversion, charm, savviness (and self-aggrandizement).

My son isn't so much these things either, but he's positive, confident and disarming. His teachers will report he talks too much, but still.. he's "wonderful" and a "leader". He handles himself with adults in ways that neither his dad or I, both introverts and shy, could do ourselves. His friends' dads admire him... approach him when he's out training.. talk shop about sports as if the kid was more their colleague or college buddy than their son's. We recently took him to my mother's funeral services in Wisconsin.. went to a corner bar for dinner and they had a couple football games on and a few guys at the bar turn to him and start in on a conversation with HIM as if he were some visiting rec-playing 3rd year at UW-Oshkosh and not a 13 year old from Seattle. And then the next day he literally silenced a whole room of relatives when him and my cousin's husband, a 50-something UPS driver who he never met, were making a raucous at the dining table telling their "war" stories of "back in their day". My cousin's husband was red-faced drunk and laughing himself to the floor with the soda-sipping middle schooler while the rest of us just looked on in confusion and amazement. Later driving home he self-assuringly asked us "So who was that guy? Did you hear our conversation?"

His super power is he is disarming and doesn't get intimidated by any other human being no matter their age, wealth, race, gender, etc. It seems trivial at first brush, but it's not. It's more important any of those other qualities I listed above, including physical attractiveness.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:40 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
I’d be careful in thinking the charismatic one has punched his ticket in life. I’m in sales. Charisma and looks don’t really matter as much as you think
I have a nephew in sales. He's not charismatic, and is very average-looking. But he hit the ground running, after getting his BA in something business/sales-related, and his career soared. He's building a family in the heart of Silicon Valley, where he grew up.

You're right; looks & charisma have nothing to do with it.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:03 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I stated a widely known fact that Asian/immigrant professional class parents tend to be more strict and have higher expectations for their children. "Dissing" them would be mean that I judge them negatively on this fact, which I don't recall having provided you evidence of.

I'm married to a high performing immigrant myself. His expectations for our children are higher than my middle class upbringing. We stress a STEM future with one kid.. the other kid won't need it: his charisma has everyone around him practically eating out of his hand... he'll have a future in sales or real estate or some sort of high-balling, people-pleasing career (politician? CFO? mafia boss?). Either way you don't have to worry about MY kids not sustaining a living because they'll inherit the two mortgage-free properties we have in Seattle, plus the proceeds when we sell our real estate holdings elsewhere and whatever we've got in our investment portfolio.

I admit they might come off a bit snowflakey though.. they really don't like leaving the east side because they think Seattle is turning into a slum by heroin addicts/homeless and bratty "protestors" seemingly hell bent on self-destruction.

I don't like it either so I guess that makes me a snow flake as well.. oh well...........
Kids with a golden spoon up their bums can head down dark paths. It's much better they learn to strive and work for things instead of having life handed to them.
Neither of my daughters left home with anything like that and today they can take care of themselves. True grit comes from doing it yourself.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Kids with a golden spoon up their bums can head down dark paths. It's much better they learn to strive and work for things instead of having life handed to them.
Neither of my daughters left home with anything like that and today they can take care of themselves. True grit comes from doing it yourself.
Of course. As another poster here likes to say "your milage may vary", but in the US parental income and choice of child-rearing location remain major influences on socioeconomic outcomes for children.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socioeconomic_mobility_in_the_United_States[/url]

True grit may or may not be necessary to stay off the government dole and at that point it's of no concern to anyone else how one takes care of their own needs.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I have a nephew in sales. He's not charismatic, and is very average-looking. But he hit the ground running, after getting his BA in something business/sales-related, and his career soared. He's building a family in the heart of Silicon Valley, where he grew up.

You're right; looks & charisma have nothing to do with it.
You will never meet a starving man who hustles. Almost every successful athlete worked hard. Yes, a lot of natural gifts and advantages ,but hard work is the one constant. Same as in modern day sales where everyone has access to information. Hustle overcomes all.

Now, of course it helps if you come from generational wealth and your grandparents rubbed elbows with the Vanderbilts and Rockerfellers, but we're not talking sales are we?

There used to be a stereotype that only extroverts can sell. In complex sales cycles, like software, introverts are every bit as appealing. I'm not sure about car or washer and dryer sales though.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Charisma is SO much more than looks. My (estranged) father is an unattractive German Jew but built nearly an 8 figure net worth based on humor, extroversion, charm, savviness (and self-aggrandizement).

My son isn't so much these things either, but he's positive, confident and disarming. His teachers will report he talks too much, but still.. he's "wonderful" and a "leader". He handles himself with adults in ways that neither his dad or I, both introverts and shy, could do ourselves. His friends' dads admire him... approach him when he's out training.. talk shop about sports as if the kid was more their colleague or college buddy than their son's. We recently took him to my mother's funeral services in Wisconsin.. went to a corner bar for dinner and they had a couple football games on and a few guys at the bar turn to him and start in on a conversation with HIM as if he were some visiting rec-playing 3rd year at UW-Oshkosh and not a 13 year old from Seattle. And then the next day he literally silenced a whole room of relatives when him and my cousin's husband, a 50-something UPS driver who he never met, were making a raucous at the dining table telling their "war" stories of "back in their day". My cousin's husband was red-faced drunk and laughing himself to the floor with the soda-sipping middle schooler while the rest of us just looked on in confusion and amazement. Later driving home he self-assuringly asked us "So who was that guy? Did you hear our conversation?"

His super power is he is disarming and doesn't get intimidated by any other human being no matter their age, wealth, race, gender, etc. It seems trivial at first brush, but it's not. It's more important any of those other qualities I listed above, including physical attractiveness.
Those are good skills. I am your son, in a way. All of that has happened to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area