Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 04:48 PM

153 posts, read 131,780 times

Advertisements

Okay people are just arguing about when the sun goes down now lol. I've got more than enough info to help answer my original question, I appreciate everyones feedback but this thread can be finished now. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 09:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
. I've got more than enough info to help answer my original question, I appreciate everyones feedback but this thread can be finished now. Thank you!
Since you're a bicyclist, we will recognize you by your muddy stripes on your soaked clothes.

Maybe by your umbrella.

If you drive a beater car.... By your foggy windows and having to wear overshoes due to 2" of rain ,/ muck on your car floors. Due to leaking car window molding .

Drizzle is not a big deal if you have an office job and. No lawn to mow, or roof to repair. Renting a home / apartment solves a lot of headache and repair issues.

Get a place to live with huge south facing windows.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:39 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Save the unwarranted attacks for your own circle of actual acquaintances. I don’t do weed in any form.

We USED to live farther west than you do, with the sea on three sides. It most certainly was not dark at 9:45pm. Perhaps your vision is impaired by illicit substances.

Your reading comprehension also shows signs of drug damage. Reread what I wrote about winter darkness, specifically WHY it was dark earlier than 4:30 pm. I didn’t say the sun set earlier, just to spell it out for you.
Well maybe you should then....

Darkness and sunset are 2 different things.

You said, "Not dark till after 10:30 pm".

So Im guessing you were in W Seattle? Still, it is not light at 10:30pm.

Cheers!

Old 09-05-2020, 04:48 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Depends on your definition of "dark".

Astronomical twilight does NOT end until midnight on June 21st. It begins again at about 2:30 am.

If you want to do astronomy.....you have 2.5 hours on June 21st!!! Most of May and July are gone as well.

Years ago, I was on a plane flight and met a guy from Hawaii that spent a summer in eastern Washington and asked him what he really noticed about eastern Washington. His answer was the LONG TWILIGHTS.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:55 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,254 times
For many (most?) folks, it isn't the drizzle that's oppressive as much as the short days of winter.

I used to complain about the overcast/wet days here from time to time. But with a trend of hotter (and drier) summers for a good number of years now (this year wasn't too bad, however), I've learned to appreciate a good cool, overcast morning here.

I still don't like it getting dark at 4PM in December. But overall, you could do a lot worse climate-wise IMO.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:49 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Depends on your definition of "dark".

Astronomical twilight does NOT end until midnight on June 21st. It begins again at about 2:30 am.

If you want to do astronomy.....you have 2.5 hours on June 21st!!! Most of May and July are gone as well.

Years ago, I was on a plane flight and met a guy from Hawaii that spent a summer in eastern Washington and asked him what he really noticed about eastern Washington. His answer was the LONG TWILIGHTS.
The twilight in eastern WA is actually Seattle's light pollution
Us PNW people visiting California are amazed how late the sun rises and how early the sun sets in high summer.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:26 AM

692 posts, read 855,799 times
Texan here: the reply up above nails it. The drizzle is a joke. It's a tiny mild inconvenience. The darkness, otoh, is real and has real and obvious effects. When I visit for training (4-6 times a year), I watch natives "light up" and "moulder" based purely on how much sunshine there is.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:30 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
If it's drizzling, it means you're not in wildfire season. So be happy!

Old 09-09-2020, 02:18 PM

351 posts, read 342,396 times
You can read the opinions in this post, but the difference in what you actually see on a nice sunny day during the summer vs. the tiniest amount of grey/drizzle is staggering; it's literally parks full of people vs. almost nobody outside.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:22 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
You can read the opinions in this post, but the difference in what you actually see on a nice sunny day during the summer vs. the tiniest amount of grey/drizzle is staggering; it's literally parks full of people vs. almost nobody outside.
exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area