Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 09:13 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times

Advertisements

Article link here: https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...9-c46d48f3bbf8

"The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) said it reached a major milestone in the effort to reduce traffic deaths on city streets. Hundreds of speed limit signs have been added to encourage drivers to take it slow. The National Safety Council (NSC) said traffic deaths in 2020 were the highest in 13 years, despite the coronavirus pandemic impacting driving patterns.

One of the ways to change that, the NSC said, is by doing something Seattle just completed. "Speed is one of the critical factors that determines both how many crashes there are, and the likelihood that someone survived, if they are hit by a car,” said Ethan Bergerson, SDOT spokesperson.

Since December 2019, SDOT has been lowering speed limits to 25 mph on about 415 miles of city streets.
The speed limit on smaller streets without a dividing center line, and near schools when children are present, is always 20 mph.

"We found that when you've got a more consistent speed limit across the city, people know that default speed limit is 25 miles per hour, people are more likely to follow it.” Bergerson said case studies conducted in five neighborhoods show a 20% to 40% drop in the number of crashes in locations with new 25 mph speed limit signs. It’s something that could help with the city’s Vision Zero initiative to end traffic injuries and deaths by 2030. "If someone is hit by a car traveling 25 miles per hour, they're twice as likely to survive as somebody hit by a car travelling 30 mph,” said Bergerson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 10:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Perfect way to increase road rage IMO. Wrong move. The old limits were fine. Nanny State in full force.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Perfect way to increase road rage IMO. Wrong move. The old limits were fine. Nanny State in full force.
Agreed. They brought Airport Way down to 35 max. Does anyone go 35? No. Are there ever any police officers to enforce it? No.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:08 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Other moronic moves are

http://www.seattle.gov/transportatio...ealthy-streets

No one pays attention to the above, in my hood we have a bunch of them. No one was out there before the signs and no one is out there after the signs.

What a waste of our money.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Agreed. They brought Airport Way down to 35 max. Does anyone go 35? No. Are there ever any police officers to enforce it? No.
Exactly. Lowering speed limits with little enforcement is a recipe for disaster. Again, bad timing by the great city of Seattle. If the SPD can’t protect the citizens from the homeless and rioters I doubt they can enforce an illogical speed limit. What a freaking joke.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:32 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
This might be annoying, depending on the street, but it probably is the right move. Preventing some percentage of accidents, and making the accidents that do happen less dangerous, is worth it. I'm not gonna say I drive the prescribed 25 mph on 85th St NW, especially at night, but I definitely drive slower than I would if it were 30 or 35 --- I try to stay <10 over whatever the limit is in general.

The one street where I do think the speed limit should be raised is 15th Ave NW south of Ballard. There's no reason for such a long, straight, flat stretch of road to be 30 mph when there's little pedestrian traffic (no sidewalks even, for part of the route), few shops or restaurants, and few intersections.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:34 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I definitely drive slower than I would if it were 30 or 35 --- I try to stay <10 over whatever the limit is in general.
How is this safe? 35 in a 45 zone is not safer. It's quite the opposite because of many other problems that could cause.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:19 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
How is this safe? 35 in a 45 zone is not safer. It's quite the opposite because of many other problems that could cause.
I said less than 10 over the limit, which is pretty typical. You're right that it's safer in general when drivers are all going pretty similar speeds, which is often more likely with higher speed limits, but apparently the people studying this particular implementation of 25 mph speeds in Seattle found that it has reduced accidents --- I assume because drivers feel like 25 is still within the range of reasonable speeds to expect. I imagine the results would be different if, say, the city set these speed limits at 15.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:14 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
...and they do zero about the encampment on Hardy (north end of B.F.)

Old 03-08-2021, 09:41 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I said less than 10 over the limit, which is pretty typical. You're right that it's safer in general when drivers are all going pretty similar speeds, which is often more likely with higher speed limits, but apparently the people studying this particular implementation of 25 mph speeds in Seattle found that it has reduced accidents --- I assume because drivers feel like 25 is still within the range of reasonable speeds to expect. I imagine the results would be different if, say, the city set these speed limits at 15.
I misunderstood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: