Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 PM

25 posts, read 107,980 times

Advertisements

We are being transferred to the Seattle area and are looking for something near the Airport which is where my husbands office will be. What is Des Moines like ? Are the schools good, Mount Ranier High is rated hightly on great schools.com but it is not always accurate. What are some other area's with good schools and good access to both the airport and downtown Seattle ?

I appreciate your insights.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I like Des Moines. It''s got nice waterfront, a quaint downtown with a single screen movie theatre, and some nice eateries.
In general, south end school districts are not as good as eastside or northend districts.
I had a co-worker who lived in Des Moines, and her son went to middle school there. She thought highly of it.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Des Moines is generally a pretty nice area since it's on the water and property values are accordingly high. Like nearby Burien it's an area often forgotten and overlooked because people don't generally pass through there to go somewhere elses since it not "on the way" to anywhere else. Most people only go to Des Moines when they are actually GOING TO DES MOINES.

A LOT of expensive homes in the area - many of them with AWESOME views, and the downtown waterfront kind of reminds me a quieter version of Kirkland's (which is a good thing). All in all, I would think Des Moines would generally be a good place to live.

Ken

Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,966 times
We rented in Des Moines for a while when we first moved to the area. The jet noise from the airport was more that we could stand. Forget about sleeping late on Saturday morning. Also, It took about 45 minutes to drive to Seattle and that was too far for us. Other than that we liked the area.

If noise bothers you you can check out google maps to see what areas are in the flight path. The airport runways are north and south.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
We rented near Des Moines and I totally agree the airport noise is very invasive. We paused our conversations whenever a jet went over (same thing when talking on the phone). You get used to it after awhile. I would never move back because of the noise but it was an OK place while we lived there.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
It's odd, the flight paths. I've been very near the airport, but barely heard any planes, but when I lived in the Central District, I'd hear planes all the time. More than likely, some parts of Des Moines are more heavily affected than others.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's odd, the flight paths. I've been very near the airport, but barely heard any planes, but when I lived in the Central District, I'd hear planes all the time. More than likely, some parts of Des Moines are more heavily affected than others.
Indeed, that is very much the case.

Ken

Old 05-10-2008, 03:15 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,966 times
The worst noise is to the north and south of the airport. If you live to the east or west the planes aren't flying directly over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area