Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 07:27 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times

Advertisements

Article link here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sea...d-16055842.php

“It's been over a year since the COVID-19 pandemic emptied office buildings in downtown Seattle, sending many workers in a "new normal" of remote work.

But a newly published report found that demand for office space in the Emerald City is growing, placing it "within an arm’s length of pre-crisis levels."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 10:29 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Workers will be called back into the office because so few people are self-starters. Left to their own devices they'd rather sleep in, play with their kids, or do online gaming than to work at their job while no one is looking at them.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:30 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Office romance, socialize, cabin fever are reasons to go back.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:56 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Workers will be called back into the office because so few people are self-starters. Left to their own devices they'd rather sleep in, play with their kids, or do online gaming than to work at their job while no one is looking at them.
This idea is common, and I'm sure that most employers believe it, but it's... suspect. I'm seeing a mix of studies claiming that WFH improves, harms, or doesn't affect productivity.

I am surprised that demand is nearing pre-COVID levels so early, though. I sure hope those people who bought houses in the far outer suburbs and eastern WA are working at the few companies that are staying remote.

Old 03-27-2021, 02:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Well seattle is a work=life grind employees into the ground town, so can’t say I’m surprised. I suspect it’ll be different though, as there was apparently quite the exodus from WA last year when WFH became the thing. It went from one of the most moved to states to one of the most moved away FROM

Old 03-27-2021, 05:43 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
The housing situation in Seattle is in tents.

Intense? Bah-dum-tish.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:49 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Well seattle is a work=life grind employees into the ground town, so can’t say I’m surprised. I suspect it’ll be different though, as there was apparently quite the exodus from WA last year when WFH became the thing. It went from one of the most moved to states to one of the most moved away FROM

Seacove is happy about this, Very.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
According to this article, WA is still the best state overall, and while the most moved-to states are the low cost of living states (exception being Hawaii) WA state change is still 54.5% new people moving in and only 45.5% moving out.

Interesting chart on incomes, shows that most coming into WA state are making over $150k incomes.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ic-study-finds

Old 04-07-2021, 03:38 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
According to this article, WA is still the best state overall, and while the most moved-to states are the low cost of living states (exception being Hawaii) WA state change is still 54.5% new people moving in and only 45.5% moving out.

Interesting chart on incomes, shows that most coming into WA state are making over $150k incomes.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ic-study-finds
for the life of me i cannot see why nightmare commutes no parking
etc etc

Last edited by dav51lin; 04-07-2021 at 04:38 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 09:55 PM

240 posts, read 195,629 times
Washington takes top spot on list of state economies hit the least by COVID-19

Washington in recent weeks has been slowly opening up its economy as more people across the state get vaccinated.

About two weeks ago, every county in the state moved to Phase 3 of Washington's reopening plan, meaning most indoor places including restaurants and gyms could open at 50%.

Despite the slow reopening over the past year, according to a new updated study from Wallethub, Washington now takes the top spot on a new list of state economies least hit by the coronavirus.

"The U.S. is still struggling to recover from the unemployment caused by business closures, too. While the federal government has helped mitigate some of this damage through multiple rounds of business loans, direct stimulus payments to individuals and increased unemployment benefits, it will take a long time for state economies to fully recover."

But, the rate of recovery has varied widely from state to state over the past year.
The study looked at a number of factors to determine which state economies were hit the most and least by the pandemic, including the share of employment from highly affected industries, the percent change in the number of small businesses open, the share of workers working from home and with access to paid sick leave and Wallethub's rankings of states whose unemployment claims were recovering the quickest.

Throughout the pandemic, thousands of people in Washington and across the country have lost their jobs and many businesses have had to close down for good. In recent weeks, as more people have become eligible for vaccines and supply increases, Washington has been reopening more fully.

But, health officials in the state in recent weeks have been increasingly concerned about rising cases, especially with the spread of new variants in the community thought to spread more easily and quickly. State officials have said counties could be moved back a phase if they do not meet a series of key metrics, which could impact the state's economy once again.

Still, local, state and federal officials have been working over the past year to provide relief to tenants and businesses that have been struggling over the past year to afford rent and other basic necessities.

https://www.seattlepi.com/coronaviru...y-16077994.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area