Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times

Advertisements

As I have pointed out is recent months Charleston is experiencing alot of growth in and around the city. The demand for office space in town is very high, and experts predict that new construction is probably on its way.

High demand for office space could mean more construction* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

Good article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
It is a good article, and if you read it carefully it points out a culprit, if you will. The State of West Virginia is using one of the town's prime office locations for, of all things, a lottery headquarters. That has created a shortage of office space that is negatively impacting commercial activities.
I wasn't aware that their had been such an exponential growth of lotter activities that it was necessary for the State to move from the previous lottery office location to the new one. The whole thing kind of smells like taking tax money and putting it in the pockets of political cronies to me, and that is without even knowing any of the principals involved in the transactions.

I guess my question is... who profited from the state's involvement with the current lottery office location? And, who will be the primary benefactors of the additional building this will engender? Developmental activities all sound nice on paper, but for everything gained there is always something lost, a trade off. Could it be that in this case the real, underlying losers are taxpayers? I don't know, but it sounds interesting. Perhaps I'm being reactionary, but I have a tendency to be skeptical of anything that takes place in Charleston. I suppose it is my personal bias.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It is a good article, and if you read it carefully it points out a culprit, if you will. The State of West Virginia is using one of the town's prime office locations for, of all things, a lottery headquarters. That has created a shortage of office space that is negatively impacting commercial activities.
I wasn't aware that their had been such an exponential growth of lotter activities that it was necessary for the State to move from the previous lottery office location to the new one. The whole thing kind of smells like taking tax money and putting it in the pockets of political cronies to me, and that is without even knowing any of the principals involved in the transactions.

I guess my question is... who profited from the state's involvement with the current lottery office location? And, who will be the primary benefactors of the additional building this will engender? Developmental activities all sound nice on paper, but for everything gained there is always something lost, a trade off. Could it be that in this case the real, underlying losers are taxpayers? I don't know, but it sounds interesting. Perhaps I'm being reactionary, but I have a tendency to be skeptical of anything that takes place in Charleston. I suppose it is my personal bias.
The Lottery was using an old warehouse as its offices, they did need a new home. But that isn't the only factor that has made demand high, like the article says. Energy companies (mostly envolved in natuaral gas) have been moving into town and are still locating here. Also we are just naturally growing here.

Why would taxpayers lose out on the lottery growing? that would mean that more money is be trickeled down into tax apyer funded services like schools and state parks.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
Quote:

The old lottery space was in a mixture of old warehouse space and the former Steak and Ale restaurant...not exactly a suitable site. Not everything is a political conspiracy.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The Lottery was using an old warehouse as its offices, they did need a new home. But that isn't the only factor that has made demand high, like the article says. Energy companies (mostly envolved in natuaral gas) have been moving into town and are still locating here. Also we are just naturally growing here.

Why would taxpayers lose out on the lottery growing? that would mean that more money is be trickeled down into tax apyer funded services like schools and state parks.
Nah, Chris. I didn't mean taxpayers would lose money if the lottery grew. I meant taxpayers would lose money if the lottery was functioning fine in its old location but moved into new, more expensive digs at taxpayer expense. I don't think the lottery has grown. In fact, I believe I read somewhere that proceeds were down. But the move took place. If you are correct, and there is this swarm of energy company activity to be near the political center during the marcellus boom, then either the lottery moved at the wrong time or they moved at the wrong time on purpose (read at the direction of politicos) in order to make one of them or their cronies rich on the backs of taxpayers.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Nah, Chris. I didn't mean taxpayers would lose money if the lottery grew. I meant taxpayers would lose money if the lottery was functioning fine in its old location but moved into new, more expensive digs at taxpayer expense. I don't think the lottery has grown. In fact, I believe I read somewhere that proceeds were down. But the move took place. If you are correct, and there is this swarm of energy company activity to be near the political center during the marcellus boom, then either the lottery moved at the wrong time or they moved at the wrong time on purpose (read at the direction of politicos) in order to make one of them or their cronies rich on the backs of taxpayers.
I bet you also believed the government did 9-11

Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM

No, the government didn't do 9-11. I lived in that area at the time, and witnessed the consequences first hand. In fact, I have major health issues as a result of that, but the government did not do that. My across the street neighbor was a NYC fireman. Most of his station were killed including his best friend, a man I knew. The sister in law of a woman with whom I worked every day was killed there. There were two people in my National Guard unit who were killed there while they worked at their civilian jobs. My first cousin's neice (from Parkersburg) was an attorney who was killed there. Our government had nothing to do with 9-11. Homicidal/suicidal maniacs did that. Nobody from a civilized country could ever have done something like that.

I catch your drift, you're suggesting that I am saying this is some sort of conspiracy. In a way it is a sort of long term situation engineered by design, but I wouldn't call it a conspiracy per se. Let me explain it this way... you seem like a bright young man to me. From reading your posts, I have a strong hunch you are at least as smart as either one of our US Senators from West Virginia. Suppose you decided to run against one of them for election. What chance would you have?

I'll answer that for you, and you can disagree (please give reasons though) if you choose. You have virtually zero chance even if you are way smarter than either of them. You don't have (1) the millions it would cost to be a serious contender, or (2) the backing of the elite movers and shakers who have the millions it would cost to be a serious contender.

Make no mistake, we are in essence ruled by the super rich elitists (they are in both political parties), and it will likely always be that way. If you can break into that select circle, it would be with them kicking and screaming all the while that you are somehow "unqualified" or "ignorant" (look at how the elitist controlled media depicts Palin, for example, with gross distortion), and your campaign would be given virtually no positive press attention. Is it possible? Perhaps, but not to the extent that enough people could do it to foist control from the ruling elite. You'd be the odd man out... like Dennis Kucinich or Sarah Palin.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 02-19-2012 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Didn't mean to strike a wrong cord, just wanted to make a point that conspiracy is normally a gateway to unhealthy thinking. I don't think that the state government held any kind of "second agenda" when they decided to move to City Center West. They have been planning on getting new facilities for the majority of this decade, and with the avalabilty of the center they were able to upgrade. As said before, they were using a former warehouse and an old restaurant building. They had planned on building a new building, but they decided that it would be cheaper to buy a used one. The lottery isn't the only ones using the building either cause Blue Cross Blue shild also has offices in that building.

I am flattered that you would even mention me in the same breath as our heroic Joe and Jay, and would agree that I don't have the resources needed to back that kind of campaign. I'd almost have to change my party affiliation to even get considered a political office in this state.

As far as media influence and bias, couldn't agree more. There are millions of misled people in our nation, that NBC could almost say anything and half the people watching wouldn't question them.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Didn't mean to strike a wrong cord, just wanted to make a point that conspiracy is normally a gateway to unhealthy thinking. I don't think that the state government held any kind of "second agenda" when they decided to move to City Center West. They have been planning on getting new facilities for the majority of this decade, and with the avalabilty of the center they were able to upgrade. As said before, they were using a former warehouse and an old restaurant building. They had planned on building a new building, but they decided that it would be cheaper to buy a used one. The lottery isn't the only ones using the building either cause Blue Cross Blue shild also has offices in that building.

I am flattered that you would even mention me in the same breath as our heroic Joe and Jay, and would agree that I don't have the resources needed to back that kind of campaign. I'd almost have to change my party affiliation to even get considered a political office in this state.

As far as media influence and bias, couldn't agree more. There are millions of misled people in our nation, that NBC could almost say anything and half the people watching wouldn't question them.
It was meant as a compliment to you, not to your heroes. It goes a lot further than the media, but it certainly is there too. Try being a college student today and disagreeing with the ultra left mindset that promotes the one world "global" mindset that is gradually forcing us to embrace the notion that we should be a part of a lowest common denominator third world "globe" and accept our lot of competing with $8 per day wages. Or, you could go to a "conservative" college and be fed the same crap with them telling you it is all about "free" markets... different words, same result.

At the same time, the kids of those calling the shots do not go to the same public schools that have been ruined with rampant crime and cultural discord brought about with the presence of a disproportionate share of illegal aliens. They don't share communities with them either, or have to worry about being treated in hospitals that are inundated with them while they don't pay for their care but the rest of us do. And, in spite of the feel good rhetoric they don't have to worry about competing with the low wage illegals and outsourced jobs. They have trust funds and collusive prime jobs removed from all the dirt and grime.

Point of curiosity... who owned the building the lottery purchased? Who is planning to build a new office building (or is it a secret waiting for later disclosure?)?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
I think Chesapeake Energy owned the building but I could be mistaken.

New offices are being planned along with the new Courtyard on the former Elk River Town Center Inn lot.

The former Stone and Thomas is also available (again, I could be mistaken).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston