Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 03:17 AM

726 posts, read 1,366,263 times

Advertisements

Hi. I moved to the Pacific NW (suburb north of Seattle) in part for cooler weather. I really don't like hot weather and I don't like sticky humidity/muggy. So my biggest concern in figuring out exactly where I might like to buy a place is what's the weather like in the summer. For other reasons, I've narrowed it down mostly to Edmonds, Lynnwood, Shoreline, and NW Seattle (probably no further south than northern Ballard and probably north of that).... and not too far east. I might also consider Forest Lake or Mountlake Terrace. So, staying within this region, could you guys give me insights into the microclimates of the region, especially in regards to summer weather.... which spots are coolest/less muggy and which spots are hottest/most muggy? I realize there's variation from year to year but I'm hoping some of you have lived in the area a long time and have some grand insights for me :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have been her (Sammamish) for 27 years, and have yet to experience any "muggy" summer weather anywhere in the area. Except for an occasional summer rain the humidity is very low when it's sunny in the summer (July 5-mid-September). The microclimates are determined by elevation, water, and mountains. Where we are is colder in winter and warmer in summer due to being at 600' elevation, but all of those cities are close to sea level, and have a marine influence from being close to Puget Sound. You should make your decision based on factors other than weather. All of the cities in your post have the same weather.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:19 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Edmonds has the coolest summer being on the water. Sometimes the difference in the summer especially during heat waves between places like Edmonds (north of Seattle) and Renton/Issaquah (south or east of Seattle) can be 5-10 degrees F. Having said that, none of the places in Seattle area are muggy.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:52 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
You often get a marine layer (overcast in the mornings) closer to the water that keep things cool. Edmonds, Shoreline and parts of Lynnwood that are practically Edmonds would work. Mukilteo also. Western exposure though can get very hot in the afternoons facing the water. Your best bet might just be to get a place with central AC or a heat pump with AC.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:03 PM

726 posts, read 1,366,263 times
Do most homes in this region have AC? I definitely want that for the warmest parts of the summer but also prefer a home designed for cross breeze and fresh air. Good reminder on the western exposure. I'm at a place now where the western exposure makes it much warmer inside than outside.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Do most homes in this region have AC? I definitely want that for the warmest parts of the summer but also prefer a home designed for cross breeze and fresh air. Good reminder on the western exposure. I'm at a place now where the western exposure makes it much warmer inside than outside.
No, most don't, though many newer ones do now. We have two window units, in the family room and in our master bedroom, though with our triple-pane windows the highest it gets in summer is 75 downstairs, 77 upstairs. We like to keep it at 72. Central AC would be really wasted cooling all 3,000 sf with the kids grown and gone, when we spend almost all day in the family room/kitchen except to sleep.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:58 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
If you get a place with central air, rather than baseboard heat, you can easily add a combo heating/cooling unit to that. IOW, they'll remover your old furnace, and give you a more efficient and compact one, that includes an air conditioner with it. A/C is very cheap when you have it via a central air system.

Some older homes in the area have oil furnaces. AVOID! Very expensive!

West Seattle actually has the coolest climate of all.
Quote:
EDMONDS
Month. High / Low(°F)
June... 72° / 50°
July... 77° / 53°
August 77° / 53°
Quote:
WEST SEATTLE
Month High / Low(°F)
June.....66° / 54°
July......72° / 57°
August..72° / 57°
Edmonds seems to be cooler at night, fwiw. And it depends on where you are in W Seattle. If you're near Lincoln Park (overlooking the water), or near Alki Beach, you'd get more cooling breezes, than if. you were farther inland.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-30-2021 at 05:20 PM..

Old 04-30-2021, 07:04 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you get a place with central air, rather than baseboard heat, you can easily add a combo heating/cooling unit to that. IOW, they'll remover your old furnace, and give you a more efficient and compact one, that includes an air conditioner with it. A/C is very cheap when you have it via a central air system.

Some older homes in the area have oil furnaces. AVOID! Very expensive!

West Seattle actually has the coolest climate of all.

Edmonds seems to be cooler at night, fwiw. And it depends on where you are in W Seattle. If you're near Lincoln Park (overlooking the water), or near Alki Beach, you'd get more cooling breezes, than if. you were farther inland.
Edmonds doesn't have 77F average highs in July and August. Even SeaTac which is warmer than Edmonds doesn't. Where did you find these temperatures?

Old 04-30-2021, 07:08 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
The undiscovered SW Washington is nice and cool in the summer. Most days in Skamokawa seem to be about 70- much nicer than Seattle and way more scenic. A little growth might be nice but we don't want to become like the rest of the Western part of the state. I found 503 acres overlooking (and touching in parts) the Columbia River for under $700k. Love it.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I think most responses here are correct. Like many metros in North America, Seattle is colder in the north. Being near the Sound actually modifies extremes in both summer and winter. In general it will be colder in Lynnwood (north) compared to Federal Way (south). Also the heat island has been increasing in central Seattle with the massive numbers of new buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area