Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 09:50 AM

7,553 posts, read 17,305,769 times

Advertisements

Bothell's value increases are locked-in. Its medical manufacturing and R&D sector will continue to grow. This industry + proximity to Kirkland (Google) and other eastside sectors means good value for money, if you can afford it.

East Renton is likely the least appreciating. Renton is in a good place for commuting and commercial options, though.

Maple Valley is a bit further out and is influenced more by Kent & Renton. It's just a little different than Bothell, ERH & Sammamish.

Personally I'd choose ERH because I prioritize affordability, proximity, and older vibe. However that is a very personal choice after having lived here for years. You should try to visit each of these communities if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 04:32 AM

238 posts, read 100,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluckr7 View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies.

As I’m thinking a little more, I’m second guessing my initial thought about tolerating a 1 hour commute. I think the plan would be remote work but probably should hedge for possibly needing to commute into the city in the future.

Anyone have any insight on the Bothell, Sammamish, East Renton, Maple Valley? And to clarify this is in “normal” non Covid times.
I was in the East Renton/Maple Valley area for the last 10 years. The commute to Seattle wasn't bad... 45 mins to an hour in "good" traffic but I worked a 6-2:30 shift. For the record... Seattle traffic sucks and is often congested.

I recently moved to Florida... and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiva View Post
Sammammish is a really good area, we're looking there in our current search. You won't get a single family 4BR for $1.4M unless you're okay with under maybe 2300 sq ft.
Madness like that was the main reason. ^

https://komonews.com/news/project-se...-homeless-camp

https://komonews.com/news/local/enca...rn-frustration

https://komonews.com/news/project-se...erns-neighbors

All that was close behind on the list. ^

The perks of voting Democratic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Light rail will be expanding to Redmond in 2023-2024. An insurance policy in case of a future commute could be to live within reach of that line.
Ahhhh yes... won't miss those $500 yearly car tabs either for financing a light rail I hardly ever used.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:45 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,185,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluckr7 View Post
Hi all,

We're thinking of moving to the Seattle area and were hoping to crowdsource some recommendations on areas to focus in on. We're very early in the process (it's basically just an idea), so we're just sort of screening what our money could get us.

We've looked (online) at the Eastside suburbs, and it seems like maybe our budget would place us as far out as Sammamish? Any other areas to consider?

Hard requirements:
- Good schools, family and kid friendly - i.e. surburban vibe, parks and playgrounds
- SFH, 4+ BR with yard
- ~$1.4M budget

Soft wants:
- Good commercial areas somewhat close by (decent restaurants and shopping)
- Within ~1 hour of the city. Remote work with only occasional need to go into Seattle

Also, what's a typical property tax rate?

Thanks in advance.
Examine one of the neighborhoods near downtown Kirkland. That's low-median price for the kind of place you want, note however that my buddy who had a house built in Sammamish claims you can buy more for less there. Norkirk and a few other Kirkland neighborhoods check off your hard and soft (constraints). I thought about that years ago and decided that convenience trumped the somewhat more-rural upside of Samm.

I live a mile north of downtown Kirkland which is a pleasant stroll or quick drive. Local bus down the street, too, though I don't know if that's running frequently these days. The 255 bus used to go to the Transit Center, then to downtown Seattle as-well and I used that for commuting a couple months in '17 (worked great). The route's changed but still is a viable option for avoiding the traffic beast if one "must" go into Seattle-proper on a daily basis. That was before WFH which I find immensely more satisfying.

I couldn't be dragged away from here. Not sure how inventory is these days...that's what realtors are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area